How strong has Piccolo gotten over 3 years?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Re: How strong has Piccolo gotten over 3 years?

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:59 pm

Mireya wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:03 pm Do you imagine he surpassed Freeza by a lot? I think there's conflicting evidences.
I think that Piccolo Junior (Sync With Nail) from the Androids Saga had surpassed Son Goku (20X Kaiōken) and Fourth Form Frieza (50% Maximum) from the Frieza Saga, but is still weaker than Super Saiyan Son Goku and Fourth Form Frieza (100% Maximum) from the Frieza Saga.

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:49 am

I think it's important to look at the original subtitles of Piccolo's conversation about the Androids in the anime as they were heading to the city.

Episode: 138
Time: 3:33-4:10
Context: Piccolo asks Goku about their chances of beating the Androids.
Piccolo: Son Goku, how about it? In your honest opinion, against these new foes... Do you think we can win?
Goku: There's no way to know without seeing them first. I'll tell you once we get started.
Piccolo: How nice for you to be so carefree. I'm sure I can beat these Artificial Humans... But I can't shake this terrible foreboding feeling I have.
Goku: Terrible foreboding? Piccolo, do me a favor, if things get rough on you, don't overdo it. After all, if you die, the Dragon Balls will disappear too.

The manga may have been a bit unclear about this but the original subbed makes it a clear point that Piccolo was confident that he individually could defeat the Androids. Goku doesn't disregard this. In fact, he only becomes concerned about Piccolo's statement when Piccolo mentions that he has a premonition. As such, Goku suggests Piccolo remain cautious as to preserve the Dragon Balls but he doesn't suggest that Piccolo doesn't have a chance against them. For this to be the case, Piccolo would have certainly surpassed Trunks and Goku from three years prior given that Goku was uncertain about his chances against the Androids even after training rigorously for three years.

I think Piccolo being much stronger than Yardrat Goku must be the case. It also coincides with Piccolo being so powerful that it would require one to become Super Saiyan at that point according to Kuririn. And Piccolo didn't seem so far below the Super Saiyans.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:32 pm

Trunks vs Freeza is so weird. Right before the dight they make a point to say Freeza is not at full power, but the second Trunks slices Freeza Cold is calling him the strongest.

In the anime Trunks says Freeza held back on that blast, and Freeza then proceeds to throw a Supernova on Trunks. Aside from the planet not blowing up I think that’s a good portrayal of the events.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:53 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:32 pm Trunks vs Freeza is so weird. Right before the dight they make a point to say Freeza is not at full power, but the second Trunks slices Freeza Cold is calling him the strongest.

In the anime Trunks says Freeza held back on that blast, and Freeza then proceeds to throw a Supernova on Trunks. Aside from the planet not blowing up I think that’s a good portrayal of the events.
Right. King Cold doesn't even think Frieza's so-called suppression was the reason why he lost. He only attributes Frieza's loss to Trunks' sword even though mentioning that Frieza was suppressed would be completely relevant in explaining why he lost.

This is just storytelling 101. Trunks killing Frieza in a single blow was meant to set the stage for the Androids. We are led to believe they are beasts because they are so much stronger than a Super Saiyan who could easily kill Frieza. Goku even says as much.

Chapter: 335 (DBZ 141), P3.3-4
Goku: “For you, a Super Saiyan who instantly defeated Freeza and co., to call them monsters is really something…
Trunks “Yes…I’ve stood against them, but unfortunately…In any case, I’m up against two of them…Even fighting one-on-one, I could barely manage to escape…”

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:38 am

He definetly surpassed Frieza in all of his forms, given he was potrayed as fighting in a similar level to SSJ Vegeta, who was comparable to Goku (perhaps even stronger, according to Vegeta's own words), who easily blocked Trunks' attacks 3 years ago, Trunks being the man that sliced Frieza in half without sweating, a Frieza that was stated to be stronger than the one Goku beat in Namek.

I'd say that while he is slightly weaker than Vegeta, he's in the same weight class, at that time Goku, Vegeta and Piccolo were pretty much even, and whoever won a fight between the three of them would have done so with extreme difficulty, but all three of them could have done to Frieza the same that Trunks did.