What Past Consequence Could The Team Wish Away With The Super DBs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

What Past Consequence Could The Team Wish Away With The Super DBs?

Post by theherodjl » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:36 pm

Say the super DBs are collected again and the Dragon Team are given the chance to undo one bad thing and the subsequent fallout that had happened to them in the past twenty-some years. What should they wish to rectify?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: What Past Consequence Could The Team Wish Away With The Super DBs?

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:10 pm

Probably bring back Trunks' original timeline.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:38 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:10 pm Probably bring back Trunks' original timeline.
The fact that no character in-universe ever brought this up implies that the Super Dragon Balls cannot affect other timelines. Which explains why each timeline has its own Super DBs. They are not above time and probably cannot affect other timelines. The Future DBs were destroyed by Black and Zamasu, so it seems like there's no way the Future timeline can ever be restored. Which is why Trunks and Mai had to go live to an alternate, alternate future timeline.

They would also have to word the wish in a very precise and careful way to avoid accidentally restoring Infinite Zamasu too.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:46 pm

A Zeno from another timeline helped his counterpart eradicate universes from the main one but the super DBs still restored those erased universes so...it may not be a matter of being unable to work on parallel timelines or acts caused by inhabitants of parallel timelines. The logistics of collecting the super DBs again to restore a timeline when they don't exactly have to is probably what's prevented them from restoring Trunks' future. He's in another timeline now so it doesn't really matter.

I honestly think they should restore Android 16 since there could have been a lot of things he could've helped and contributed to the team with. Earth and other planets have had a little bit of a technological boom since 16's destruction so he could always be upgraded in significant ways.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:59 pm

theherodjl wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:46 pm A Zeno from another timeline helped his counterpart eradicate universes from the main one but the super DBs still restored those erased universes so...it may not be a matter of being unable to work on parallel timelines or acts caused by inhabitants of parallel timelines. The logistics of collecting the super DBs again to restore a timeline when they don't exactly have to is probably what's prevented them from restoring Trunks' future. He's in another timeline now so it doesn't really matter.
Agreed.

In the anime, the Zen-Ohs stated that the Super Dragon could "Do anything. Grant anything.":

And in the manga, GP stated that "No wish is beyond Super Shenlong's power.":

Given that these accolades came from the two(or more precisely, three) most powerful/elevated characters in the whole of DB creation, they should carry quite a bit of weight, imo... And according to them, the Dragon's wish-granting abilities seem to be completely unbounded(which makes sense, given that the Dragon had no problem undoing the Zen-Ohs' erasure, and restoring all of the universes they had nullified.)

But anyway, I personally believe the Dragon *could* be used to restore Future Trunks' timeline(especially since one of the Zen-Ohs who commented on the Dragon's limitless abilities is from that timeline.) I just think the heroes simply never considered going through the trouble of collecting the Super DBs in order to restore Trunks' timeline, because it was no longer essential to the current plot(s). Right or wrong, everyone just... Moved on.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:08 pm

theherodjl wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:46 pm A Zeno from another timeline helped his counterpart eradicate universes from the main one but the super DBs still restored those erased universes so...
The universes that were erased belonged to the Present timeline. Why wouldn't the Present Super Dragon Balls restore them?
Galan007 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:59 pm
theherodjl wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:46 pm A Zeno from another timeline helped his counterpart eradicate universes from the main one but the super DBs still restored those erased universes so...it may not be a matter of being unable to work on parallel timelines or acts caused by inhabitants of parallel timelines. The logistics of collecting the super DBs again to restore a timeline when they don't exactly have to is probably what's prevented them from restoring Trunks' future. He's in another timeline now so it doesn't really matter.
Agreed.

In the anime, the Zen-Ohs stated that the Super Dragon could "Do anything. Grant anything.":

And in the manga, GP stated that "No wish is beyond Super Shenlong's power.":

Given that these accolades came from the two(or more precisely, three) most powerful/elevated characters in the whole of DB creation, they should carry quite a bit of weight, imo... And according to them, the Dragon's wish-granting abilities seem to be completely unbounded(which makes sense, given that the Dragon had no problem undoing the Zen-Ohs' erasure, and restoring all of the universes they had nullified.)

But anyway, I personally believe the Dragon *could* be used to restore Future Trunks' timeline(especially since one of the Zen-Ohs who commented on the Dragon's limitless abilities is from that timeline.) I just think the heroes simply never considered going through the trouble of collecting the Super DBs in order to restore Trunks' timeline, because it was no longer essential to the current plot(s). Right or wrong, everyone just... Moved on.
Zeno also erased Infinite Zamasu, who was granted immortality by the Super Dragon Balls, so it's not exactly clear which is greater between Zeno and the Super DBs.

I don't deny that the Super DBs carry weight, but at the same time, I doubt that they can literally grant "anything" imaginable. It's just hyperbole. Otherwise, it would be stupid of Zeno/Zalama/Grand Priest to just allow these orbs to exist (if they can grant anything, then an evildoer could just wish to erase Zeno/the Grand Priest and the whole Cosmos would be thrown in chaos...).

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:21 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:08 pm Zeno also erased Infinite Zamasu, who was granted immortality by the Super Dragon Balls, so it's not exactly clear which is greater between Zeno and the Super DBs.
True. But then we saw the Dragon undo Zen-Oh's erasures on a trans-universal scale.

Begs the question: what would've happened if Zamasu's wish had been more "Zen-Oh specific"(ie. "Make me immune to ALL forms of death/erasure in the multiverse!! Even Zen-Oh's!!")... Would Zen-Oh have still been able to destroy him, or would Zamasu have been unfazed? After all , it seemed like Zamasu never really accounted for Zen-Oh himself directly intervening(Goku's plot-devicey hijinks are what made that possible), so he naturally would have assumed a generic "immortality" wish would have been enough. But perhaps when it comes to Zen-Oh's power, you have to be more precise with your wish..? Because clearly it is within the Dragon's power to restore anything that Zen-Oh has erased, so why couldn't it also protect/shield you from said erasure in the first place?
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:08 pm I don't deny that the Super DBs carry weight, but at the same time, I doubt that they can literally grant "anything" imaginable. It's just hyperbole. Otherwise, it would be stupid of Zeno/Zalama/Grand Priest to just allow these orbs to exist (if they can grant anything, then an evildoer could just wish to erase Zeno/the Grand Priest and the whole Cosmos would be thrown in chaos...).
But at the same time, we have the absolute top beings in the DB hierarchy saying the exact same thing about the Dragon: that it can literally grant any wish imaginable. So unless we have a legitimate reason to doubt the validity of their statements, then I see no reason to apply any hard limits to the Dragon's wish-granting abilities... Especially if it just involves restoring one defunct timeline. /shrug

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:17 pm

Galan007 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:21 pm Begs the question: what would've happened if Zamasu's wish had been more "Zen-Oh specific"(ie. "Make me immune to ALL forms of death/erasure in the multiverse!! Even Zen-Oh's!!")... Would Zen-Oh have still been able to destroy him, or would Zamasu have been unfazed? After all , it seemed like Zamasu never really accounted for Zen-Oh himself directly intervening(Goku's plot-devicey hijinks are what made that possible), so he naturally would have assumed a generic "immortality" wish would have been enough. But perhaps when it comes to Zen-Oh's power, you have to be more precise with your wish..? Because clearly it is within the Dragon's power to restore anything that Zen-Oh has erased, so why couldn't it also protect/shield you from said erasure in the first place?
Zamasu actually had a backup plan in case Zeno got involved. It is mentioned in the manga. He was going to run and hide in another planet and wait for Zeno to calm down. In the manga, when Infinite Zamasu sees Zeno, he flees in terror. In the anime, he didn't care, but at that point he had lost all his sanity.

So it seems that Zamasu always knew his immortality somehow couldn't protect him from Zeno.

We can wonder what would have happened if he worded his wish in such a way as to address Zeno's Erase technique, but the fact that the story never brings this up as a possibility indicates the writers' stance on this. Or maybe the writers never thought about it. Either way we can only speculate on what would have happened if Zamasu specifically said "make me completely immortal so that not even Zeno can affect me".

Ofc it is also possible that Zamasu was never erased and will return in a future arc (which has been a popular fan theory for years). We'll see.
But at the same time, we have the absolute top beings in the DB hierarchy saying the exact same thing about the Dragon: that it can literally grant any wish imaginable. So unless we have a legitimate reason to doubt the validity of their statements, then I see no reason to apply any hard limits to the Dragon's wish-granting abilities... Especially if it just involves restoring one defunct timeline. /shrug
I cannot deny that Zeno and the Grand Priest said this. At the same time, I'm willing to bet that, if they actually tried to wish to restore Future Trunks timeline, the dragon would probably say that he cannot affect other timelines.

It is important to remember that each timeline is a pocket dimensions separated and isolated from another. All the rifts made between the two timelines (the rifts made by Trunks' time machine, Black's time ring, Infinite Zamasu's energy) have been closed permanently.

It's a matter of whether Super Shenron's power can somehow find a way to reach the Future timeline and affect it.

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:24 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:17 pm We can wonder what would have happened if he worded his wish in such a way as to address Zeno's Erase technique, but the fact that the story never brings this up as a possibility indicates the writers' stance on this. Or maybe the writers never thought about it. Either way we can only speculate on what would have happened if Zamasu specifically said "make me completely immortal so that not even Zeno can affect me".
We kind of do know the [out of universe] answer, though: Zen-Oh was simply a plot-device that was used to step in and destroy Zamasu. Without said intervention, Zamasu likely would have never been stopped... Likewise, the Dragon was also used as a plot-device to undo all of Zen-Oh's erasures.

Although I still do wonder how things would have turned out, if Zamasu's immortality wish had been more specific about protecting him from Zen-Oh..? But that's neither here nor there. /shrug
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:17 pm I cannot deny that Zeno and the Grand Priest said this. At the same time, I'm willing to bet that, if they actually tried to wish to restore Future Trunks timeline, the dragon would probably say that he cannot affect other timelines.

It is important to remember that each timeline is a pocket dimensions separated and isolated from another. All the rifts made between the two timelines (the rifts made by Trunks' time machine, Black's time ring, Infinite Zamasu's energy) have been closed permanently.

It's a matter of whether Super Shenron's power can somehow find a way to reach the Future timeline and affect it.
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

But as mentioned: from my perspective, it doesn't exactly make sense to place hard limitations on the Dragon's wish-granting abilities, when it has yet to show(or been implied to have) any -- especially when the top two/three characters in DB-lore explicitly indicated that its power is completely unbounded.

Personally, I think the Dragon would have no issue restoring Future Trunks' timeline... But like you mentioned earlier: the wish would have to be very precise and well-worded, in order to prevent inadvertently restoring Zamasu.