UI was better looking in the TOP manga arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: UI was better looking in the TOP manga arc?

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:37 am

KentMan wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:18 pm
mute_proxy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:33 pm
Dragon Wukong wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:10 pm UI is an SSG recolor regardless, it's just either Toei's SSG or Toriyama's.

Yes, Toei re-used the SSG hair they made for Battle of Gods that didn't make it on Ultra Instinct.
It's a recolor in Toriyama's drawing only,

Toei made him buff and slightly lifted his hair spikes, Toyotaro also lifted the hair.
It really is no matter what Toei or Toyotaro does buffing it up makes it no different than Kaioken
I don't really understand what point you're trying to make there.

I just said that it's a legit recolor in Toriyama's character sketch only, and in the official adaptations the form has been adjusted (body and hair).

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:26 am

mute_proxy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:37 am I don't really understand what point you're trying to make there.

I just said that it's a legit recolor in Toriyama's character sketch only, and in the official adaptations the form has been adjusted (body and hair).
What I mean is it’ll look like Kaioken buffness and Toyotaro when having Goku transform in UI against Granolah had the exact same pose as SSG. The resemblance that Toyotaro made was likely intentional, i for one was applauding him for such a wonderful design he had in the TOP.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:13 am

I liked both versions skinny and muscular. Since Toriyama only recolored his original SSJG sketch and changed the eyes, he might not have intended for it to be that visually distinct from SSJG.

The way I saw it was that SSJG is like the standard SSJ introduced in the Freeza saga, SSJB and its variants are like the grades, and UI is basically FPSSJG. Blue Evolution and UE might be similar to further training the SSJ grades but mastering UI could be the most efficient route.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:29 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:43 pm Lol 3 different opinions here.

I think it looks absolutely the best in the Moro arc. It being skinny in the ToP made it too similar to ssj god. I also absolutely love it being completely calm and auraless.

It looks completely atrocious in the anime. I mean the design is fine, but I seriously can not understand how anyone can think that CGI aura covering everything looks good. Some of the action was beautifully animated and then just completely obliterated by being covered in these bloomy FX where you can barely see what's going on.
I'm a big fan of most of the CG auras in the anime. There's only a few I didn't like, such as Gaudy Blue Vegeta. SSG and SSB are much better designs with the aura IMO. I feel the same with UI Omen, but full UI was kind of gaudy at times.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

MrGohanks
Temporarily Banned

Post by MrGohanks » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:43 pm

Not only does UI look visually worse in the ToP manga compared to the manga, the way its written and utilized in the ToP manga is far worse too.

With a few exceptions, Toriyama's current art and designs tend to suck. Yuyu Takahashi and Shintani tend do make way better looking artwork. Even Yamamoro's MUI looks a lot better than Toriyama's in promo art.

Also, the use of UI in the manga ToP was so underwhelming and pointless since it fails to make any kind of impression, whereas in the anime version even UI Omen version was given an impactful debut in the hour special as well as solid fears to demonstrate its power like beating Kefla or effortlessly dodging Dsypo.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:19 pm

MrGohanks wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:43 pm Not only does UI look visually worse in the ToP manga compared to the manga, the way its written and utilized in the ToP manga is far worse too.

With a few exceptions, Toriyama's current art and designs tend to suck. Yuyu Takahashi and Shintani tend do make way better looking artwork. Even Yamamoro's MUI looks a lot better than Toriyama's in promo art.

Also, the use of UI in the manga ToP was so underwhelming and pointless since it fails to make any kind of impression, whereas in the anime version even UI Omen version was given an impactful debut in the hour special as well as solid fears to demonstrate its power like beating Kefla or effortlessly dodging Dsypo.
Wow that makes UI in the manga TOP better than the anime version. Thank you Toriyama for continuing the manga not the anime.

MrGohanks
Temporarily Banned

Post by MrGohanks » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:19 pm

MrGohanks wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:43 pm Not only does UI look visually worse in the ToP manga compared to the anime, the way its written and utilized in the ToP manga is far worse too.

Also, the use of UI in the manga ToP was so underwhelming and pointless since it fails to make any kind of impression, whereas in the anime version even UI Omen version was given an impactful debut in the hour special as well as solid feats to demonstrate its power like beating Kefla or effortlessly dodging Dsypo.
Fixed for typos

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:52 pm

No, I appreciate that toyotaro has fixed the horrible design that he had in the TOP MANGA