Dragon Ball GT Worth buying? Green/neon bricks

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyanLives

Dragon Ball GT Worth buying? Green/neon bricks

Post by SaiyanLives » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:30 pm

Hey guys

I have been collecting dragon ball z and super blu rays since i love the show since i was a kid now I'm 35 lol anyways
I'm still missing GT the only one available to order is the complete series neon/green brick version...
Is the show worth buying tho?
Its worth a watch as well?

But its dvd i guess since theres no blu ray i got no choice?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball GT Worth buying? Green/neon bricks

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:46 pm

Yes, it is.

I'm talking about GT, though, I have no idea how good those versions you mentioned are. But the show itself is more than watchable, it has some issues here and there, but it's definitely enjoyable. Go for it.

You've never watched GT? even better, just give it a go and don't mind what others might say, that's why I'm only saying: buy it, watch it.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:52 pm

GT is absurdly cheap (usually $35-40 for the double-pack, and usually $25-30 for the two parts individually if you can't get the double-pack), and those green brick sets are... well, they're fine. They have English-only title cards, and I want to say they're slightly smoothed compared to the old single discs (but have better compression overall), and they have the standard three audio tracks (JP, EN + replacement music, EN + original score) compared to the original two (no EN + original score on the single discs).

It's 64 episodes and a special, and if you're already deep down the rabbit hole of collecting home video releases, might as well just snatch it up! It's also streaming on Hulu and Crunchyroll, though, so if you think it's just going to be a casual viewing for you, maybe check it out there and consider a purchase later down the line if you think you want to own it.

I think it's worth watching and has its own merits and important place in Dragon Ball history. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SaiyanLives

Post by SaiyanLives » Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:44 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:52 pm GT is absurdly cheap (usually $35-40 for the double-pack, and usually $25-30 for the two parts individually if you can't get the double-pack), and those green brick sets are... well, they're fine. They have English-only title cards, and I want to say they're slightly smoothed compared to the old single discs (but have better compression overall), and they have the standard three audio tracks (JP, EN + replacement music, EN + original score) compared to the original two (no EN + original score on the single discs).

It's 64 episodes and a special, and if you're already deep down the rabbit hole of collecting home video releases, might as well just snatch it up! It's also streaming on Hulu and Crunchyroll, though, so if you think it's just going to be a casual viewing for you, maybe check it out there and consider a purchase later down the line if you think you want to own it.

I think it's worth watching and has its own merits and important place in Dragon Ball history. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unfortantly its not on crunchyroll yet for me (eu) , I've only seen the first arc i stopped gt right before baby, looong ago dont even remember it tbh

But idk should i get GT first or grab a couple Z movies?
I also need those still those are blu rays i cant buy it all at once lol too pricey i usually buy a couple (blu rays) a month

But yeah stuck on what my purchase this month will be lol GT or couple Z movies hmm

Either way having fun collecting and rewatching all these :)

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:04 pm

Yes you should totally get it, otherwise your collection will be incomplete and you won't have access to the complete DB Saga.

I can relate to cristians when they say we can't just cherry pick parts of the bible, to me there is no reason to even doubt it.

At least in DBGT Toriyama was still involved in character design and mayor things and still respecting the time line (not like Super did)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:24 am

Zavvi has Manga UK's GT Complete Series for £24.99, which is a steal for 64 episodes and a special. From what I've seen in videos this DVD set also fixed the packaging issue with the UK individual seasons where discs are stacked over one another as each disc has its own tray.

I don't think it's likely GT will get a Blu-Ray release soon, maybe in Spain as Selecta Vision's plans were to remaster the entire series, but in terms of English-speaking territories I think it could still be a while off. Crunchyroll's current physical prices are also outrageous. GT is very inexpensive now so it wouldn't hurt to buy it, watch it and show the demand is there for more releases of the series.

Whether you want to get GT or the Z movies is entirely up to you. Both are fun what-if stories with beautiful scores and animation.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SaiyanLives

Post by SaiyanLives » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:12 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:24 am Zavvi has Manga UK's GT Complete Series for £24.99, which is a steal for 64 episodes and a special. From what I've seen in videos this DVD set also fixed the packaging issue with the UK individual seasons where discs are stacked over one another as each disc has its own tray.

I don't think it's likely GT will get a Blu-Ray release soon, maybe in Spain as Selecta Vision's plans were to remaster the entire series, but in terms of English-speaking territories I think it could still be a while off. Crunchyroll's current physical prices are also outrageous. GT is very inexpensive now so it wouldn't hurt to buy it, watch it and show the demand is there for more releases of the series.

Whether you want to get GT or the Z movies is entirely up to you. Both are fun what-if stories with beautiful scores and animation.
Hmm thanks yea i think ill pick it up then

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:52 am

Well if you're a collectionist the collection won't be full without a GT, will it?
As for the fact, is it worth a watch, you'll get various answers depending where you ask. GT does get a lot of hate but there are also fans of it.
Besides Super also get a lot of hate and even DBZ is unliked by some, so you'll just have to form your own opinion.

Out of curiosity do you own original Dragon Ball?

SaiyanLives

Post by SaiyanLives » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:18 am

GokuHater wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:52 am Well if you're a collectionist the collection won't be full without a GT, will it?
As for the fact, is it worth a watch, you'll get various answers depending where you ask. GT does get a lot of hate but there are also fans of it.
Besides Super also get a lot of hate and even DBZ is unliked by some, so you'll just have to form your own opinion.

Not yet i recently started collecting them i just got Z and super atm wanted to do gt next then dragonball and then the movies,I'm pretty poor so i have to get them slowly lol for this month i was thinking of picking up GT and super broly movie,

I stayed away from gt cuz of the hate and the first 10 episodes i watched back when i was a kid was very boring but now I'm 35 and appreciate things differently that i think i would like gt its just more dragon ball to me and more is always good? Lol
Anyway i think i will order it

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:46 am

SaiyanLives wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:18 am
GokuHater wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:52 am Well if you're a collectionist the collection won't be full without a GT, will it?

Not yet i recently started collecting them i just got Z and super atm wanted to do gt next then dragonball and then the movies,I'm pretty poor so i have to get them slowly lol for this month i was thinking of picking up GT and super broly movie,

I stayed away from gt cuz of the hate and the first 10 episodes i watched back when i was a kid was very boring but now I'm 35 and appreciate things differently that i think i would like gt its just more dragon ball to me and more is always good? Lol
It is a pretty inexpensive release. And, the green bricks have the option to listen to the dub with the original score, so that's good. The GT rap doesn't find its way on this, so temper your expectations if you were into that. No Japanese title cards or next episode previews, so if those things are nake-or-break for you, it's something to consider.

Overall, I think the negatives are minor. The positives are that this was much better done than the orange bricks, it's the entire series and TV special in a neat little package, it's in 4:3 (something that I shouldn't have to say as if it's a big deal, but here we are). So, yeah.

If you want the boxed sets, they come with about 3 episodes each, are close to Dragon Box quality (except for the heavy compression), have the original title cards and next episode previews, and are missing the dub with Japanese BGM. But, if you'd prefer these, you can find them for about $25-35 per box on eBay, 4 boxes in total.

Or, you can get it after Dragon Ball, which I think I'd go for next, to be honest. It is more expensive, but you plan on getting it anyway, right?

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:11 pm

SaiyanLives wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:18 am

Boy, you're missing on a loooot then :D
Off course it's my opinion but the enirety of Dragon Ball is to me a better and more enjoyable series than DBS, DBGT and the movies :P

But to each their own off course. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't mind the movies, they're really not that big of a deal and are basically a summaries of said DBZ arcs with different villains.

The only ones one should care about according to me would be Dead Zone, Broly, Janemba, movie 13 and the recent movies.
The TV specials are ok tho :)

Off course if you're a collectionist you will finally get them all but imo getting DB before GT would be a good idea, the movies at the very end.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:39 pm

SaiyanLives wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:44 pm But idk should i get GT first or grab a couple Z movies?
GT has a pretty big nostalgic taste, so for that flavor to flare up as much as possible, I'd recommend exhausting every Z product before jumping onto GT.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:57 pm

About release - much better than DBZ orange bricks and you have 4:3 video instead of cropped 16:9

About show itself - Yes it's worth watching although i beg you to watch it in original japanese version even if you're fan of english dub. GT dub was terrible and i'm not talking just about music (which can be switched to original if you buy these)
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

SaiyanLives

Post by SaiyanLives » Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:41 am

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:39 pm
SaiyanLives wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:44 pm But idk should i get GT first or grab a couple Z movies?
GT has a pretty big nostalgic taste, so for that flavor to flare up as much as possible, I'd recommend exhausting every Z product before jumping onto GT.
Hmm I'm still missing Z"s movies should i pick that up first to complete Z.. and then jump over to GT?
Seems like good idea
Or get gt first so i have all the tv shows (exept db wil get it later) and movies last?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:26 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:57 pmAbout show itself - Yes it's worth watching although i beg you to watch it in original japanese version even if you're fan of english dub. GT dub was terrible and i'm not talking just about music (which can be switched to original if you buy these)
It's a shame Bridge Entertainment never got around to releasing Dutch DVDs for GT because the Blue Water dub, which uses the original Japanese music, has more accurate scripts and is generally a better product than Funimation's dub aired in the Netherlands in the early 2000s.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:57 am

Hulu has the show in Japanese with subtitles and Crunchyroll has the dub and sub. Just stream it before you decide if you actually want to own it.