Is Dragon Ball the biggest manga/anime series globally?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Is Dragon Ball the biggest manga/anime series globally?

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:20 pm

I believe there was a similar thread to this posted around five years ago on these forums, but in lieu of the latest movie opening to number one at the North American box office with minimal advertising, this was a question that’s been on my mind.

I realize that in terms of Japan specifically, One Piece has it beat, and is in fact the best selling manga series by far (although to be fair, it’s had significantly more chapters published than the original Dragon Ball manga), but when taking international markets into account, especially places like Latin America, is Dragon Ball number one?

Oh, and for the record, this doesn’t count Pokemon. That’s a video game franchise first and foremost, and people don’t even talk about the anime anymore.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is Dragon Ball the biggest manga/anime series globally?

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:27 pm

I would assume still One Piece but that has more to do with length than anything.

Dragon Ball still sold more when averaged per volume https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... ling_manga

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:34 pm

Pokémon doesn't count, so yeah it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... franchises
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:34 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:27 pm I would assume still One Piece but that has more to do with length than anything.

Dragon Ball still sold more when averaged per volume https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... ling_manga
I guess I should have clarified. I’m not talking strictly manga sales. I mean as a whole, when taking in revenue from things like merchandise, video games, the anime etc., is Dragon Ball at the top?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:53 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:34 pm Pokémon doesn't count, so yeah it is.

The fact that Dragon Ball outsells fucking Batman is kind of impressive.

Misu

Post by Misu » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:05 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:34 pm Pokémon doesn't count, so yeah it is.

Anpanman is above Dragon Ball.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:08 pm

If we're talking about strictly anime/manga then yes, Dragon Ball rules the anime/manga kingdom. One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, My Hero Academia, etc. are its children.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:24 pm

I’m not entirely sure I buy the full accuracy of that list. Fist of the North Star/Hokuto No Ken above One Piece?

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:44 pm

As an entire whole worldwide yes. Dragon Ball and Pokémon are the two most well known anime around and the latter is only really still a thing because of the popularity of the games.

The Broly movie was the highest grossing anime movie outside of Japan (maybe Japan and China) except for the first Pokémon movie. It opened at #1 in many countries especially Latin America.

There's no other anime series that has spun off a video game series that is as successful as Dragon Ball. Just the last four consoles games have sold over 25 million copies. The only one that I can recall that sold millions like that was Naruto and that was just the Ultimate Ninja games.

It's a series that's had international break out success not once but twice. It struck big with Dragon Ball Z in the 90's and then it did again with Super. Was one of if not the most streamed anime, was getting the most views on YouTube, it trended on Twitter.

It had a reference in the Shang Chi movie just last year.

A hugely successful series of animes since the 80's, the second best selling manga ever, multi million selling games, hit movies that open to #1 outside of Japan, very successful with merchandise etc.

The only thing it hasn't had is a successful live action movie series.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:59 am

Yes, it is the most mainstream. When someone thinks of "anime", they think of "Dragon Ball", the anime where people punch each other, scream a lot, and have yellow hair. No other anime is as iconic and recognizable as Dragon Ball.

By the way, One Piece is not more popular and iconic than Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Super, a sequel/midquel of the original that, we can all agree, is less iconic than DBZ (since it's been around for only 7 years), overtook One Piece in terms of ratings:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime ... se-ratings

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:18 am

Also depends on territory. I would say that globally, it is actually Pokémon.
But the most popular would be Naruto. Sure, we might think that we live in the world of streaming and on the message boards, that are basically a bubble, otaku, anime fans and others have niche tastes to general audience.

Also, there is this blog https://diamondlobby.com/geeky-stuff/mo ... lar-anime/

Is Dragon Ball the biggest series globally? Not now I guess... but it is one if the biggest and most succesful ones worldwide and it was probably the biggest in it's heyday at the end of 90s and beginning of 00s.
I know that Naruto was huge in Europe, that it got into the mainstream the same way Pokémon did.
People who weren't into anime were watching it, some people got through it into more anime, to many, it was their "Dragon Ball" a decade after.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:36 am

If were talking strictly anime and manga Dragon Ball would be the most well known. As has been said Pokemon is more popular overall, but without the games it would fall short of Dragon Ball, which has far more dedicated fans of the other two aforementioned mediums.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:44 am

I suppose? I mean, One Piece, Gundamn and Anpanman are bigger series in Japan than Dragon Ball, but Dragon Ball is more recognisable in a worldwide census when you consider anime and/or manga series specifically.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:58 am

Well, the Pokémon anime is pretty damn popular and is one of the few Japanese series, that actually caters to the same demographics worldwide.
I remember being a bit of an outsider back in the day, being a fan of the games starting with Red and not really enjoying the anime, but everyone watched it! Everyone knows who or what Pikachu is, even non fans, which puts it on the same level as Darth Vader, Batman and other pop icons. Son Goku is not that iconic outside of Japan and maybe US.

And two decades after, there are kids on the streets with Pokémon on their bags, trading card game still selling with other merch and the series has the same popularity steady power entering a third decade.

I think that saying that, oh but Pokémon is a game series mainly, so it doesn't count next to Dragon Ball as anime series, is wrong.
And while Pokémon still goes strong in mainstream, Dragon Ball Super ended a long time ago, it was hyped, but now it goes on re-runs in the middle of night on sat TV.
Also, Dragon Ball is mostly popular due to the anime outside of Japan. Same goes for Pokémon and if kids got into the Pokémon games, it was thanks to anime. Which is insane, as that is the same model that actually works in Japan, as all the other series are took as the main game outside of Japan and the merch is just there to complement the TV run.

I would like to see a breakdown, if we would take it not by popularity, but by how much money each series made on different continents. That might be telling. We have Japan and US, that are probably the biggest markets in their own ranks and are pretty homogenic and then we have Europe with different tastes (with some countries not airing Dragon Ball at all).
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:24 am

Pokemon as a media franchise is far bigger than Dragon Ball but people don't really care about the Pokemon anime these days outside nostalgia for the first season. The Dragon Ball anime franchise has remained highly popular throughout the years without an anime series consistently running (even though it declined a bit in popularity during the late-2000s to early-2010s).

Pokemon's a fad. Dragon Ball is legendary.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:44 am

yeah probably, there's a few of series' that are bigger in japan, but i don't think any of them have had the crossover dragon ball has had. i do think some dragon ball fans tend to get a little weird about it though.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:25 am

I don't know about current or historical sales, readers, box offices, in Japan or worldwide, but I doubt another series is so ingrained in popular culture. Pokemon, yes, I can see it being a contender, but the new series I don't think so.

I could approach a stranger on the streets, of any age, and they'll know to what show Goku belongs to, however I doubt they'll know who Luffy is or where he belongs to. Or the Kamehameha, I don’t think a random guy would know Naruto’s signature move.
For instance, there are hooligans nicknamed after DB characters, even though probably many people might not know who they are, they know where they belong to. Like, 30 years ago, the nickname for a guy like that, in such a devious environment would be a well-known character like, say, He-Man or Sandokan, and today is Majin Buu. Something similar happens with Pokemon but on a smaller scale, Pikachu is the name given to the device used to trim down weed before smoking it.

I mean, I don’t even know what this means, but well, DB characters are certainly famous beyond their fandom.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:31 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:24 amPokemon's a fad. Dragon Ball is legendary.
The highest grossing media franchise of all time (nearly four times that of DB) is definitely a fad.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:43 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:24 am Pokemon as a media franchise is far bigger than Dragon Ball but people don't really care about the Pokemon anime these days outside nostalgia for the first season.
Clearly the cartoon does well with its target audience. Its just adults seem less interested in the anime. Kids are people too. Barely. But still.

Pokemon's a fad. Dragon Ball is legendary.
Fads go away in a year or two. They don't make big money over 25 years later.

GatoF
Beyond Newbie

Post by GatoF » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:01 pm

No franchise is bigger than Pokémon not even Marvel can compete with it moneywise.