Does the lack of diversity in sub and dub bother you?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Does the lack of diversity in sub and dub bother you?

Post by Peach » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:50 am

Sean Schemmel voicing Goku, King Kai, and Nail

Chris Sabat as Vegeta, Piccolo, Yamcha, Kami, Shenron, King Piccolo, Popo, and more

Chuck Huber as Android 17, Pilaf, and Garlic Jr

Meredith McCoy as Android 18 and Launch

Same dude voicing Imperfect Cell, Pui Pui, and

In the sub -

Masako Nozawa plays literally every male in the Son family. Goku, Gohan, Goten, Bardock.

Ryūsei Nakao as Frieza, Cooler, and Frost.

It's extremely jarring in scenes where Gohan and Goku or Gohan and Goten talk to each other. Or when Frost and Frieza talk to each other.

Doesn't hearing the same voice actors bother you? When these actors step down, do you want more diversity with the characters/voices?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does the lack of diversity in sub and dub bother you?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:06 am

Not really no. It got a bit ridiculous when Sabat ended up voicing 3 of the 5 Ginyu Force members plus Zarbon but I'm not terribly bothered by that. I don't see why he needs to voice Yamcha, Vegeta, and Piccolo but ironically his worst performance of those 3 is the one he'd never give up so it's a wash.

I took more umbrage with Schemmel's King Kai being the most awful thing to listen to than the fact that Goku and King Kai share a voice actor.

A lot of your other examples don't even interact so who cares? Remember when Pilaf and Garlic jr talked to each other? Me neither

Far as the Japanese cast I like Ryusei voicing Freeza and Cooler and those two never interact on screen together so who cares they share an actor? And Frost and Freeza end up having limited interaction and Frost is framed as AU Freeza so made sense to have the same guy voicing them.

Nozawa voicing the male Son line plus Tullece is overblown. I wish Gohan had gotten a male actor when he turned 16 but that's the only issue I have.

I do think Bardock would have better suited voiced by Shigeru Chiba (looks like Goku, sound like Raditz) but I suppose I understand that since Bardock was only intended for a one time tv special the higher ups wanted the father of Goku to sound like Goku for the kids or something

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:35 am

No, it does not. It gives the work a very 'small theater troupe' vibe, which is quaint.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:00 am

the only time where it gets a little too much for me was in the original dragon ball, where daisuke gori voiced sooo many different background and supporting characters. i don't really mind it, he was a great actor and i love his dragon ball performances, it just kind of shocked me when i watched the original dragon ball.

dub eh, it's a different story, but that's kind of a issue with "modern" dubbing as a whole is that there's not a whole lot of different actors, and i think most of those actors are bad so...
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:03 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:35 am No, it does not. It gives the work a very 'small theater troupe' vibe, which is quaint.
Like the Muppets?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:09 am

Peach wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:03 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:35 am No, it does not. It gives the work a very 'small theater troupe' vibe, which is quaint.
Like the Muppets?
Yeah! In high school we had a four or five person crew do all of Romeo and Juliet by running back and forth on stage, switching between costumes and such. It was really interesting and impressive. It's why I was never bothered by Gouri Daisuke voicing thirty different characters over the years.

I probably wouldn't care about Sabat voicing a million characters if he just used his one good voice instead of those shitty voice changes he does. Works for Dave Petite.
She/Her
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:41 am

This is obviously minutia but I always figured Funi deliberately gave Garlic and Pilaf the same voice.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:01 pm

It doesn't bother me no, because usually the voices in both versions are distinct enough that I don't remember it's the same voice actor talking to him/herself unless I stop and think about it (which I rarely do because I watch Dragon Ball for pleasure).

Masako Nozawa playing all of the Son family is, in a way the point of the Japanese version because she is the voice of Dragon Ball, and the one that's been consistent throughout everything since 1986. When Goku is absent for several episodes (Garlic Junior or Saiyaman arcs for example), Nozawa's voice is present through Gohan, Goku Jr in the GT special, or in the case of the first Z special Bardock.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:06 pm

The lack of diversity with the dub is really more of a holdover from an older era than anything else. Back when FUNimation started dubbing in Texas, pretty much nobody in the area had any experience with dubbing. Chris Sabat said that in the early days, when they called local talent agents to ask for voice actors with dubbing experience, the agents didn't even know what he was talking about. Sabat was also the only salaried employee at FUNimation at the time, hence the reason they gave him so many roles.

Today, it's a very different story. Dallas ended up becoming the anime dubbing capital of the US pretty much because of FUNimation. Sabat said that it has gotten to the point where their dubbing roster is so enormous that they can now get an individual actor for each individual part without any difficulty now. He gave up a fair amount of his roles for Kai, but the reason he still has a fair amount is simply because a lot of dub fans grew up with those voices and are fond of them.

Also...I've seen a fair amount of "Chris Sabat voices everyone"-chatter over the years, and everybody can absolutely have their own opinion, but whenever I hear that, I'm compelled to admit something to myself: I legitimately couldn't tell when I was a kid. Perhaps it'd be different if I was introduced to DBZ now, but when I was a kid? *shrug* Honestly couldn't tell.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:08 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:41 am This is obviously minutia but I always figured Funi deliberately gave Garlic and Pilaf the same voice.
For the Vancouver cast you had Don Brown voicing Pilaf for the BLT dub and Garlic jr for the Pioneer dub of Dead Zone so there’s certainly a precedent. Like Saffron Henderson voicing Goku as a child and Gohan and then Funimation having Stephanie Nadolny doing the same.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:38 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:06 pm The lack of diversity with the dub is really more of a holdover from an older era than anything else. Back when FUNimation started dubbing in Texas, pretty much nobody in the area had any experience with dubbing. Chris Sabat said that in the early days, when they called local talent agents to ask for voice actors with dubbing experience, the agents didn't even know what he was talking about. Sabat was also the only salaried employee at FUNimation at the time, hence the reason they gave him so many roles.

Today, it's a very different story. Dallas ended up becoming the anime dubbing capital of the US pretty much because of FUNimation. Sabat said that it has gotten to the point where their dubbing roster is so enormous that they can now get an individual actor for each individual part without any difficulty now. He gave up a fair amount of his roles for Kai, but the reason he still has a fair amount is simply because a lot of dub fans grew up with those voices and are fond of them.

Also...I've seen a fair amount of "Chris Sabat voices everyone"-chatter over the years, and everybody can absolutely have their own opinion, but whenever I hear that, I'm compelled to admit something to myself: I legitimately couldn't tell when I was a kid. Perhaps it'd be different if I was introduced to DBZ now, but when I was a kid? *shrug* Honestly couldn't tell.
Love to squeeze extra, health-destroying work for the same money out of my salaried employees. Love to steal wages and torture people.
She/Her
bisexual milf

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:44 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:06 pm Also...I've seen a fair amount of "Chris Sabat voices everyone"-chatter over the years, and everybody can absolutely have their own opinion, but whenever I hear that, I'm compelled to admit something to myself: I legitimately couldn't tell when I was a kid. Perhaps it'd be different if I was introduced to DBZ now, but when I was a kid? *shrug* Honestly couldn't tell.
I was honestly surprised when I learned Sabat voiced multiple characters, too; I thought he only did Vegeta.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:20 pm

If the voice fits, there is no problem. It is and should always be about the voice, not the person.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:48 pm

Considering how many characters Chris Sabat voiced in Z, it was actually surprising how different some of them actually sounded. His Vegeta, Yamcha, Recoome, Jeice, and Korin were all pretty distinct from one another.

In the early days his Vegeta and Piccolo sounded pretty different too. He eventually stopped impersonating Brian Drummond and deepened his Vegeta voice, which made for a much better performance but sounds more similar to his Piccolo.

I will say his current Vegeta sounds very similar to his Shenron, Porunga, and Omega, especially when he's in Ape form. This can be distracting at times, but I'm pretty used to it by now.

The Ocean dub equivalent was Terry Klassen, who sounded pretty much exactly the same as Krillin, Roshi, Guldo, West Kai, and Babidi.

The Japanese version is justified in having Goku, Gohan, and Goten be voiced by Nozawa, although Bardock and Turles probably should've had different voices.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:00 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:48 pm The Japanese version is justified in having Goku, Gohan, and Goten be voiced by Nozawa, although Bardock and Turles probably should've had different voices.
I've always thought it would be interesting if either Bardock or Turles was voiced by Shigeru Chiba (the Japanese voice of Radditz), so that the casting would have been more diversified while at the same time serving as a link to the rest of Goku's family.

I guess if I was forced to pick between those two characters which would be voiced by Chiba, it would probably be Bardock. Turles is supposed to be a "dark mirror image" of Goku, so having him played by Goku's voice helps reinforce that. Heck, I wish Turles had been played by the respective voices for Goku in the dub, too.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:04 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:48 pm

The Japanese version is justified in having Goku, Gohan, and Goten be voiced by Nozawa, although Bardock and Turles probably should've had different voices.
Turles is who Goku could have been if he hadn't hit his head so it made sense for them to have the same voice.

I'm more surprised none of the English dubs ever bothered with that idea and always gave Turles a completely different actor.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:08 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:38 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:06 pm The lack of diversity with the dub is really more of a holdover from an older era than anything else. Back when FUNimation started dubbing in Texas, pretty much nobody in the area had any experience with dubbing. Chris Sabat said that in the early days, when they called local talent agents to ask for voice actors with dubbing experience, the agents didn't even know what he was talking about. Sabat was also the only salaried employee at FUNimation at the time, hence the reason they gave him so many roles.

Love to squeeze extra, health-destroying work for the same money out of my salaried employees. Love to steal wages and torture people.
As I understand it, things have gotten a tad better since then in terms of payment. But yeah, in the early days, FUNimation--by the admission of everyone involved--didn't pay much, even by dubbing standards. Chris Sabat said that he was paid a grand total of $20 to play Yamcha in Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle.

Still, even though they have improved since the old days, it's of great concern to the dubbing industry just how much anime will now be handled by the Crunchyroll/FUNimation merger. There has been a much louder call for unionized dubs lately. At first, Texas voice actors were really resistant to it, but they're slowly starting to come around. So I remain hopeful--more so than I used to be!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:57 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:08 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:38 pm

As I understand it, things have gotten a tad better since then in terms of payment. But yeah, in the early days, FUNimation--by the admission of everyone involved--didn't pay much, even by dubbing standards. Chris Sabat said that he was paid a grand total of $20 to play Yamcha in Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle.

Still, even though they have improved since the old days, it's of great concern to the dubbing industry just how much anime will now be handled by the Crunchyroll/FUNimation merger. There has been a much louder call for unionized dubs lately. At first, Texas voice actors were really resistant to it, but they're slowly starting to come around. So I remain hopeful--more so than I used to be!
Holy shit, that is some fucking bullshit. $20? How the fuck are you supposed to pay rent for $20?

Eat shit, Fukunaga.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:14 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:57 pmHoly shit, that is some fucking bullshit. $20? How the fuck are you supposed to pay rent for $20?

Eat shit, Fukunaga.
Pretty sure Sabat said he had some other jobs around that time in call centres and some commercial work too. I know when Sabat has said when he started working for Funimation he was paid a salary of $20,000. Though that still wasn't great. It wouldn't cover you for living in Ireland, I can only imagine how tough that wage would be in Texas. Luckily we can safely assume he's doing much better now, but those first few years must have been hard.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:38 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:00 am the only time where it gets a little too much for me was in the original dragon ball, where daisuke gori voiced sooo many different background and supporting characters. i don't really mind it, he was a great actor and i love his dragon ball performances, it just kind of shocked me when i watched the original dragon ball.
This, as well as Banjo Ginga getting cast as every other gruff sounding side character. He's a good actor, but he didn't need to voice EVERYONE.

Complaining about Nozawa's multiple roles is ridiculous though, that was deliberately done to make them sound similar. Complaining about that is just missing the point.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!