How'd you bring back legacy characters without a power up?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

How'd you bring back legacy characters without a power up?

Post by Wrigglything » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:23 am

This is something that, if it were to bring back old characters, I would be interested in seeing.

Maybe they can have them have some sort of connection to the villain or antagonist of the arc in some way, through some sort of personal reason whether serious or silly.

They can also just have them explore and reopen some left open plot threads. I'd like for them to conclude Yamcha's overconfidence issue to a satisfying arc, for instance, and to give Chiaotzu a personality I can actually give him. That would at least be refreshing for me.

But maybe this shouldn't have been the problem in the first place, or by doing this it further alienates newer fans and viewers from checking out the franchise? These are things I'd like to know from you guys.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Re: How'd you bring back legacy characters without a power up?

Post by super michael » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:57 am

If they wanted to return old characters, they should have done things that made their power up look believable, such as these an example:
  • A new type of training never seen before, a extreme training that pushes one to their limit in both body and mind
  • A already existing type of training proven to be hard and effective, such as the ROSAT, Gravity Chamber and Whis Staff
  • Training with powerful and skillful masters, such as Whis, Beerus, Yardrats or others unknown. Maybe learn God Ki.
  • Discovered an ancient type of technique, which results in power moves with different effects
Instead we got these type of training:
  • Freeza beating a weakling for 4 months and nothing else.
  • Krillin gym training.
  • Tenshinhan training with weakling.
  • Master Roshi doing pervert training and secret training.
  • C17 beating up weak poachers
  • Buu training with Mr Satan
All those training wouldn't make these fighters exhausted or tired in anyway. In DB we saw Goku and Krillin being pushed to their limit and when they got stronger their weight increased to make them exhausted to continue making gains.

In DB the fighters training continued to changed and evolve, such as from Master Roshi training, Korin training, Mr Popo and Kami training and Kaio training (the last hard training the humans did). After that the humans didn't dare do the same training as Goku and didn't dare train with Goku at all. The humans didn't dare use the ROSAT or the Gravity Chamber.

Honestly the humans shouldn't have returned to fight in DBS. They retired from fighting after Cell defeat.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: How'd you bring back legacy characters without a power up?

Post by Peach » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:14 am

I would love to see Oolong involved in some covert mission. Where he's impersonating someone super powerful and if he transforms back to his normal form, he knows he's dead. So he struggles to not de-transform..

Maybe he's infiltrating the Frieza Force or the ranks of a new team of villains and is essential to the plan succeeding.