Absurdities of claiming that canon does not exist

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: Absurdities of claiming that canon does not exist

Post by Skar » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:03 am

I recall Herms explaining there's no word in Japanese for "canon" or at least not in the same way it's used in western media. There are obviously different continuties but no official distinction between canon and non-canon. I prefer to consider the original manga as the main continuity and source that everything else official branches off from.

You could argue anything Toriyama is involved in is "canon" but I don't think you could really get a clear single continuity from that. There are three continuties of Super but each includes some filler or supplementary ideas that appeared outside the original manga. He also had involvement in the original anime, Online, and what he said in interviews that he might've forgot or didn't take into consideration when working on the revival. I think at best it could be narrowed down to a set of continuites that involve Toriyama more than others.