Fan group scanning/remastering of multi-generational film prints previously owned by FUNimation

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Inkei9001
Not-So-Newbie

Fan group scanning/remastering of multi-generational film prints previously owned by FUNimation

Post by Inkei9001 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:56 pm

https://twitter.com/kinekovideo/status/ ... alccNmBDag

The fine folks at kineko video received one of funimation/crunchy rolls films reels that was thrown out years ago. The same third generation film copy that funimation used to make their disgusting drnd blurays. They have proven what can be done with a good scan and no evil dnr. Puts crunchyroll/funimation and especially toeis green tinted trash to shame. All done without the backing of a billion dollar mega corporation. These companies should be ashamed at what they could do be refuse to. Especially with how much they needlessly crop out.

Again done with third generation films. Toei having the negatives could put this to same
But not too dang lazy

Someoneimportant

Re: amazing fan group does the work crunchy roll and toei REFUSE to.

Post by Someoneimportant » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:41 pm

Hope we see more and I'm sure we will, Kineko video simply never disappoints.

Leave it to fans to always do the proper work. :)

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Re: amazing fan group does the work crunchy roll and toei REFUSE to.

Post by LostTimeLord » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:30 pm

https://youtu.be/T6KkAq0un1o
They've posted the ending to youtube, though it was just a montage of still images to begin with.

But yeah, I'm very surprised at how good those shots look (as Kineko point out, it's hardly an ideal source). It resembles those direct scans of the cels used on merch/DVD covers more than the Funimation remaster.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Fan group scanning/remastering of multi-generational film prints previously owned by FUNimation

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:17 pm

With some white balance and contrast adjustments to restore dark details it's perfect:

Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Fan group scanning/remastering of multi-generational film prints previously owned by FUNimation

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:34 pm

That's cool.

Though, don't get too excited; these guys did transfers of some episodes of OG DB well over a year ago which have yet to see the light of day outside of the odd clip or screenshot. Apparently the known troll Enigmo is their chief colour corrector (or was), and that guy is sort of known for not wanting this sort of stuff to be available to people he doesn't like (i.e. any of us posting on this forum :lol:), so who knows precisely what will happen with this.

Really nice to see such a high-quality scan of this in full-frame though. Even these screenshots and the video of the ending are a real joy to see! :)
It would be lovely to see the entire reel (and their scans of those DB episodes!), but frankly I'm just happy to see what we have so far.

I'd be interested in seeing some comparison images between this transfer and Toei's widescreen HD version. Maybe Funi's HD version too, for kicks.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:20 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:34 pm That's cool.

Though, don't get too excited; these guys did transfers of some episodes of OG DB well over a year ago which have yet to see the light of day outside of the odd clip or screenshot. Apparently the known troll Enigmo is their chief colour corrector (or was), and that guy is sort of known for not wanting this sort of stuff to be available to people he doesn't like (i.e. any of us posting on this forum :lol:), so who knows precisely what will happen with this.

Really nice to see such a high-quality scan of this in full-frame though. Even these screenshots and the video of the ending are a real joy to see! :)
It would be lovely to see the entire reel (and their scans of those DB episodes!), but frankly I'm just happy to see what we have so far.

I'd be interested in seeing some comparison images between this transfer and Toei's widescreen HD version. Maybe Funi's HD version too, for kicks.

Cold World (Fanfic)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:54 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:20 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:34 pm I'd be interested in seeing some comparison images between this transfer and Toei's widescreen HD version. Maybe Funi's HD version too, for kicks.
Thanks.

Looks like Toei's reputation for excessive greenness holds true... Excessive warmth too.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:06 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:54 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:34 pm I'd be interested in seeing some comparison images between this transfer and Toei's widescreen HD version. Maybe Funi's HD version too, for kicks.
Thanks.

Looks like Toei's reputation for excessive greenness holds true... Excessive warmth too.
I believe it's an error in the way they export files...either way it's annoying as hell.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Inkei9001
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Inkei9001 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:27 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:34 pm . Apparently the known troll Enigmo is their chief colour corrector (or was),
He's the source of the screen shots. From their output in YouTube and the cat website they look to be doing pretty good.

Venny

Post by Venny » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:28 am

You're correct about Enigmo playing a role in how the group does things, but you're spreading disinformation about people he has/had issues with not getting these...lol. I have helped them for a while and can confirm to you that anyone who helps the group will get what they helped make happen. That's their first priority, to give to those that help make things happen. This stuff isn't cheap and whatever their agenda has been, clearly it's been a good one for it to have gotten them to this point where they're doing stuff at this level as a fan group.

Anyway, idk if you've just got very selective perception but Kineko's YT is full of "this sort of stuff" that probably cost them a bunch to pull off. If you think they might be different about DB, well just so you know Kei17 shared all 291 of DBZ episodes' Fuji BA to Kineko first and that's how last year the Fuji audio finally came to be public. There was no "aha yeah guys, we're just getting this to Chris Sabat" for 3+ years.

So where are those DB 16mm scans? Sending over to Chris Sabat for 2 years? Nah, just more DB episodes have been secured since then; the group's scanner chad went and bought an even better scanner so they're waiting to rescan what was scanned in 2020; there are other titles with the film in its totality and therefore make more sense to dedicate the time remastering; and lastly, a number of the members with the right gear to be working with film in 4K+ are busy using that gear for paid jobs.

If you wanna know they're genuine about the wait-up, notice how they've not teased or flaunted any screenshots or videos of DB eps since April 2021, because they realized under their current circumstance it's gonna be a while before they can get to it.

So, yeah, if you're wondering where something is it's probably better to just raise the question than go off on a negative, accusing, uninformed rant just two words into your post ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:13 am

Venny wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:28 am

You're correct about Enigmo playing a role in how the group does things, but you're spreading disinformation about people he has/had issues with not getting these...lol. I have helped them for a while and can confirm to you that anyone who helps the group will get what they helped make happen. That's their first priority, to give to those that help make things happen. This stuff isn't cheap and whatever their agenda has been, clearly it's been a good one for it to have gotten them to this point where they're doing stuff at this level as a fan group.

Anyway, idk if you've just got very selective perception but Kineko's YT is full of "this sort of stuff" that probably cost them a bunch to pull off. If you think they might be different about DB, well just so you know Kei17 shared all 291 of DBZ episodes' Fuji BA to Kineko first and that's how last year the Fuji audio finally came to be public. There was no "aha yeah guys, we're just getting this to Chris Sabat" for 3+ years.

So where are those DB 16mm scans? Sending over to Chris Sabat for 2 years? Nah, just more DB episodes have been secured since then; the group's scanner chad went and bought an even better scanner so they're waiting to rescan what was scanned in 2020; there are other titles with the film in its totality and therefore make more sense to dedicate the time remastering; and lastly, a number of the members with the right gear to be working with film in 4K+ are busy using that gear for paid jobs.

If you wanna know they're genuine about the wait-up, notice how they've not teased or flaunted any screenshots or videos of DB eps since April 2021, because they realized under their current circumstance it's gonna be a while before they can get to it.

So, yeah, if you're wondering where something is it's probably better to just raise the question than go off on a negative, accusing, uninformed rant just two words into your post ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
By associating with clowns, Kineko Video inherently becomes a circus, I think that's what Robo is getting at.

But I'm not surprised you resort to arrogant damage control, since you're the most laughable clown in the whole show.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:18 am

As soon as I saw that tweet I was blown away, simply incredible. And I knew people on this forum would make a post about it because it's Big news.

I hope the owner of this specific (DBZ movie 9) film print allows it to be released publicly. And I hope that a lot more collectors that are out there, that have this stuff come out and ask Kineko Video to scan there film. It's possible in the future that we could have a small collection of good 4K/HD content for the DB series, if more and more collectors come out and share what they have.

Venny

Post by Venny » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:04 am

Pride9000!!! wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:18 am As soon as I saw that tweet I was blown away, simply incredible. And I knew people on this forum would make a post about it because it's Big news.

I hope the owner of this specific (DBZ movie 9) film print allows it to be released publicly. And I hope that a lot more collectors that are out there, that have this stuff come out and ask Kineko Video to scan there film. It's possible in the future that we could have a small collection of good 4K/HD content for the DB series, if more and more collectors come out and share what they have.
There is a decent chance this will happen, but for now clips will be posted on the Kineko channel at 4K. Really sucks the full print couldn't be recovered because it's the best Dragon Ball Z has ever looked period. I'm at least happy the best part of the movie is preserved.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:10 am

What is it about color that brings out the toxic weirdos…?

Folks, I can’t stress enough how little (read: no) interest we have in your external squabbles and drama. We shouldn’t have to read “you’re a clown” and “nuh uh you are” over what by all other outside appearances should just be “hey that’s neat; anyway…” It’s really embarrassing (what I believe at one point the kids called “cringe”…?).

The thread title change was the first gentle push in the right direction; please consider this post as a second, official, administrative request, with account strikes and bans to follow for those that choose not live up to the spirit of the community guidelines.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Venny

Post by Venny » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:06 am

VegettoEX wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:10 am What is it about color that brings out the toxic weirdos…?

Folks, I can’t stress enough how little (read: no) interest we have in your external squabbles and drama. We shouldn’t have to read “you’re a clown” and “nuh uh you are” over what by all other outside appearances should just be “hey that’s neat; anyway…” It’s really embarrassing (what I believe at one point the kids called “cringe”…?).

The thread title change was the first gentle push in the right direction; please consider this post as a second, official, administrative request, with account strikes and bans to follow for those that choose not live up to the spirit of the community guidelines.
I understand. I had no intention of ever starting any fight in this thread and I agree it should be free of any drama. All I wanted to do was clear the air since there has been a lot of misinformation about how Kineko presents and preserves media. Thanks for trying to keep the thread clean!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:20 am

Pride9000!!! wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:18 am I hope the owner of this specific (DBZ movie 9) film print allows it to be released publicly. And I hope that a lot more collectors that are out there, that have this stuff come out and ask Kineko Video to scan there film. It's possible in the future that we could have a small collection of good 4K/HD content for the DB series, if more and more collectors come out and share what they have.
If collectors were interested in publicly sharing their transfers, we'd already have a lot of cool stuff, but Japanese fans in particular (i.e. the most likely fans to have prints) are very concerned about potential litigation from Toei, so in general any transfers are done privately. It's not a stretch to imagine many western fans are the same way; I know of fans who have a bunch of cool Canadian dub related things but they aren't exactly obligated to publicly share copyrighted recordings, as much as there's definitely a selfish desire among many (myself included) to see this stuff, but it's just not reasonable to expect to.

Still, anything we do see shared will be interesting to see. The owner of this print of reel 3 of this movie seems to be of a very share-y mindset, so maybe we do see the full transfer at some point. Would be very, very cool.
Venny wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:06 am I understand. I had no intention of ever starting any fight in this thread and I agree it should be free of any drama.
With respect, if you didn't want to start a fight or cause drama, bringing up the broadcast audio (about which you clearly do not know the whole story) and directing some very specific uncharitable remarks in my direction wasn't a good move. If you would like to have a conversation with me that's entirely unrelated to the topic at hand, my PMs are open. Open Kanzenshuu discussion isn't the place to discuss something as drama-riddled and complex as the broadcast audio situation, even if it was on topic.

My intention in my message was merely to point out that while these scans do look nice, people shouldn't get too excited. Even putting aside all the drama (which is the right thing to do in a public forum, and I really shouldn't have called out anybody by name; my bad), the fact is that the people who have film of Dragon Ball and get it transferred tend not to be willing to post it online publicly, regardless of their reasons for it.
That's not a slight on anybody, it's not an insult, it's just the reality of things.

So, I'm happy to have these screenshots and the short video. It looks good. It has given me a few smiles looking at it. Expecting more is not especially realistic though. If there is more, then that will also be good, but expecting it may be setting yourself up for disappointment.
I didn't phrase this sentiment in the best way, but hopefully my intended meaning is clearer now.

Venny

Post by Venny » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:32 am

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:20 am
Pride9000!!! wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:18 am I hope the owner of this specific (DBZ movie 9) film print allows it to be released publicly. And I hope that a lot more collectors that are out there, that have this stuff come out and ask Kineko Video to scan there film. It's possible in the future that we could have a small collection of good 4K/HD content for the DB series, if more and more collectors come out and share what they have.
If collectors were interested in publicly sharing their transfers, we'd already have a lot of cool stuff, but Japanese fans in particular (i.e. the most likely fans to have prints) are very concerned about potential litigation from Toei, so in general any transfers are done privately. It's not a stretch to imagine many western fans are the same way; I know of fans who have a bunch of cool Canadian dub related things but they aren't exactly obligated to publicly share copyrighted recordings, as much as there's definitely a selfish desire among many (myself included) to see this stuff, but it's just not reasonable to expect to.

Still, anything we do see shared will be interesting to see. The owner of this print of reel 3 of this movie seems to be of a very share-y mindset, so maybe we do see the full transfer at some point. Would be very, very cool.
Venny wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:06 am I understand. I had no intention of ever starting any fight in this thread and I agree it should be free of any drama.
With respect, if you didn't want to start a fight or cause drama, bringing up the broadcast audio (about which you clearly do not know the whole story) and directing some very specific uncharitable remarks in my direction wasn't a good move. If you would like to have a conversation with me that's entirely unrelated to the topic at hand, my PMs are open. Open Kanzenshuu discussion isn't the place to discuss something as drama-riddled and complex as the broadcast audio situation, even if it was on topic.

My intention in my message was merely to point out that while these scans do look nice, people shouldn't get too excited. Even putting aside all the drama (which is the right thing to do in a public forum, and I really shouldn't have called out anybody by name; my bad), the fact is that the people who have film of Dragon Ball and get it transferred tend not to be willing to post it online publicly, regardless of their reasons for it.
That's not a slight on anybody, it's not an insult, it's just the reality of things.

So, I'm happy to have these screenshots and the short video. It looks good. It has given me a few smiles looking at it. Expecting more is not especially realistic though. If there is more, then that will also be good, but expecting it may be setting yourself up for disappointment.
I didn't phrase this sentiment in the best way, but hopefully my intended meaning is clearer now.
Apologies, the broadcast audio thing wasn't @ you. I didn't even know it had anything to do with you. It's just a general meme I was pointing at.

Inkei9001
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Inkei9001 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:47 am

Arian wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:13 am
Venny wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:28 am

By associating with clowns, Kineko Video inherently becomes a circus, I think that's what Robo is getting at.

But I'm not surprised you resort to arrogant damage control, since you're the most laughable clown in the whole show.
Big talk coming from a guy that stole over $1000 from an innocent dude. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I36 ... p=drivesdk

Oh yeah Arian isn't just someone stupid enough to give out his home address and name to people by giving them access to his account info he is also a theif. No one should trust a word this "man" says

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:45 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:20 am

Possible but I also think that if the collector's see the quality of the restoration we could see a bright future. I mean who knew we would get all of the stuff on DB in just a couple of years various findings and stuff like that (I think if the ball starts rolling it's going to be good for all of us) I'm not getting my hopes up very high but anything would be very nice to see in this kind of quality. I mean they already have a couple of episodes on OG DB that's going to be nice to see.

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:20 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:06 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:54 pm
Thanks.

I believe it's an error in the way they export files...either way it's annoying as hell.
If we're talking about DBZ Kai final chapters (it could be a export issue) that could be the case I don't know. But if we're talking about the recent releases of the movies and TV specials I don't really think that's the case. Case in points some movies have a stronger tint than the others and the tint verys some are green, some are yellow etc... https://i.imgur.com/eHw6bkA.jpg and there's a big difference between the two TV specials in terms of colour. The first has barely any tint and has some crushing of blacks while other has the green tint https://i.imgur.com/a7aJ6XD.jpg I believe all of this done as a colour grade