Would you enjoy a midquel?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Would you enjoy a midquel?

Post by Peach » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:25 am

Kaboom wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:02 am If I ever manage to regain any shred of confidence in new DB material being good, then I'd much rather get as far away from the original-run time period as possible (especially the modern "revival" material), and see a distant-past prequel or far-future sequel.

Give us a post-GT miniseries about Goku Junior. Or a story about the ancient Saiyans of Universe 7 and a more detailed account of the original Super Saiyan God (because in spite of everything I still like THAT form and want to see it get the spotlight again).
Seeing the far future would be amazing.

Imagine seeing Uub as a 45 year old badass. Muscular, long hair, knows all of Goku's techniques. The protector of Earth. Having a role similar to Tenzin in Legend of Korra, in a world that is like Dragon Ball Online. With the world seeing a Ki reconnaissance thanks to Gohan's book. With Majin people, Namekian & Yardrat immigrants. Large pockets of Crane & Turtle students around the world. People who have studied transforming like Oolong and Puar. Goku and Vegeta could be more like myths or fables to Earth.

Imagine Dende, Krillin, and Tien being super elderly like Kami and Roshi too.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:08 am

If it's done right - of course! I'm hungry for good Dragon Ball content.

If it's like Super - nah. I don't know if I could handle another disappointment.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:26 pm

We have had so many years of fanfiction and fanmangas (I am into it, but I know people who are) that at this point I am not sure it is really important to have an oficial version of them. Oh and let's not forget the What if's on YT and other social media.

I am also afraid that what happened to starwars and the latest series Obiwan series could happen to DB as well. For those who don't knowit, this is: around 2018 the fans start saying saying stuff like "I would totally watch an support a series about obiwan" and when the time comes some years adter, they actually don't, so they cancel the series :thumbdown:

These are dangerous times for investments I don't want TOEI animation betting all of their money into DB only and then blame it on the franchise when they simply don't get the moneys back.

An animated movie every few years can work greatly, I just hope they don't go all netflix on DB.

Power Metal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Power Metal » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:36 am

dva_raza wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:24 pm I would enjoy it yes. DB is fun when it's peaceful too.
After Cell. I want to see the process of how Vegeta became "domesticated" as he said, and how Krillin got together with 18 and some minor villain or challenge could be inserted so it's not too peaceful.
Koitsukai wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:40 pm But to me the most wasted period of time was the 7 years after the Cell Games. I mean, the Bojack movie is just a bootleg Cell Games. A short story about how Vegeta overcame Goku's death, and the Smallville days of the Golden Warrior. Baby Goten and baby Trunks, too.
There's a ton that can be done with the 7 year post-Cell gap. I would kind of like to see 17's life during that time.
I do far more lurking than actual posting.

https://www.last.fm/user/AlexPowerMetal

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:50 pm

Trouser wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:08 am If it's done right - of course! I'm hungry for good Dragon Ball content.

If it's like Super - nah. I don't know if I could handle another disappointment.
I'd love small scale stories told in either of the universes. I think more stories could be told on Earth too. I always circle back to this, but we still don't know a lot about Tien, Yamcha, Chaozu, or even Krillin for that matter. And there's still so much esoteric and technological goodness on Earth that we can still sink our teeth into.

There's still more to the worlds of u7 as well, as we've glimpsed in the last 2 manga arcs.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:10 pm

Super was set up to be a midquel, I think.
Trouser wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:08 am If it's done right - of course! I'm hungry for good Dragon Ball content.

This.

BWri wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:50 pm I'd love small scale stories told in either of the universes. I think more stories could be told on Earth too. I always circle back to this, but we still don't know a lot about Tien, Yamcha, Chaozu, or even Krillin for that matter. And there's still so much esoteric and technological goodness on Earth that we can still sink our teeth into.

There's still more to the worlds of u7 as well, as we've glimpsed in the last 2 manga arcs.
A small scale would be a nice change of pace from the world-breaking apocalyptic scales seen in DBS.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.