WIth the success of the Sonic movie, is it time for Hollywood to revisit Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: WIth the success of the Sonic movie, is it time for Hollywood to revisit Dragon Ball?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:02 pm

It's not just Sonic, though definitely the faithfulness of the designs and the use of energy auras and power-ups is something to note.

There are more live-action anime adaptations now than in 2009.
- There have been adaptations of Cowboy Bebop, Battle Angel Alita, Gintama, xxxHolic, and a lot more on this link: https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?ke ... e-of-anime
- Netflix is adapting One Piece, definitely an acid test
- The Russo Brothers (Avengers: Endgame) are working on adapting Gatchaman, another acid test there.
- My Hero Academia is going to be adapted by Shinsuke Sato, who adapted the action animes Inuyashiki and Bleach,

The attempt is not impossible, it'd just need to get a lot of things right. And maybe not be subject to too much studio interference.

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:43 pm If someone picks this up who could do it justice, even if the aesthetic of its distinctive art style doesn't translate to a live action format then i'm sure it could turn out good. Compromises would certainly have to be made though that said in the right hands with people who care about the source material it COULD be done even if i'm personally not chomping at the bit for a LA Dragon Ball movie on the big screen. As to DB Evolution, yeah though that was more because the people behind it didn't really try to adapt the series so much as make a generic mid 2000's action movie that just happened to use the franchise name and character names but otherwise not really capturing the essence of the series at all.

Something along the lines of the two Attack on Titan films, or the 2010 Space Battleship Yamato movie. Those worked well as live action adaptations of anime so in the right hands Dragon Ball could be done to the level of those at least even if it can't carry over the same look and feeling as the manga/anime.
If I could like this post, I would.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Re: WIth the success of the Sonic movie, is it time for Hollywood to revisit Dragon Ball?

Post by fleahop » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:33 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:49 pm
fleahop wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:33 pm Please no.

The genre doesn't adapt to film very well and even when it does, the Western world isn't ready for it/doesn't care to see it.
The genre being martial arts films. Okay
The guys that worked on Shang-Chi may be able to pull it off if they decided it was worth the money/time.
MCU fans watch other movies 2022 challenge
You're very funny.

The genre is wuxia...which Shang-Chi was heavily inspired by and even performed well.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:45 pm

fleahop wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:33 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:49 pm
fleahop wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:33 pm Please no.

The genre doesn't adapt to film very well and even when it does, the Western world isn't ready for it/doesn't care to see it.
The genre being martial arts films. Okay
The guys that worked on Shang-Chi may be able to pull it off if they decided it was worth the money/time.
MCU fans watch other movies 2022 challenge
You're very funny.

The genre is wuxia...which Shang-Chi was heavily inspired by and even performed well.
Wuxia=martial arts films

A genre of film doesn't adapt into film well? Make it make sense.

Again I'm begging MCU fans to watch other movies

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:24 pm

dude, does literally everyone of your post needs to be some passive aggressive, Twitter type, own ? that guy didn't even say anything about marvel movies, he brought up One that was recent and did well, tone it down.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:46 pm

This thread is specifically about a hypothetical Hollywood adaptation of Dragon Ball, so bringing up Shang-Chi makes sense, given that it’s the most recent example of a relatively successful Hollywood film with wuxia elements.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:06 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:46 pm This thread is specifically about a hypothetical Hollywood adaptation of Dragon Ball, so bringing up Shang-Chi makes sense, given that it’s the most recent example of a relatively successful Hollywood film with wuxia elements.
My problem isn't bringing up that Shang-Chi exist my problem is the thesis that Dragon Ball can't work because "that genre doesn't translate into film well" even though that genre has been around forever and 70s martial arts film were the main inspiration for Dragon Ball. But no only maybe the Shang Chi people could make this seemingly impossible task of bringing a 80s/90s comic book/cartoon based mostly on Jackie Chun films from the 70s to live action!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:06 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:46 pm This thread is specifically about a hypothetical Hollywood adaptation of Dragon Ball, so bringing up Shang-Chi makes sense, given that it’s the most recent example of a relatively successful Hollywood film with wuxia elements.
My problem isn't bringing up that Shang-Chi exist my problem is the thesis that Dragon Ball can't work because "that genre doesn't translate into film well" even though that genre has been around forever and 70s martial arts film were the main inspiration for Dragon Ball. But no only maybe the Shang Chi people could make this seemingly impossible task of bringing a 80s/90s comic book/cartoon based mostly on Jackie Chun films from the 70s to live action!
Jackie Chun made films? Something tells me they're not appropriate for children...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:24 pm

I mean, there were also Dragon Ball live action films adaptations (The Magic Begins.etc) pre dating Evolution going back to the late '80s/early '90s out of Asia and granted those were low budget affairs with choreography and effects work that was comparable to the old school Shaw Brothers films they still more or less were able to do it. Still, it would be cool to see a big budget studio attempt an LA Dragon Ball adaptation and it turns out to be decent or really good. Of course done by people who know what they're doing and have a good enough knowledge of the franchise to adapt the world as best as they can even if it's not possible to fully capture the unique art style of the original manga and anime.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:15 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:24 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:06 pm
Jackie Chun made films? Something tells me they're not appropriate for children...
I meant Jackie Chan but I deserved that :lol: :lol: :lol:

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:49 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:45 pm ...Again I'm begging MCU fans to watch other movies
The absolute disrespect. You have no clue what I've (or others here) watched or what I'm a fan of. This is a Dragon Ball forum ffs, let's not be elitist.

Your other points also don't fly as you selectively read (didn't read) what I wrote and seemed to have a knee-jerk chambered reaction.

I don't really want Hollywood to try to make a Dragon Ball film because they do not know how to approach it in my opinion. Additionally, even if they made the film the way I'd enjoy it, I imagine it'd be a commercial failure and also potentially hurt the brand in the West. I see no wins here.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:16 am

Seeing that DBE was a critical and box office failure, they probably choose to never make one never again. Just because Fox may have distribution rights, but they probably don't have the movie making rights. Those two are two totally different things.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:13 am

Can Dragon Ball work in live action? Sure. It's possible with the right cast and crew.

Do I personally have any desire to see Dragon Ball in live action? No. Live action Dragon Ball isn't something I need in my life. Even when these live action adaptations aren't terrible, they still just make me want to go back to the original; and I think it's because seeing these characters in live action creates an uncanny valley effect for me that I can never fully get past. It's the same effect I get when I see artists who create "realistic" depictions of cartoon characters: Even when the result isn't overtly weird looking, there's still a minor uncanny valley effect that makes me want to go back to how I know they're "supposed" to look.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:37 am

I also don't see why Dragon Ball can't work in live action. All it needs is a creative team that understands the series, is passionate about it and is making it for the fans first and foremost.

I understand Shinsuke Sato is directing the upcoming My Hero Academia movie. Unless I'm mistaken wasn't his Bleach movie received rather well? Perhaps if My Hero gets a similar response a studio like Legendary Pictures could have some faith in signing him up for such a project?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:59 am

fleahop wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:33 pmThe genre doesn't adapt to film very well and even when it does, the Western world isn't ready for it/doesn't care to see it.
Literally everything about this sentence is factually, objectively wrong. In like, a dozen different ways.

The genre in this case being Wuxia as you said, has been successfully adapted well to film for literally decades longer than anyone on this forum has been alive. Be it in Asian territories like with the overwhelming bulk of the genre, or internationally with successful efforts like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, and so on... Wuxia as a genre has literally NOTHING left to prove to anyone insofar as its live action film viability goes. Its been a wildly successful live action film genre for literally as long as film has existed as a medium, going back to the silent era.

Saying that Wuxia does not adapt well to live action film is literally no different at all, whatsoever from saying that horror or sci fi or dramatic-thrillers don't adapt well to film. Its ludicrous, asinine, and ignorant on its face. There literally exist more live action Wuxia films (even when just limiting it to purely the successful ones) than there are in some cases the sum total of movies that some folks have seen in their whole lifetime. This is in no way whatsoever an exaggeration: its one of the oldest and most prolific genres of fantasy fiction in existence, certainly a damn sight older and more prolific than many Western genres of fiction. I wasn't able to fill up more than 4 solid pages of forum posts on just an incredibly BASIC PRIMER of the genre's rudimentary history for nothing.

Secondly, the idea that when Wuxia does adapt well to film in general (as if that's some rare, infrequent occurrence, which it isn't), that the Western world isn't ready for it or doesn't care to see it... this is again, ludicrous and easily dubunked by basic film history, even in the recent past.

Setting aside hit international efforts like the above mentioned films (which indeed were all Hong Kong produced Wuxia live action films that there wildly successful in the Western world, including among mainstream audiences who turned out to see them even subtitled: there are also *plenty* of Western produced films that were either Wuxia influenced or just straight on Wuxia films that were wildly successful either straight out the gate, or later on in home video markets.

Big Trouble in Little China IS a Western-produced love letter to Wuxia, and while it was a box office failure in theaters, its more than made up for it on home media and is today rightly and widely celebrated in the mainstream as an 80s classic, beloved by pretty much everyone. Mortal Kombat is a heavily Wuxia-influenced hit video game franchise that had at least one live action Hollywood adaptation (that all things considered was fairly, relatively faithful to the source material) that was a mainstream box office success.

And The Matrix of course is so heavily Wuxia-influenced that the Wachowskis themselves could not stop name dropping the genre every chance they could during the white hot peak of the original film's mainstream success and turned the term Wuxia itself (for a time anyway) into a household word: and it also further opened the door for both other Wuxia-influenced mainstream Hollywood films and for mainstream Western acceptance of actual Chinese Wuxia films in the mainstream market. Even a recent Wuxia-derived superhero film like Shang Chi does not exist in a vacuum and literally would not have been made (at least certainly not made in the manner that it was) without this basic history behind it.

These are just a few, exceedingly obvious examples that anyone can name just off the cuff.

The reverberations of Wuxia's impact on mainstream Hollywood filmmaking can still be heavily, heavily felt (even on superhero films outside of Shang Chi) even today, and almost every major fantasy/nerd film that most folks here enjoy have benefitted and been influenced in some way (big or small) from the international success of Wuxia as a live action genre. Its impact goes to the very core of how so many live action films craft and execute fight scenes and action setpieces across a vast array of different sci fi and fantasy genres. Wuxia is an absolute a cornerstone of film history even on just a purely technical level.

Even something as ludicrous, random, and seemingly unrelated to anything in the genre as a movie like Freddy vs Jason of all things, had a former Wuxia filmmaker direct it and even execute many of its fight scenes between the two titular characters using a myriad of filmmaking techniques signature to and pioneered originally by Wuxia live action films. I only bring up an example that seemingly arbitrary and random to better illustrate just how far reaching and deep the influence of this genre on live action filmmaking actually goes: that it even deeply impacts many kinds of films you'd in NO way expect it to on the surface.

People more broadly-speaking aren't in any way new to or unfamiliar with either general, normal kung fu films in live action, nor the supernatural, fantastical, Wuxia variety of them. The people who continually time and time again seem to be the most ignorant, myoptic, and walled off from this incredibly basic level of mainstream film history (and who themselves tend to have an incredibly limited and insular definition of what the "mainstream" even is or encompasses) tends to be so-called "nerd" communities like this one made up of people who largely restrict themselves to just one *incredibly* narrow avenue of movies and TV shows. It's not just ignorance, its self-imposed, willful ignorance.

It isn't in any way "elitism" to ask that people who claim to be enthusiastic about film as a medium maybe take some time to expose themselves to and learn more about more films that are outside of their normal tastes, preferences, and general sphere of focus: and also to recognize and understand that one's personal level of knowledge and awareness about film (or lack thereof in this case) does not in any way reflect or have any bearing on what the wider, public level of knowledge and awareness is. Something being unfamiliar and niche-seeming to YOU PERSONALLY does NOT mean it is in actuality unfamiliar or niche to a broader slice of the public at large (and vice versa of course). Your personal sphere of knowledge does not dictate the broader cultural awareness, and acting otherwise is pure egocentrism.

And as far as Dragon Ball goes in all this: lets even set aside the ultra low-budget efforts of the past like The Magic Begins (which was so low-rent by the standards of Asian films at ANY given point in time that it is in NO way reflective of what larger budget, major Hong Kong studio efforts at that time were capable of).

Over a span of, at a VERY conservative estimate, 50-ish years (both predating and during Dragon Ball's original Japanese run), Hong Kong alone had produced literally COUNTLESS live action Wuxia films (numbering well into the hundreds, if not thousands) that could easily be considered relatively high end live action Dragon Ball adaptations in all but name, utilizing just about every single one of its zillions of tropes to the letter (which is a testament to just how derivative of the genre DB itself actually is).

Hell, to bring The Magic Begins back into this: anyone here who has the Dragon Ball Magic Begins DVD (the one with all the absurd "Special Edition" style CGI alterations added), do me a favor and go ahead and pop that baby into your DVD or Blu Ray player for a second. Right now even. Go ahead and do it, I'll wait.

Popped the DVD in? Cool. Now before the DVD's main menu pops up, you'll note that you're first being treated to a whole series of live action film trailers. You'll also note that just about ALL of these films are 1) strikingly identical to Dragon Ball in nearly every aspect of their content (warriors garbed in kung fu dogi flying around Chinese landscapes and cities, firing chi blasts to and fro, powering up with large auras, moving at supersonic speeds, and in one specific case, even Sun Wukong flying around on his magic cloud and wielding his extendo staff fighting off an invading army of space aliens and cyborgs: in live action) and 2) in most cases fairly high quality (at least for their time), much higher quality than The Magic Begins itself certainly.

Want to know why that is? Because you're looking at trailers for a whole assortment of other Chinese live action Wuxia films. (Off the top of my head from memory, I think some of those trailers include Wind and Cloud, the 2004 Buddha's Palm TV minieries, A Chinese Tall Story, and Dragon Tiger Gate, among others: none of them at all obscure or low-profile within Asian/international markets, and hell many of these I've even used for screenshots and gifs in the old Wuxia thread back in the day.) Many of which are of course FAR higher budgeted and higher quality than The Magic Begins. That are right there on the DVD for a live action adaptation of Dragon Ball, a Wuxia-derived manga/anime. Gosh, what were the odds of that? :think: :think: :think:

Note also that many of the people who frequent this forum have had this DVD (and apparently have watched it) since its release more than 15 years ago (during the infancy of this forum). They thus have ostensibly seen these trailers (since they automatically play before you can access the menu for the movie itself) at any point during aaaaaaall those many years.

Note also that EVEN THEN DESPITE THIS, so many people on this very forum (including those who own and have seen this DVD: which I'm sad to say also includes a lot of notable names from around here who had also been incomprehensibly, inexcusably ignorant about a lot of this for way, way too long) have STILL been utterly puzzled and bewildered all this time at the notion that there might exist much of anything in the live action realm that is in any which way similar to Dragon Ball and consider the idea of DB being done well in live action to be some kind of pipe dream, and are still continually mystified and shocked when some nobody schmuck like me waltzes along and tells them that its already been done in live action countless dozens of hundreds of times.

Its almost like the problem in this specific case is less to do with the film industry (not that it isn't rife with plenty of other problems in general of course mind you) and more with the fact that fan communities like this one tend to be myopic and dense as all hell with frighteningly little historic or intellectual curiosity about the very mediums and works that they claim to be so obsessively enthusiastic about in the first place.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:09 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:29 pm I feel like anyone who thinks that DB CAN'T work in live action lacks imagination. I agree that DB doesn't NEED to be in live action, though. But if it got another chance? I'd give it a look, especially if they did something like Kung Fu Hustle or the incredibly underrated DB Runaways fan series.

Edit: not to say that Kung Fu Hustle or Runaways are in any way similar: KFH would be if they want to do something a little closer to the fun, goofy tone of the original while Runaways shows that a more grounded reimagining could also work well.
The problem with that is that it wouldn't be Dragon Ball--it'd be Journey to the west. Which we already have countless adaptations are. And I certainly don't need a "grounded interpretation of DB" when that misses the entire point of what makes DB so enjoyable. It's not a lack of imagination--it's the fact that it doesn't work.

And before someone goes "but what Ruroni Kenshin?" Ruroni Kenshin works because its already based on the cinematography of old-school samurai films. Same as with something like Crows Zero that's basically a heightened version of Japanese yakuza flicks. The problem with an American adaptation is that it would ultimately have to appeal to an audience that doesn't know/care about Dragonball, and would mean sanding off the things we like about the franchise in order to make it more accessible to the general public.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:11 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:37 am I also don't see why Dragon Ball can't work in live action. All it needs is a creative team that understands the series, is passionate about it and is making it for the fans first and foremost.

I understand Shinsuke Sato is directing the upcoming My Hero Academia movie. Unless I'm mistaken wasn't his Bleach movie received rather well? Perhaps if My Hero gets a similar response a studio like Legendary Pictures could have some faith in signing him up for such a project?
Yeah, the Bleach film was pretty good! I loved the fights.

https://youtu.be/vdcQpBQVAnE

https://youtu.be/xHxA0xuedaw

https://youtu.be/nwPSoP7qEi4
She/Her
bisexual milf

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:13 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:11 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:37 am I also don't see why Dragon Ball can't work in live action. All it needs is a creative team that understands the series, is passionate about it and is making it for the fans first and foremost.

I'd argue that that's what I'm talking about why some adaptation work better than others. Because those fights are very much grounded in the samurai film. So it feels more "real" rather than relying heavily on CG.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:22 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:13 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:11 pm

I'd argue that that's what I'm talking about why some adaptation work better than others. Because those fights are very much grounded in the samurai film. So it feels more "real" rather than relying heavily on CG.
That's why I wouldn't only use CG for a Dragon Ball work. I think there are ways of making film beyond just CG and that can and should be explored more by big budget films. Even then, I'd also use the CG less realistically. So often the Hollywood blockbuster goes for photo realism as their only tool when they should be far more open to a variety of styles of both special effects and editing.

When One-Punch Man made the leap from comic to cartoon Series Director Natsume Shingo knew that making ultra-define still drawings was not the way to go, he leaned into the specialties of the medium. To make a good Dragon Ball film in live action one needs to do the same. That means paying for a long filming schedule so that the martial arts can be properly performed.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:36 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:09 pmThe problem with that is that it wouldn't be Dragon Ball--it'd be Journey to the west. Which we already have countless adaptations are.
The examples you're saying this in response to are Kung Fu Hustle and a fa-made DB web series. Just because Stephen Chow also directed a Journey to the West adaptation (or several), doesn't mean that every over the top stylized wuxia/martial arts film that he directs (like Kung Fu Hustle) or that others direct are also in turn some sort of Journey to the West adaptation. If anything, Kung Fu Hustle takes far, FAR more from Buddha's Palm (to the point of including the titular martial arts technique as a key plot point) than it does Journey to the West.

Journey to the West is indeed a cornerstone example of the genre: but all the same it does not encompass the whole entirety of the genre, nor does the whole entirety of Wuxia as a genre encompass Journey to the West. Just because someone makes an over the top stylized Wuxia film does not mean they are making an adaptation of Journey to the West.

kemuri07 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:09 pm And I certainly don't need a "grounded interpretation of DB" when that misses the entire point of what makes DB so enjoyable.
Pretty sure that no one (not in any significant numbers at least) was asking for that. Especially when there's a plentiful array of examples of over the top, non-grounded Wuxia films that are very close to DB (almost to the point of being nearly identical to it) that work just fine.

kemuri07 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:09 pmIt's not a lack of imagination--it's the fact that it doesn't work.
An entire genre made up of countless, countless films dating back almost a century begs to differ with this. A live action adaptation of DB has been proven zillions and zillions of times over to be perfectly do-able: its just not at all necessary.

kemuri07 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:09 pmAnd before someone goes "but what Ruroni Kenshin?" Ruroni Kenshin works because its already based on the cinematography of old-school samurai films. Same as with something like Crows Zero that's basically a heightened version of Japanese yakuza flicks.
While this is completely accurate, this also presupposes that Dragon Ball's genre itself does not also have a whole live action film language from which it too has pulled a lot from, when in reality it certainly does. Yes, Chanbara/Samurai films and Yakuza films are their own genre institutions that have racked up their own filmic language over the years that their manga and anime contemporaries have borrowed and pulled from... but so too does Dragon Ball with Wuxia.

Obviously you could make a well done, over the top absurdly stylized DB film and make it work more than fine: its BEEN DONE before countless times across countless wuxia films... just not while using the Dragon Ball IP (the examples that HAVE used the DB IP have to date been low-rent, low-budget, low-effort cheapies).

I agree that its completely superfluous and unneeded for there to be a well made live action Wuxia film that uses DB's branding, given how stacked the genre already is with such kinds of similar films, and I'm certainly not in any way begging for there to be one personally: but that isn't at all the same argument as whether or not it can even be done at all, when plain as day reality shows that it can be done and has been done countless times.

Whether or not a well done live action DB movie SHOULD be made is a debatable point we can all argue back and forth on freely. Whether or not it CAN be made is an already long-since answered question: one that the only people who seem to not be up to date on is DB's own Western fanbase, who need to continually ignore countless dozens upon dozens of already-existing films dating back numerous decades in order to remain so stubbornly in the dark about this.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:46 pm

An entire genre made up of countless, countless films dating back almost a century begs to differ with this. A live action adaptation of DB has been proven zillions and zillions of times over to be perfectly do-able: its just not at all necessary.
I mean, that's kind of the point. There's nothing particularly interesting or necessary about a live action DB. It'd just be redundant as all hell. Same as one that's animated.

I am not saying that an anime adaptation in general cannot work, since I agree that some works work better than others. I am saying that in regards to Dragon Ball that it is a moot point. Because if you do a live-action adaptation that's faithful to--at least--Dragon Ball--then it's just another adaptation of Journey to the west(and I'm not specifically saying that just because Stephen Chow directed an adaptation of it himself). If you do one that tries to capture the ki blasts/anime extravagance of the show, then I think you run into the problems faced by a ton of anime adaptations. And if you do one that's so far removed from the source material to make it work in live-action--then its not Dragon Ball.

My position is that sometimes, animation is better and we don't need it to be in live-action.