Goku and a Saiyan's Personality

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Goku and a Saiyan's Personality

Post by BeaBumby » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:29 pm

This is gonna be hard to explain, but I don't really like how overtime they explained a bunch of Goku's character traits with "It's his saiyan blood!" and stuff like that.

Like with his eagerness to fight, it's just how saiyans are, apparently. It kinda devalues the whole 21st Budokai, and what Roshi did to ensure Goku wouldn't lose interest in fighting. I'd rather not have Goku's personality be affected much by his heritage, it would make his whole "I ain't a saiyan, I'm an earthling!" thing be all the truer.
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Goku and a Saiyan's Personality

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:23 pm

Even his kindness is being attributed to Bardock these days for some reason, even though Bardock’s moral compass is something closer to Current Vegeta at best.

But as far as his fighting interest, his earlier experiences definitely shaped him. He’s much more battle hungry than any other Saiyan in the series and puts improving himself above anything else on his life while other Saiyans were more into the carnage. I doubt Goku would be much different if he were a human.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Re: Goku and a Saiyan's Personality

Post by Ashur » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:00 am

While i generally agree, i feel like Goku's desire for good fights is expressed differently than with other Saiyans.

With the rest of them is more of a bloodthirst, they are hungry to spill some blood, to dominate weaker opponents and/or finally kill the bastards that are more powerful than them, we see this a lot with Vegeta and Raditz, Raditz is eager to kill hundreds of defenseless civillians, that's not a challenge, it is merely a massacre, Vegeta yearns for getting to kill Dodoria, Zarbon, Frieza, and Cell, but he doesn't particularly desire the challenge of the fight itself, but in reality just to prove to them that they aren't as hot as they think they are, to overthrow their status, so to speak, to put himself at the top.

While there is some of that last part on Goku, the desire to be the best, in general he is mostly excited only at the thought of someone stronger than him existing, he yearns for finding someone that is superior to him, to see what that person is capable of, when he sees Buu, he's amazed at his ability to surpass everyone and that's why he says he admires Buu, he likes having a rival, someone that makes him struggle, i feel that Goku values the struggle above the feeling of accomplishment in surpassing that person, that is why Goku seems satisfied with Broly and Uub, two people that, at their full potential, will be unstoppable compared to Goku, so they will never stop being a challenge for him.

Basically, while it is the same basic desire, all the other Saiyans value the acts of violence, while Goku values the struggle, and this is largely because of his upbringing.

That said i do hate how current media tries to potray Goku's heroic and selfless traits as coming from Bardock and Gine, but i prefer to think that Goku didin't inherit anything, after all there's no explicit evidence that is the case, we know Goku was a violent boy when he was a toddler, Bardock's heroic traits seem to be more of a "learned" thing, much like Vegeta's heroic traits from these days, not something he inherently had, so Goku could have inherited Bardock's original qualities before he became more heroic, went down to earth as a savage, violent Saiyan who learned different.