Kazuki Takahashi (YuGiOh creator) was a fan of Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Kazuki Takahashi (YuGiOh creator) was a fan of Dragon Ball

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:10 pm

He claimed it as one of his influences. While he was more strategic and far-thinking than Toriyama, the influence is clear.

RIP sir.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Re: Kazuki Takahashi (YuGiOh creator) was a fan of Dragon Ball

Post by Ssj3Engels » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:09 am

"R.I.P.", I guess...

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:12 am

Ssj3Engels wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:09 am "R.I.P.", I guess...
I guess??? Really?

Anyway, RIP Kazuki Takahashi. Your legacy lives on.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:42 am

From time to time, I go back to Yu-Gi-Oh!, whether to watch a bunch of episodes, play the games or listen to soundtracks... I have been doing all of them for these last weeks (as I managed to buy Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist and been playing it a lot). So to wake up this morning to this news is beyond words. Takahashi felt so close to me as I've been reading his name nearly everywhere.

I tend to say that Dragon Ball Heroes, specifically the Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission manga and that one special anime episode focusing on the kids playing the game, feels like a "polymerization" between the Dragon Ball and Yu-Gi-Oh! franchises to me, a perfect blend that I still hope they do more of those in the future, and to know that Takahashi himself was a fan of Dragon Ball makes me feel so connected to two of my beloved childhood series at the same time.

"Heartbreaking" isn't enough to describe this sad day and his passing. Hopefully we can maintain his legacy and that it lives on forever. May the King of Games rest in peace.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:02 am

R.I.P.

Which shonen mangaka isn't a fan of Dragon Ball though?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:04 am

Kaiba was clearly inspired by Vegeta.

Devastating news. I like many people my age grew up with Yu-Gi-Oh, it was my second favourite anime next to Dragon Ball. I loved the anime, manga and of course the card game. May Takahashi rest in peace, he's with Atem now.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:34 am

And now shinzo abe has died. A tough week for japan. I know this isnt related to dragon ball, but my condolences to everyone affected by takahashi and abe's passings. Both icons taken tragically.

As for yugioh, i was never a fan but i do remember it was WAY bigger in the 2000s than it is now and my friends/family played and watched it so it was a presence in my life. And that english theme intro is iconic! Ill always treasure those memories and also cherish the time we have left with toriyama with us

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:09 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:04 am Kaiba was clearly inspired by Vegeta.
They have nothing in common other than the vague rival archetype

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:04 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:09 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:04 am Kaiba was clearly inspired by Vegeta.
Yes, especially considering Kaiba isn't that much of an asshole in the Japanese version and the manga. Just a determined hard-worker.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:43 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:04 am
Yes, especially considering Kaiba isn't that much of an asshole in the Japanese version and the manga.
I mean, he absolutely was a sociopathic asshole in the early manga. But I'm pretty sure he was toned down right when duel monsters became the sole focus of the story which means in the Duel Monsters anime he was only an asshole for the first episode.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:05 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:43 am

Yes, especially considering Kaiba isn't that much of an asshole in the Japanese version and the manga.
I mean, he absolutely was a sociopathic asshole in the early manga. But I'm pretty sure he was toned down right when duel monsters became the sole focus of the story which means in the Duel Monsters anime he was only an asshole for the first episode.
Atem literally destroyed the evil in his heart so of course... beyond that point, Kaiba is only really an asshole to Jonouchi which is understandable when you look at it from his perceptive.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:18 pm

I remember Yu-Gi-Oh having been just as big a deal in the U.S. as Dragon Ball back in the day. It’s a bit of a shame that the franchise eventually just became little more than an excuse to promote the card game. The manga apparently isn’t even that big of a big seller. People are mostly familiar with the anime.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:26 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:18 pm I remember Yu-Gi-Oh having been just as big a deal in the U.S. as Dragon Ball back in the day. It’s a bit of a shame that the franchise eventually just became little more than an excuse to promote the card game.
Yu-Gi-Oh was one of the fastest growing media franchises back in the day so at its peak, it was arguably a bigger franchise than Dragon Ball though obviously the latter stood the test of time much more.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:54 pm

I haven't cared about Yu-Gi-Oh since 2005 and I try to get back into it, but they made the game way too crazy for me. This is still sad news considering that he still had friends, family, and a loyal fan base.
Yeah, it's pretty much a common trope in Shonen anime and manga.

Goku & Vegeta
Kenshiro and Shin
Guyver I & Guyver III
Yugi & Kiba
Ash & Gary
Naruto & Sasuke

There's probably more that I'm forgetting.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:21 pm

Yes, especially considering Kaiba isn't that much of an asshole in the Japanese version and the manga. Just a determined hard-worker.
He built an entire amusement park and hired professional soldiers and an escaped mass murderer as "staff" just to get back at a kid for beating him in a card game once.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:59 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:18 pm I remember Yu-Gi-Oh having been just as big a deal in the U.S. as Dragon Ball back in the day. It’s a bit of a shame that the franchise eventually just became little more than an excuse to promote the card game. The manga apparently isn’t even that big of a big seller. People are mostly familiar with the anime.
Tbf the franchise was an excuse to promote the card game the minute the more popular Duel Monsters tv series was made.

I get that Takahashi didn't create the manga to sell a card game, which was just one one of many "games" featured in the story for the first few years or so, but that is ultimately what it evolved into and that's why it was brought over to the States.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:24 pm

Adamant wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:21 pm

He built an entire amusement park and hired professional soldiers and an escaped mass murderer as "staff" just to get back at a kid for beating him in a card game once.
Well it had more to do with the death hallucinations Yami put him through than anything, but his game obsession is the root cause I suppose.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:49 pm

Funimation even try to dub Yu-Gi-Oh back in 1999, but nothing happen https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.an ... KdzYz-pzoJ
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:07 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:49 pm Funimation even try to dub Yu-Gi-Oh back in 1999, but nothing happen https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.an ... KdzYz-pzoJ
What's interesting is as best I can tell the Duel Monsters anime didn't start airing in Japan until April 2000 so either Funimation was trying to license the Toei tv series or they knew about the Duel Monsters anime going into production before it actually aired in Japan. Which I guess is possible? That seemed to be how it worked with Saban getting Digimon out in the US only 6 months after fuji tv started airing it in Japan.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:22 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:07 pmWhat's interesting is as best I can tell the Duel Monsters anime didn't start airing in Japan until April 2000 so either Funimation was trying to license the Toei tv series or they knew about the Duel Monsters anime going into production before it actually aired in Japan. Which I guess is possible? That seemed to be how it worked with Saban getting Digimon out in the US only 6 months after fuji tv started airing it in Japan.
Yep, April 2000. By the time that thread was posted in November '99, Duel Monsters had almost definitely already been announced. Most anime tend to be publicly announced at minimum close to a year before they actually air.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.