Any FUNi dubisms you still find yourself saying from time to time?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: Any FUNi dubisms you still find yourself saying from time to time?

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:36 pm

pixie_misa wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:09 pm
I'm sorry, I must've massively misread your tone earlier.

My apologies for that lashing out, it wasn't deserved.
Don't be sorry, you didn't misread anything. I've seen these kinds of comments from Adamant in the past, and you are right to check him on his tone.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:22 am

I still like calling the Dragon Team "Z-Fighters" & "World's Special Forces."

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:08 am

Saiyan. (Say-an.)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:50 am

I use "Bulma" and justify it by her shirt. I also went with "Kurilin" for some time to blend the pun and his dub name--I go with "Kuririn" now. My preferred consumption of the series is through the manga and the Japanese anime, so I'm fully done with dubisms anyway. But, I go go dubism whenever I actually talk to friends about the series because I know that's all they know, so if I would bust out a "Kiririn" or "Genki Dama," they'd have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm cool with knowing there's a pun even if it's not in-yoyr-face. I like "Kakarrot" over "Cacarrot," for example. That's why I'm okay with any spelling of Bulma or Kuririn's names--we know the pun; it doesn't have to so blatant.

"Nalt" really had me chuckling.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:29 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:06 pm So the fact that his romanized name, "Krillin," simply happens to work as a pun for "short warrior monk" ("krill" to indicate his short size and "lin" to indicate a Shaolin warrior monk) is nothing other than an amusing mistake.

But, hey, I'll take it. Not only does it inadvertently sound like a pun, but it's easier to say in casual conversation than "Kuririn." Easier in the same way that "don't" is easier than "do not," so it's not like it's massively easier...but for the lazy among us in casual conversations--like me--we'll take what we can get. :lol:
I've never thought of the "krill" part of the name being a pun before but it's an interesting interpretation, I wonder if that was intentional on the part of the localizers.

I've always been fond of the "lin" portion of the name and think it should be kept as it's a very succinct way of conveying the Shaolin reference. It also helps the name sound more natural in English, whether it be used in Krillin or Kurilin.

While I do lean towards more accurate names where possible I've never thought "Kuririn" as a spoken name was acceptable for the purpose of a dub. I'd rather relegate Kuririn to the Japanese subtitles only and I know that pisses off some but it's just my opinion. Hearing it spoken by an English speaker just sounds too overly affected to me. Also, to be honest it just doesn't roll off the tongue very well either.

If a dub wanted to adapt the name differently to preserve the pun and changed it to something like Kurilin, (or alternatively shortened the original to Kurin?) I wouldn't mind as much since they don't sound as awkward when spoken in English (imo).

As for other names, I still often still use Sey-en out of habit despite knowing it's Sai-en but I'd switch in a heartbeat if it became more accepted.

I also fall back on "energy" or "power" rather than Ki simply out of habit.

I use Shenron over Shenlong so people know what I'm talking about but I would honestly prefer the latter.

Blooma would be my preferred name for Bulma as it grew on me in recent years and it just makes a lot more sense in English, that said, it's not a realistic change either in terms of mainstream dubs so I'm sticking with Bulma for convenience alone.

When it comes to the whole Buruma gym shorts vs Bloomers debate, I still think that the Bloomer pun is preferable for an English dub at least because the alternative doesn't hold meaning in English. Buruma is fine for the subtitled Japanese version though.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:03 am

NitroEX wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:29 am
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:06 pm So the fact that his romanized name, "Krillin," simply happens to work as a pun for "short warrior monk" ("krill" to indicate his short size and "lin" to indicate a Shaolin warrior monk) is nothing other than an amusing mistake.[

But, hey, I'll take it. Not only does it inadvertently sound like a pun, but it's easier to say in casual conversation than "Kuririn." Easier in the same way that "don't" is easier than "do not," so it's not like it's massively easier...but for the lazy among us in casual conversations--like me--we'll take what we can get. :lol:
I've never thought of the "krill" part of the name being a pun before but it's an interesting interpretation, I wonder if that was intentional on the part of the localizers.
From a company that kept missing vegetable puns for the Saiyans and gave them random names in the Bardock special? Doubt.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:13 am

FoolsGil wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:22 am I still like calling the Dragon Team "Z-Fighters" & "World's Special Forces."
i think that's more of a Anime vs. Manga thing, then a specific dub-ism. a couple Z episodes and the bardock special, have Zetto Senshi (Tatta Hitori no Saishū Kessen ~Furīza ni Idonda Zetto SenshiKakarotto no Chichi~) in the title, which i think people here and Steve Simmons translate as Z-Warriors but as far as know for the term senshi, that's basically tomayto-tomahto. it's not like a Sailor Scout vs Sailor Soldier/Guardian thing.
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:13 am

Serious question: does it change things that a lot of these puns were in Japanese but based on English words? For example, it's one thing for me to write something in English and use a Japanese word as the basis of a name, but it's a lot weirder if I made puns from my own language. For example, let's sayn that in Japanese, "refrigerator" is "reizōko." If I named a character "Reizoko," it is a lot less weird than if I named that character "Refrigerator."

I can see why Funimation didn't really want to preserve pun names that were in their own language.

I do know that there were some puns bases on Japanese words (Gohan, Pilaf, etc.), but still.

Honestly, if I were Funimation and I did want to avoid puns like that, I'd just localize the names more directly (and incorrectly)--"Bejita," "Furiza," etc.

I honestly think that's why they went for some unconventional changes like "Frieza." Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:40 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:13 am."

I can see why Funimation didn't really want to preserve pun names that were in their own language.
Its far less Funimation didn't want to preserve english pun and actually they just didn't catch them. Kakarot sounds a lot closer to carrot than Kakarotto. I'd think if they wanted to avoid english puns they go with the latter.

I honestly think that's why they went for some unconventional changes like "Frieza." Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit.
I think they just thought it looked cooler (heh) and more alien. The pun is still preserved phonetically. Even for dub only fans they can gather Frieza is a pun on freeze especially when his family includes Cooler and King Cold.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:41 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:40 am

Its far less Funimation didn't want to preserve english pun and actually they just didn't catch them. Kakarot sounds a lot closer to carrot than Kakarotto. I'd think if they wanted to avoid english puns they go with the latter.

I think they just thought it looked cooler (heh) and more alien. The pun is still preserved phonetically. Even for dub only fans they can gather Frieza is a pun on freeze especially when his family includes Cooler and King Cold.
Doesn't look cooler, though. Also, the character's name isn't actually written out anywhere except title cards, captions, and... that one time at Gero's lab (but it was spelled differently anyway). Imagine we just went by the names as they appear in the series--we'd have a "Seru"!

I guess Funimation just went to the same school as won't l whoever thought of "Victor Fries."

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:45 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:41 am

Doesn't look cooler, though. Also, the character's name isn't actually written out anywhere except title cards, captions, and...
Not really relevant. Someone at Funimation, probably Barry, thought it looked better spelled Frieza. Its not like changing Freeza to Frieza was a mistake like Tullece to Turles. Obviously changing Freeza to Frieza when its pronounced the same way is silly but Funi gonna funi

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:58 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:45 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:41 am

Doesn't look cooler, though. Also, the character's name isn't actually written out anywhere except title cards, captions, and...
Not really relevant. Someone at Funimation, probably Barry, thought it looked better spelled Frieza. Its not like changing Freeza to Frieza was a mistake like Tullece to Turles. Obviously changing Freeza to Frieza when its pronounced the same way is silly but Funi gonna funi
Oh, I agree with you. But I always thought "Freeza" looked cooler than "Frieza." Also, funny enough, I didn't know it was supposed to be "Frieza" for years. I always thought that it had the "Freeza" spelling (for the dub) until I actually checked the title cards.

I guess it's a pretty inconsequential change because it doesn't really appear anywhere spelled out in-universe.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:03 pm

NitroEX wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:29 am I've always been fond of the "lin" portion of the name and think it should be kept as it's a very succinct way of conveying the Shaolin reference.
This supposed "Shaolin reference" is a complete myth and I have no idea where it came from, nor does it fit Toriyama's mention that he just gave the character a generic and halfassed name because he didn't think he'd be around for more than a few chapters.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:13 am Serious question: does it change things that a lot of these puns were in Japanese but based on English words? For example, it's one thing for me to write something in English and use a Japanese word as the basis of a name, but it's a lot weirder if I made puns from my own language. For example, let's sayn that in Japanese, "refrigerator" is "reizōko." If I named a character "Reizoko," it is a lot less weird than if I named that character "Refrigerator."
Aside from the Saiyan characters, the majority of Dragonball names are puns on the common Japanese names of these things. And even when it comes to the Saiyans, everyone in Japan knows what a "carrot" is, while very few native English speakers know what a "reizoko" is. It's more like you naming a character "Tsunami" instead of "Tidal Wave".
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:16 pm

I still say "Tien" as a shorthand for "Tenshinhan" (though I rather use the latter)
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:22 pm

I basically say

Sigh-yan

Tenshinhan

Chouzu

Celipa

Kienzan

Gero instead of Jero

And probably some others.

However I do say son GOku (not sure if it’s meant to be goKU?), if it ever gets brought up in conversation irl I usually say Destructo Disk, Spirit Bomb/ball, but still say sigh-Yan.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:06 pm

I still use lots of them due to familiarity, and the fact that most English speaking fans use them. And some of them sound kind of cool.

There are some exeptions though. I'll generally say Kaioken over Kayoken, as that's what the dub has used for a long time now (since Burst Limit in 2008), and it rolls off the tongue better. I'll also say"ki" rather than the more generic "energy" term the dub uses, because the videogames have always used the former even dubbed, and it's just more specific in what it's referring to.

I'll also never say "General Tao", because it's a direct contradiction of who the character is in the story, and honestly should've been corrected in the remastered dub.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:32 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:06 pm

I'll also never say "General Tao", because it's a direct contradiction of who the character is in the story, and honestly should've been corrected in the remastered dub.
Well, the Dragon Ball dub went with Mercenary Tao. Which isn't exactly accurate either but is at least a lot closer. So there's that for fans wanting to stick to dub isms

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:45 pm

"Mercenary Tao" sounds even worse than "General Tao" to me, despite being somewhat more accurate. It's a silly term to use as a title.

The character doesn't even need a title anyhow.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:50 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:45 pm "Mercenary Tao" sounds even worse than "General Tao" to me, despite being somewhat more accurate. It's a silly term to use as a title.

I'm inclined to agree. I'm glad they didn't call him General Tao in the Dragon Ball dub but there's no reason to call him Mercenary Tao other than wanting to stick to their [Title] Tao naming convention. They should have just called him Tao Pai Pai when they realized how stupid General Tao was for the character instead of their weird compromise.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:30 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:45 pm "Mercenary Tao" sounds even worse than "General Tao" to me, despite being somewhat more accurate. It's a silly term to use as a title.

Yeah, Tao Pai Pai is a hitman, not a soldier. If they called him "Assassin Tao", it would have been somewhat understandable, but I guess Funi is not known for their ingenious dub translations. :roll:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san