Bardock: The Father of Goku - Everything Changes Edition (Funimation dub edit)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Bardock: The Father of Goku - Everything Changes Edition (Funimation dub edit)

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:08 am

So, the dub of the Bardock special is considered one of the worst Dragon Ball dubs today that hasn’t been replaced by Kai. And for good reason too, heavy rewrites, massive amounts of dialogue added whenever nobody’s mouth is on screen, changed character motivations, randomly changed dub names, etc.

While there have been solid fandubs of this special in the past, I decided that I’d see if I could create something that would have more resemblance to the original Japanese version using only the official materials I had to work with. (Bardock/Trunks double feature, DBZ Kai and the Japanese special selection DVD.)

Notable improvements include:
- Massive reduction in dialogue added when nobody was speaking.
- Total removal of the names “Fasha”, “Shugesh” and “Borgos”.
- Totepo/“Borgos” no longer has any dialogue, just like the original Japanese version.
- Bardock’s final showdown with Freeza now has his accurately translated “everything changes” speech from episode 42 of Kai instead of the original dub dialogue showing regret for the people he killed.

Current issues include:
- Baby Goku’s crying switches between English and Japanese at times.
- A few Japanese grunts make it into a some moments.
- One scene involving Bardock’s visions has remnants of an echo effect for removed dialogue.
- Some notable rewrites can’t be erased with the dialogue that’s available.

I may look at working on this a bit further to solve some of the issues this release has, but for now, I think it’s a reasonably serviceable effort for now. I’m only supplying audio for this project (currently in the form of a mono MP3) and you’ll need to sync it with your own copy of the special’s footage.

Here's the link to the audio file.

LukeRobertsArt

Re: Bardock: The Father of Goku - Everything Changes Edition (Funimation dub edit)

Post by LukeRobertsArt » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:18 pm

You've done a really good job on this one, a lot of the dub-isms of the time always bugged me and I'm glad to see a lot of them fixed.

Would you ever consider doing something similar to this with History of Trunks since it shares a few of the same issues in it's dub?

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Bardock: The Father of Goku - Everything Changes Edition (Funimation dub edit)

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:14 am

LukeRobertsArt wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:18 pm You've done a really good job on this one, a lot of the dub-isms of the time always bugged me and I'm glad to see a lot of them fixed.
Thank you! It means so much to me that people actually appreciate this. :)
LukeRobertsArt wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:18 pm Would you ever consider doing something similar to this with History of Trunks since it shares a few of the same issues in it's dub?
I could consider it, though I don’t think it’d be quite as dramatic an improvement as this one is.

PeteOfDawn

Post by PeteOfDawn » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:35 pm

Usually when it comes to audio edits like this using MKVToolNix to add the track to the original video is all you really have to do but with this it's not that simple. I'm not sure what was your original sync source was but this did not sync up to mine because of it not having the Dragon Ball Z Special title card and commercial break timings being different. I've edited the audio myself to the match the timing of Toei's Remaster. Use MKVToonNix to merge this audio with the remaster and the audio should be synced up fine.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KGMDoh ... sp=sharing

PeteOfDawn

Post by PeteOfDawn » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:01 pm

PeteOfDawn wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:35 pm Usually when it comes to audio edits like this using MKVToolNix to add the track to the original video is all you really have to do but with this it's not that simple. I'm not sure what was your original sync source was but this did not sync up to mine because of it not having the Dragon Ball Z Special title card and commercial break timings being different. I've edited the audio myself to the match the timing of Toei's Remaster. Use MKVToonNix to merge this audio with the remaster and the audio should be synced up fine.
Here's and updated link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pSDTH0 ... sp=sharing

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:12 pm

PeteOfDawn wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:35 pm Usually when it comes to audio edits like this using MKVToolNix to add the track to the original video is all you really have to do but with this it's not that simple. I'm not sure what was your original sync source was but this did not sync up to mine because of it not having the Dragon Ball Z Special title card and commercial break timings being different. I've edited the audio myself to the match the timing of Toei's Remaster. Use MKVToonNix to merge this audio with the remaster and the audio should be synced up fine.
Yeah, the edit was primarily synced with the double feature version (since that’s the primary source of the audio). I’d had no major issues syncing it with my Japanese DVD rip simply offsetting the sync to begin after the Dragon Ball Z Special title card, but there was the slight difference in commercial timings, which wasn’t major but did add up a little over time.