What will you call future Texas dubs?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

What will you call future Texas dubs?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:38 am

Now that the Funimation brand name is dead what does everyone plan to refer to English dubs produced by the company now under a different name?

Will you call anything from Super Hero onwards "the Funimation dub" out of tradition or "the Crunchyroll dub"?

I have to say it's going to be weird going forward because we're all used to referring to the Funimation dub of whatever.

I know with Ocean Kai still unreleased a lot of us will still call anything new dubbed "the English dub" for simplicity, but remember Bang Zoom Super happened, so it's not out of the question we will see future alternate English dubs. Fun (no pun intended) fact but if you count Kai The Final Chapters as a separate series it's the only Dragon Ball show without one, though it could still happen if Ocean's dub of 1.0 ever gets released.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: What will you call future Texas dubs?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:53 am

I'll probably call it by whatever their official company name will be.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:19 am

The Super Heroes English dub.

Because that's literally the only confirmed to be coming out project for them to dub.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:42 am

Is a distinction even necessary when there's only one English dub?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:08 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:42 am Is a distinction even necessary when there's only one English dub?
Perhaps not, but as I said that's assuming we will only have Texas dubs henceforth. Conversely, if history is anything to go by future Dragon Ball series may have a second English dub because no one thought the Bang Zoom dub would happen.

Even if Super Hero or a continuation of Super doesn't whose to say any series that follow them (like say if we get "Dragon Ball Ultra" or whatever anytime in the next few years as a new post-EoZ sequel) will only be dubbed in Texas?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Asin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Asin » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:01 pm

Knowing me, I'll probably still call it the Funimation dub or Funi dub for short. It's what I'm used to, and also "Crunchyroll dub" doesn't feel right to me, at least at this point in time.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:31 pm

I'll probably call them "Crunchyroll dubs." It'll be awkward for a short while, but then again, it was awkward for a short while to call this site "Kanzenshuu" as opposed to "Daizenshuu EX." The awkwardness quickly faded, though.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:29 am

I'll stick with calling it the Funimation dub for as long as the cast remains the same. I'm sure the likes of Sean Schemmel and Chris Sabat will forever be associated with that name, as they have been for 23 years at this point.

Anything going forward will basically be a continuation of Super's dub, which was a continuation of Kai's dub, which in turn carried over most of the cast and many names/terms from the DB/Z dubs. With all that history suddenly calling it the Crunchyroll dub just wouldn't feel right to me.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:30 am

Wait a minute, the whole Funimation brand is being phased out? I thought only their streaming services were getting cut.

I'll call it funimation for as long as I can tell.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:56 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:30 am Wait a minute, the whole Funimation brand is being phased out?
Yup, the whole brand is gone. They even re-named the existing FUNimation recording studios to Crunchyroll studios (and built a brand new studio in addition to the existing one, also called Crunchyroll studios).

That said, it doesn't mean all Crunchyroll dubs will be handled by a Texas-based cast. As its been told to me, the catalogue of anime they now own is simply too enormous for them to do it all themselves. So, dub recording duties are being split between Crunchyroll's own recording studios as well as other studios such as Sound Cadence and Bang-Zoom.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:18 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:29 amAnything going forward will basically be a continuation of Super's dub, which was a continuation of Kai's dub, which in turn carried over most of the cast and many names/terms from the DB/Z dubs. With all that history suddenly calling it the Crunchyroll dub just wouldn't feel right to me.
That's a good point, you could also say the first few episodes of Dragon Ball went through several reboots with the Harmony Gold dub being replaced by the BLT dub (which was produced by Funimation but was nonetheless superseded), which was then replaced by the in-house version as the dubs presented on all the season sets have been the definitive versions as far as license holders have been concerned for the last 13+ years.
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:56 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:30 am Wait a minute, the whole Funimation brand is being phased out?
That said, it doesn't mean all Crunchyroll dubs will be handled by a Texas-based cast. As its been told to me, the catalogue of anime they now own is simply too enormous for them to do it all themselves. So, dub recording duties are being split between Crunchyroll's own recording studios as well as other studios such as Sound Cadence and Bang-Zoom.
That's great news, I know we've had the odd LA actor in recent Funimation dubs like James Marsters but I'd love to see a greater mix of LA and Texas cast members for future Dragon Ball productions. Though I'd prefer a mix of Vancouver and Texas, but hey Brian Drummond in Super happened so no reason something similar couldn't happen again, and seemingly Ocean are doing Dragon Quest Dai meaning they're getting some anime work again. We may even get actors from all three areas at some point. Either way more diversity is always a plus.

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:26 pm

Funimation Cast, it feels more right to me, it would be weird calling them differently

By any chance, does anyone knows if Crunchyroll is still gonna be recording their dubs in their In-house Texas studio? or they are gonna be outsourcing to Los Angeles

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:24 pm

The Crunchi Dub!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler