Gine Appreciation Thread.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Toxin45
Regular

Re: Gine Appreciation Thread.

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:16 pm

I like gine

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:55 pm

Just to be clear, the reason I brought up the idea that Gine apparently lied to Raditz is because we know from the Broly movie that she told Raditz about sending Kakarott to Earth, but since Raditz assumed he was sent on a routine Saiyan mission, that implied that Gine lied, or at the very least, neglected to tell him the truth. I’m just not sure why she wouldn’t tell him the truth. If she and Bardock believe Freeza wants to kill all the Saiyans, wouldn’t they want to give their other son the heads up on that?

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:43 am

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:55 pm Just to be clear, the reason I brought up the idea that Gine apparently lied to Raditz is because we know from the Broly movie that she told Raditz about sending Kakarott to Earth, but since Raditz assumed he was sent on a routine Saiyan mission, that implied that Gine lied, or at the very least, neglected to tell him the truth.

Yeah I believe that is exactly the same thing you had said and that I paraphrased.

What’s still unclear is why you jumped on disagreeing with your own suggestion after I went with it, maybe clarify that part?

To me it simply makes sense she lied given Raditz' line in the Broly movie, and cus that would explain Raditz and Vegeta being that convinced on a certain narrative.
I don’t know why you need to dig for more reasons or why you're blatantly reject that idea.

Like, it’s unclear either way so you can view it either way.

I’m just not sure why she wouldn’t tell him the truth.
That's pretty wild cause I said exactly why she wouldn't tell him the truth in at least several different posts.

But let me try again.

She would lie because it would be better to tell Raditz something that does not sound out of the ordinary; to not risk Vegeta (who would likely hear it from Raditz) telling Frieza about it.
Which would risk either sabotaging Goku's freedom in the case she died and wouldn't be able to get him back, or if she did survive and went to get Goku back she would risk being tracked and asked where and why they left in the first place and make Frieza suspicious about them or Goku.

And not saying anything at all risks Raditz coming back before Gine has the chance to get Goku back and ask either way.

If she and Bardock believe Freeza wants to kill all the Saiyans, wouldn’t they want to give their other son the heads up on that?
If you're saying her not gving a heads up to Raditz means she didn't expect the threat to affect Raditz, that just all the more reason she'd lie, wouldn’t want to leave him with risky info

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:41 pm

dva_raza wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:43 am
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:55 pm Just to be clear, the reason I brought up the idea that Gine apparently lied to Raditz is because we know from the Broly movie that she told Raditz about sending Kakarott to Earth, but since Raditz assumed he was sent on a routine Saiyan mission, that implied that Gine lied, or at the very least, neglected to tell him the truth.

Yeah I believe that is exactly the same thing you had said and that I paraphrased.

What’s still unclear is why you jumped on disagreeing with your own suggestion after I went with it, maybe clarify that part?

To me it simply makes sense she lied given Raditz' line in the Broly movie, and cus that would explain Raditz and Vegeta being that convinced on a certain narrative.
I don’t know why you need to dig for more reasons or why you're blatantly reject that idea.

Like, it’s unclear either way so you can view it either way.

I’m just not sure why she wouldn’t tell him the truth.
That's pretty wild cause I said exactly why she wouldn't tell him the truth in at least several different posts.

But let me try again.

She would lie because it would be better to tell Raditz something that does not sound out of the ordinary; to not risk Vegeta (who would likely hear it from Raditz) telling Frieza about it.
Which would risk either sabotaging Goku's freedom in the case she died and wouldn't be able to get him back, or if she did survive and went to get Goku back she would risk being tracked and asked where and why they left in the first place and make Frieza suspicious about them or Goku.

And not saying anything at all risks Raditz coming back before Gine has the chance to get Goku back and ask either way.

If she and Bardock believe Freeza wants to kill all the Saiyans, wouldn’t they want to give their other son the heads up on that?
If you're saying her not gving a heads up to Raditz means she didn't expect the threat to affect Raditz, that just all the more reason she'd lie, wouldn’t want to leave him with risky info
I have no idea what you’re talking about. When did I “disagree with my own suggestion?” I was saying that I don’t understand why Gine wouldn’t tell Raditz the truth. If she and Bardock believe that Freeza wants all Saiyans dead, why wouldnt they try to warn Raditz about that?

By not telling Raditz the truth, not only is Gine risking his own safety, but she’s also risking the possibility that he would go to Earth to recruit Kakarott into also working for Freeza, which is what ultimately led to them killing each other in the series proper.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:29 pm

Gine is barely a character. She's a glorified prop in my opinion. Not to mention if you take the tidbits Toriyama provided about Gine there are quite a few unfortunate implications to unpack with her.

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:21 pm

I don't know how scouters work, I guess they are default on a shared frequency. And its likely there is no alternative because Freeza wouldn't want any back talk or planning going on behind his back. This is just an assumption. So to me even if Gine wanted to tell her son about the impending doom, how much could she say without everyone else hearing it?

At the same time perhaps there are other frequencies because the alternative is everyone having to hear everyone else's chatter 24/7. That would suck a lot, but I guess when you are an enslaved race of barbarian monkey warriors, it would just be another discomfort to get used to.

Or perhaps maybe all of the communications are secretly monitored. In the Broly movie we saw Bardock tell the other saiyan to watch his mouth while the scouter was on.

Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:29 pm Gine is barely a character. She's a glorified prop in my opinion. Not to mention if you take the tidbits Toriyama provided about Gine there are quite a few unfortunate implications to unpack with her.
What are those implications?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:19 pm

Peril wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:21 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:29 pm Gine is barely a character. She's a glorified prop in my opinion. Not to mention if you take the tidbits Toriyama provided about Gine there are quite a few unfortunate implications to unpack with her.
What are those implications?
That she embodied the "damsel in distress" trope even as a space pirate. Then she just quits being a space pirate as she wasn't cut out for fighting, and basically becomes a lunch lady. And she was the only female member of Bardock's team and the only person to go through this transition in Bardcok's team

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:41 pm

when it comes to being a female in dragon ball. The word "unfortunate implication" is pre stamped on before they even exist.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:40 pm

Peril wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:41 pm when it comes to being a female in dragon ball. The word "unfortunate implication" is pre stamped on before they even exist.
Kale and Caulifa are relatively fine, fans just don't seem to like them because uhhh reasons.

Aside from that glaring problem in Resurrection F, 18 also gets off mostly okay depending on how you feel about the "Nice Guy rewarded with hot wife" trope and whether Dragon Ball falls into that with Krillin and 18 or not.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:02 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:40 pm
Peril wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:41 pm when it comes to being a female in dragon ball. The word "unfortunate implication" is pre stamped on before they even exist.
Kale and Caulifa are relatively fine, fans just don't seem to like them because uhhh reasons.

Aside from that glaring problem in Resurrection F, 18 also gets off mostly okay depending on how you feel about the "Nice Guy rewarded with hot wife" trope and whether Dragon Ball falls into that with Krillin and 18 or not.
They hate them because they're girls, they're dating each other and they don't worship the male characters (or Gokuu). :p
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:34 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:40 pm

I'm mostly okay with Krillin and 18 despite my belief that 18 is Krillin's trophy wife bestowed upon him by Toriyama. I don't dislike Krillin enough to say "he doesn't deserver her rawr". If anything, 18 makes him a better person, they clearly adore each other etc. Also I think 18 is kinda bad with money. She seems to always need more of it, probably a shop-a-holic, so poor Krillin also has to deal with his wife's flaws.

Kale and Caulifla. There are valid reasons to dislike them. But the problem is nobody talks that same dislike about Cabba.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:48 pm

Peril wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:21 pm I don't know how scouters work, I guess they are default on a shared frequency. And its likely there is no alternative because Freeza wouldn't want any back talk or planning going on behind his back. This is just an assumption. So to me even if Gine wanted to tell her son about the impending doom, how much could she say without everyone else hearing it?

At the same time perhaps there are other frequencies because the alternative is everyone having to hear everyone else's chatter 24/7. That would suck a lot, but I guess when you are an enslaved race of barbarian monkey warriors, it would just be another discomfort to get used to.

Or perhaps maybe all of the communications are secretly monitored. In the Broly movie we saw Bardock tell the other saiyan to watch his mouth while the scouter was on.
Perhaps, but if we assume that all communications involving scouters are monitored by Freeza, then wouldn’t Gine still risk Freeza knowing of Goku’s whereabouts by telling Raditz where he is?

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:05 am

If I were Gine I'd probably think "Hmm well I don't want Freeza to know that we sent our son to a backwater to save his life from impending genocide." Without omniscience, her best bet is to lie or tell a half truth, just enough so Raditz knows where to look but also so that Freeza doesn't know her true motive. I say that because Freeza did an outstandingly sloppy job at killing all of the Saiyans. I wouldn't be angry if it turns out a few hundred of them actually survived.

Afterwards he didn't finish the job by killing Vegeta, Nappa, or Raditz. So he seemed more worried about their numbers leading to a sort of slave rebellion. If it was really about killing the possibility of the Legendary Super Saiyan he would have been more thorough. But alas, Gine would never have known this. No matter what she risked a lot contacting Raditz.

Then of course we get the fanfiction-tier retcon with Beerus being the reason he did it....but I won't get into that here.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:29 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:41 pm I have no idea what you’re talking about. When did I “disagree with my own suggestion?”

Are you okay? When you said GINE APPARENTLY LIED TO RADITZ and then proceeded to argue against me rationalizing the possibility.

WTF.

I’m the one who has no idea what you’re talking about dude.

I was saying that I don’t understand why Gine wouldn’t tell Raditz the truth. If she and Bardock believe that Freeza wants all Saiyans dead, why wouldnt they try to warn Raditz about that?

Whether she knew the hunch was regarding them all is not a question. And once again, what you are saying right now is implying that Gine then DIDN’T fear that they were all under Frieza’s threat. Ok.. but you know for a fact the she did... so like..? lol I just can’t find the sense in whatever the fuck you’re trying to reach for with that point.

Why she didn’t prevent Raditz too? I dunno I guess for the exact same reason she did not literally RUN her own life either? That she didnt know anything for a fact. It was a hunch. They simply took a precaution with the priority, which is the baby, but I think it's clear neither her or Bardock actually assimilated the hunch as something that was definitely their end.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:04 pm

dva_raza wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:29 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:41 pm I have no idea what you’re talking about. When did I “disagree with my own suggestion?”

Are you okay? When you said GINE APPARENTLY LIED TO RADITZ and then proceeded to argue against me rationalizing the possibility.

WTF.

I’m the one who has no idea what you’re talking about dude.

I was saying that I don’t understand why Gine wouldn’t tell Raditz the truth. If she and Bardock believe that Freeza wants all Saiyans dead, why wouldnt they try to warn Raditz about that?

Whether she knew the hunch was regarding them all is not a question. And once again, what you are saying right now is implying that Gine then DIDN’T fear that they were all under Frieza’s threat. Ok.. but you know for a fact the she did... so like..? lol I just can’t find the sense in whatever the fuck you’re trying to reach for with that point.

Why she didn’t prevent Raditz too? I dunno I guess for the exact same reason she did not literally RUN her own life either? That she didnt know anything for a fact. It was a hunch. They simply took a precaution with the priority, which is the baby, but I think it's clear neither her or Bardock actually assimilated the hunch as something that was definitely their end.
What? I said I didn’t understand why Gine would’ve lied to Raditz, and I didn’t buy your explanation. How exactly is this complicated? I never claimed that Gine didn’t fear they were under Freeza’s threat. I specifically said that since they feared they were under Freeza’s threat, that seems like something they’d want to warn Raditz about. Seriously, you’re accusing me of saying things I never said.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:48 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:04 pmHow exactly is this complicated?
You affirming that she lied and then saying “but that couldn’t be” ? :crazy:

I never claimed that Gine didn’t fear they were under Freeza’s threat. I specifically said that since they feared they were under Freeza’s threat, that seems like something they’d want to warn Raditz about. Seriously, you’re accusing me of saying things I never said.

I’m not accusing you of anything. You just phrase things in a very weird way and then act like I’m the one being incoherent.
If your question is “Why didn’t Gine prevent her other son too”, maybe say that, instead of “I don’t see why she would lie about her motive to send Goku off"?

And I didn't say you claimed Gine didn't know the threat was for them all. I said the exact opposite. Seriously ..wtf.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:55 pm

Raza, I think you need to read what people are writing here more clearly.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:59 pm

dva_raza wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:48 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:04 pmHow exactly is this complicated?
You affirming that she lied and then saying “but that couldn’t be” ? :crazy:
Actually, I was saying that she apparently lied to Raditz, or at least neglected to tell him the whole story, and that I didn’t understand why she did so. I’m really not sure what’s so confusing or incoherent about that.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:42 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:55 pm Raza, I think you need to read what people are writing here more clearly.
Please point specifically what you believe I didn't read clearly enough.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:48 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:59 pm Actually, I was saying that she apparently lied to Raditz
Which is actually exactly what I said.
dva_raza wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:29 pm When you said GINE APPARENTLY LIED TO RADITZ and then proceeded to argue against me rationalizing the possibility.

You had said that (what literally happened) which is Gine sending Goku for safety, raises the question of why she apparenly lied to Raditz.

I responded to that.

The only thing that's confusing is you saying you "don't know what I'm talking about".