Complete Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT now streaming on Crunchyroll

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Complete Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT now streaming on Crunchyroll

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:41 pm

Just announced now, you can see the entire original anime trilogy on Crunchyroll.

This is great news for anyone who doesn't own the series, but would like to rewatch soon without having to spend a lot of money. Both dub and sub are available.

Sadly this doesn't include UK, Ireland or Nordic countries, but if your in any other English-speaking regions today is your day. Unfortunately this means I am not able to confirm which remaster, but FunimationNow has used Dragon Box footage before so this may be lucky for anyone here in more ways than one.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Complete Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT now streaming on Crunchyroll

Post by M16U3L2015 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:18 pm

Sadly, for DBZ they used the Season Sets and there is no subtitled version.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Re: Complete Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT now streaming on Crunchyroll

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:32 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:41 pm Sadly this doesn't include UK, Ireland or Nordic countries
Pretty frustrating to see this ad on the home page, only to be taken to a 404 error message. For a moment, I thought that they'd put the ad up early.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:49 pm

Sometimes what they stream on the website and what they stream on the app is different, for FUNimation. The same may be true for Crunchyroll.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:24 pm

Weird not seeing the FUNimation brand on it

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:57 am

And yet still no Kai? Man... That's one hell of a broadcasting agreement Funimation signed.

As this is new, I expect that the Dragon Ball series will slowly start getting all of its features in order within the next couple of months.

Also--unrelated--but I'm really curious if the Shin Chan dub will just be lost to time since Funimation's license ran out.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:52 pm

Mmmm. I have not heared anything about mexico, but 2 weeks ago this was on the news (in spanish, sorry):
https://www.xataka.com.mx/streaming/fun ... lataformas

It basically says funimation and crunchyroll will be one in mexico and it lists the following anime:
‘My Hero Academia’
‘Naruto Shippuden’
‘JUJUTSU KAISEN’
‘ODDTAXI’
‘Tokyo Revengers‘
‘Fruits Basket’

No dragon ball for latinos? oh noes, we are going to riot, I can sense it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:08 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:57 am And yet still no Kai? Man... That's one hell of a broadcasting agreement Funimation signed.
No one seems to know what's up with Kai's streaming rights. I don't think it has ever been streamed, other than on catchup TV-type services like what Nicktoons had that allowed it to be seen in certain parts of Canada. There was also a link to Kai on FunimationNow at one point buy it only offered trailers and clips.

If I had to guess I would say since streaming was relatively new when Kai was being released TOEI didn't give international rights holders the option to stream it, fearing a surge in piracy. Fast forward a few years to when Super was airing it managed to find its way to services like Crunchyroll, Daisuki and AnimeLab, so TOEI softened their stance, although it took well over a year for this to happen and for TOEI to have faith in streaming being a viable business model.

Why has TOEI not gone back and made Kai available for streamers? We may never know, but I get the feeling there is some apathy towards Kai, TFC was only created as an afterthought to satisfy international audiences, TOEI didn't take notice when Manga UK released BDs with the Yamamoto score, the Ocean dub after all these years is still waiting in the wings, etc.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:41 pm

Meanwhile these jerks (at Funimation) never responded to me about a) why I never got the link to start a free trial of Crunchyroll; and b) what is going to happen with my grandfathered annual $59.99 premium account that will undoubtedly be the reason why I'll end up not renewing my subscription with them.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:29 am

With the Funimation branding going away will Steve Simmons be used for Dragonball translations in the future?
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:31 am

Raki wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:29 am With the Funimation branding going away will Steve Simmons be used for Dragonball translations in the future?
I don't see why he wouldn't. People really need to stop acting like the Funimation name being retired means everyone at Funimation is getting laid off. The over reaction in this thread is real.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:50 pm

Raki wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:29 am With the Funimation branding going away will Steve Simmons be used for Dragonball translations in the future?
I think it would be interesting and refreshing to get somebody new in there doing the translations. But unfortunately I don't see that happening, certainly not with the older material.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:09 am

Hopefully what this means is they're making sure the Dragon Box masters of Z are properly prepared before throwing them online with the sub version, just like it was on FuniNow.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:54 pm

Does Crunchyroll have better compression than FUNimation when it comes to streaming?

Lorium_O

Post by Lorium_O » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:34 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:54 pm Does Crunchyroll have better compression than FUNimation when it comes to streaming?
Not sure, but definitely has a better reputation when it comes to their service. It doesn't buffer as much.

The problem with Crunchyroll is that you can't screenshot stuff unless you turn off Hardware acceleration for your browser. After that, there will be a weird square on the middle of the video that only you can see. Screenshots will get rid of the square, but it gets annoying when you're just trying to watch.

Honestly I'd give it to FUNI for not having that screenshot problem with their streaming service.

Still, they're both really bad. Why can't they make a proper video player? :(
-hello there

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:33 pm

Can you select the Faulconer score for Z on Crunchyroll or is the only Dub option w/ the original score?
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

Lorium_O

Post by Lorium_O » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:08 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:33 pm Can you select the Faulconer score for Z on Crunchyroll or is the only Dub option w/ the original score?
There is only one choice for a dub on Crunchyroll (except for different languages), if the dub it gives you contains the kikuchi score instead of the faulconer one (or vice versa), that's the only english dub you can stream there. It's not like they care about what they do to any kind of anime anyway :problem: .
-hello there

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:44 am

I dunno why they are only streaming the dub for DBZ. I get it has precedence due to nostalgia but thry should know the Japanese version has a fanbase among English-speakers.

The very least they could've used the masters from the 30th anniversary blu-ray.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:32 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:44 am The very least they could've used the masters from the 30th anniversary blu-ray.
I'd be happier with how it was on FuniNow; that does mean the English dub uses the shitty cropped version, but the Japanese version uses the Dragon Box masters.

... But they missed the point here, because the Japanese subbed version isn't on CR at all! :evil:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:42 am

Are all the Funimation properties migrated to Crunchyroll dub only or just the Dragon Ball series?