Do You Prefer Reading The Manga In Color Or BW?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Do You Prefer Reading The Manga In Color Or BW?

Post by ATA » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:26 pm

BW = Black and White

Howdy,

I been reading up on Dragon Ball a lot lately. I came across a few videos that uses the full color manga and I always enjoy seeing Super color pages be posted on Twitter so see the differences between manga colors and anime colors. I'm just wondering, do you guys prefer reading Dragon Ball and DBS in color or BW? I prefer BW honestly. I think sometimes color make the art look weird. I can't describe it, perhaps my eyes used to BW manga so seeing it in color makes it look different even though the artwork is the same. I do like the colored covers though. The limited color pages are also cool at times.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Do You Prefer Reading The Manga In Color Or BW?

Post by pepd » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:15 am

For me is: Colored DB special pages > B&W = Digitally Colored DB >> Digitally Colored DBS. Color is a nice addition, but the lineal drawing with some black has it's charm and is easy to read. The special colored pages with its simpler and selective coloring I think has the best of both. DBS's shadowing, auras and palette are a real turn off.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:46 am

The full color manga is kind of a weird...uncanny valley for lack of a better term? I prefer black and white, just to see Akira Toriyamas sometimes strange and inconsistent color choices
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:10 am

I like the Full-Color edition as a fun novelty (still need to get around to collecting the English Freeza-arc volumes), but I prefer the original mostly black-and-white version.

I eagerly await the day when Viz finally gives the series its due with a fancy new hardcover release that contains ALL the color pages...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

StevenPiccolo

Post by StevenPiccolo » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:10 am

I haven't seen too many colored pages of this manga specifically, but I think the shift might be weird since the BW is super simple and easy for your eyes to digest all the information on the page. The original manga doesn't have complicated tones or shading, so seeing it shaded with all the busy colored backgrounds, debris, objects can detract from the experience. I think the backgrounds usually have nice colors at least, it's the character's colors not really reacting to the environment around them, but I suppose it would save a lot of time to keep it all more uniform.

The special color chapters are neat though.
S.W.A.G. = Something We sAiyans Got

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:32 am

I like them both.

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Accountant » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:59 am

For me, reading in color makes whatever is going on a little easier to understand. Especially with manga where everything is so cluttered or detailed.

However, Akira Toriyama is very good with balancing art with negative space. So I often default to B&W. Though, the color is a welcome edition.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:27 am

I would love to read the anga, but I only have the Japanese colored manga, which... I can't read. I can't bring myself to buy the Viz full color manga because it's incomplete. And while I would be extremely tempted to buy an incomplete version of the anime (like the Level sets), I don't have that pull for the manga... Or, do I? Because I bought the Japanese version lol

I would find it odd to read a portion of the story in color, but not even the majority of it. I have the Viz/Shonen Jump subscription and good is on my favorites list, but I haven't read it yet. I just like to flip through the Japanese colored manga to look at the pictures. Plus, since Super is in black and white, I stick to black and white.

So, black and white for me.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:29 am

If I had the choice, I would read it as it was originally published in Japan in Jump and the Kanzenban volumes; all the originally black and white chapters in black and white, all the partial colour chapters in partial colour, and all the full colour chapters in full colour. Unfortunately, there is no English release like this.

Failing that, if I had the choice, I'd go with the complete full colour manga. Unfortunately Viz cancelled the Full Colours.

So, I'm left with sticking to purely black and white, which is not so bad honestly. The colour pages greyscale just fine, and most of the manga was black and white anyway. So I'm happy with that.

Yes, in theory, I could spring for the VizBigs and get some of the original colour pages, some greyscaled, but for twice the price of the normal 3-in-1s, less than half of the original colour just isn't worth it in my book. Plus the 3-in-1s are a lovely form-factor; not too hungry for shelf space, nice spine art, I like that the spine text is just "Dragonball", and the value simply can't be beaten without going digital. (And even then, your only option is the Shounen Jump subscription, which is pretty brilliant since it's $2 for a month of unlimited reading!)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:27 pm

Aside from the physical volumes (black and white in Italian), I mostly use the Shonen Jump app on my phone these days, so I'm stuck with black and white for the most part, there are some chapters in full color but not many of them.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:52 am

One of the biggest reasons I don’t read manga is because it’s not in color. Don’t get me wrong, I love black and white movies and tv shows just fine, and if that’s how they were shot I don’t have a problem with watching it in black and white. But for cartoons in particular, color just breathes life into the artwork and makes everything pop off the page/screen.

A couple of years ago, I collected the full color Dragon Ball manga from Japan and I must say that after viewing those, there is no going back to reading the black and white manga for me. Also, while the full color Dragon Ball Super manga isn’t as beautiful as the full color original manga, it is still nice.

Really hoping VIZ puts out an uncensored hardbook full color version one day. Also with a new translation please.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:21 am

Black and white... I am purist in a sense and BW manga plus the colored pages are basically how Toriyama drew it originally.
Somehow, the japanese manga has an excotic appeal to me, of being basically a cross between old newspaper strips (and even modern ones, continuing this tradition) and caligraphy in a sense and also, in comparison to western comic books with an army of pencilers, inkers, colorists and letterists + guy who writes the script, as it is rarely the same person doing story and art.
I think that the Japanese custom of an writer/artist plus an assistant is crazy and no wonder that Toriyama basically burnt out doing a weekly series or Masami Kurumada being left with chronic pain in his hands.

The full colored manga is a nice afterthought, but I think that the original art gets lost a bit in it and I love Toriyama's speed lines and distortions in just the simple form. The full colored version seems like loosing an impact in the fight scenes.

Also, Toriyama had many "odd choices" for colors, as we are used to the anime, so looking back on his colored art is sometimes unusual, but I really love that as being the original. The full color manga basically takes the color scheme from anime.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:09 pm

Personally, I prefer the colour somewhat even though I know full well it can be seen as sacrilege. Like, granted, the original manga can be easy to understand just through black and white, so if I were forced to read it black and white, I'd probably just go ahead and have a good time with it still. His artwork is shockingly clean in spite of its age.

Although, come Super, and even though I could get the basics down fine in black and white, I personally would like to hunt down coloured copies as Super's use of coloured forms make identifying any form Goku or Vegeta uses to be less confusing. Of course, in fairness to Toyotaro, he has to draw, panel, ink, etc., all of that in a month by his lonesome, in a series that uses colours to differentiate between one another, so I at least sympathise with him in that department. Still, it'd be awesome if there is an official English colour release. Or at least a foreign language one, just to prove there is demand.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:01 am

Wrigglything wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:09 pm Personally, I prefer the colour somewhat even though I know full well it can be seen as sacrilege. Like, granted, the original manga can be easy to understand just through black and white, so if I were forced to read it black and white, I'd probably just go ahead and have a good time with it still. His artwork is shockingly clean in spite of its age.

Although, come Super, and even though I could get the basics down fine in black and white, I personally would like to hunt down coloured copies as Super's use of coloured forms make identifying any form Goku or Vegeta uses to be less confusing. Of course, in fairness to Toyotaro, he has to draw, panel, ink, etc., all of that in a month by his lonesome, in a series that uses colours to differentiate between one another, so I at least sympathise with him in that department. Still, it'd be awesome if there is an official English colour release. Or at least a foreign language one, just to prove there is demand.
You are right in that regard, that the new re-colored forms translate really bad into the manga in classic BW format.
I had real trouble in the Granolah arc and the final fight, to follow if Goku is SSJ God or Ultra Instinct and with Vegeta it is even worse.
The use of gradient for these forms is really confusing, maybe even a reason for Freeza to go black :lol:

One more reason why I love the original SSJ concept, with basically white hair and being visually striking compared to the Ice Cream Boys from Super. How to distinguish Goku Black SSJ Rose from SSJ Blue? You can't, it has to be explained through exposition, which I think is dumb. Goku in Namek Arc in manga also doesn't say "How do you like my new form? Isn't my blonde hair beautiful?"

Toriyama is genius in visual designs, but when you make concepts specifically for anime, well, it is completely different from doing them for black and white format obviously and I wonder, if Super was actually a manga sequel first, if we've got different solutions for new SSJ forms, except for basic God, as they are basically just re-colors.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:21 am

I prefer BW. For the coloured version, I prefer the anime, the colours flow much better there of course. Toriyama's style is also great for BW, other mangakas' aren't, and the pages can be a mess that only colour can explain, but Tori pulls off BW incredibly.

I do like reading coloured Dragonball, but I'd take BW anyday. Some coloured panels look too much like the CGI green screen they use in those boring Marvel movies, and that takes me away from the supposed location. Sometimes, I feel they are in a movie studio shooting a scene, instead of in a wasteland.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:36 am

I like both, I love the effort put into the Full Color version, but I love the extra punch from some darker things in the manga just being filled in as black, like Vegeta's battle suit.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:34 pm

I like both and I don't think that by having color it would really make the manga any different on plot, obviously, it is just visuals.

but honestly I have not read the manga in color and i don't know how to get it exactly, I came back to this fandom in 2020 but it was mainly for the creation of fanarts (with the ilusion of getting comissions)

I know some things are forbidden to post here but if some kind soul would send the URL to me on a private message or note on my site, I woudl appreciate it a lot.