"Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raki
I Live Here

Re: A new Budokai Tenkaichi has been announced

Post by Raki » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:09 pm

This is extremely good news. The BT series was always my favorite.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:09 pm

I feel like every Dragon Ball video game content creator just woke up from a looong slumber. Lately a lot of them have been covering mods of Tenkaichi 3, so announcing this new game feels very appropriate. :lol:

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:14 pm

I'm excited, honestly I am excited for anything new fighting-ish. I wonder when we'll hear more.

I guess that weirdo on Twitter that kept saying they were making a new BT for 6 years can finally pretend he was "in the know" :lol:
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:15 pm

I know they're doing it for hype reasons but I hope they ditch the Budokai Tenkaichi branding for the final release. Pick a name, call it that in all regions... I think they have to for online purposes.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:18 pm

danyq94 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:23 pm Image

Goku Blue on... Namek?
Moro arc in Tenkaichi 4? :think: :think:
If it were the Moro arc, Goku would be wearing the Galactic Patrol insignia and a different belt.
Last edited by UpFromTheSkies on Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:19 pm

I'm surpised that we are getting a new Sparking game. A sequel to Figtherz would have seem like the next big choice.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:28 pm

Lance Freeman wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:15 pm I know they're doing it for hype reasons but I hope they ditch the Budokai Tenkaichi branding for the final release. Pick a name, call it that in all regions... I think they have to for online purposes.
It looks like they've already made their mind up since there's two versions of the trailer, one for each of the two names. Kind of a weird thing to do in 2023, but now Bandai Namco is bound by the decisions made by Infogrames/Atari 20 years ago. Like it or not, the "Budokai Tenkaichi" title has such a strong association with fans of the game in the west that it absolutely will make the difference in sales as opposed to whatever "Sparking! Subtitle" they choose to use for the Japan release since most westerners probably don't even know the it by the other name.

Also... I bet this will be a Switch 2 launch title, if it's truly happening next year.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:44 pm

Hope this comes out on the Switch and it certainly most likely will.
The world is your's.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:49 pm

¡SÍ! ¡SÍ! ¡SÍ!

Can't wait to get it and play it with my older brother like the good ol' times.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:53 pm

I was watching the stream and got speechless. When they started showing Tenkaichi games i was expecting a remaster, not this. And by no means something looking this good. Those graphics are on par with DBFZ. I'm curious to see the which team is behind this game, because I doubt ASW is doing any other DB game besides the DBFZ saga.

Love they are using DBS Broly color palette. It's the best one from Super.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:53 pm

Holy shit!

Glad they’re switching the projects up and not going the obvious route.. DID NOT expect them to resurrect the Sparking series though..

Wonder if Spike is gonna take a page from Arcs’ book and actually give an honest stab at the game being competitive.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:39 pm

WOW. MIND BLOWN! I grew up playing the Budokai Tenkaichi games, starting with the first game back in '05 when I was 8, and so on with the sequels. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing Bandai needed to announce to get hype back in Dragon Ball games. For those of you younger fans who grew up on Xenoverse and want a third one, I'm sorry, but to me, Xenoverse had its time. And it's just a lesser watered down version of Dragon Ball Online anyway, which I would rather play. Especially with how much they've kept that game on life support more than it needed. Xenoverse 3 should've came out already. Hell, a kid who was 6 when Xenoverse 2 came out is now 13 years old.

Honestly though, I don't care for Xenoverse so this news is welcome. I guess Bandai is seeing how much staying power Tenkaichi 3 has had over the years. Between this and the One Piece x Toriko x DBZ crossover getting dubbed, the future is looking bright for unexpected things to happen in the franchise. I actually downloaded Team BT4's Tenkaichi 4 MOD and enjoyed the hell out of it, but nonetheless, it was a mod and not the real thing. And now, with the real announcement, the mod is sadly going to lose its relevance (despite me still loving it as a reflection of the old PS2 days).

Man, I feel like a kid again, which is nice to say when I turn 26 in a few weeks! I can only imagine how my old elementary-high school friends feel about this!!!

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:53 pm

Yes. Thanks. Please. Back to the fucking roots.

I cannot stand one more second faking enthusiasm and pretending to enjoy that god awful series called Xenoverse. Enough is enough, I just hope we get THE roster here, manga characters, more GT characters, Dragon Ball characters.

And thank god it's not XV3 being announced, I'll be honest, for all that I wanted that game to come out, I'm pretty sure it that game actually came out, it'd have been just as disappointing as its predecessors.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:00 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:53 pm Yes. Thanks. Please. Back to the fucking roots.

I cannot stand one more second faking enthusiasm and pretending to enjoy that god awful series called Xenoverse. Enough is enough, I just hope we get THE roster here, manga characters, more GT characters, Dragon Ball characters.

And thank god it's not XV3 being announced, I'll be honest, for all that I wanted that game to come out, I'm pretty sure it that game actually came out, it'd have been just as disappointing as its predecessors.
Agreed. This is what the fans want and the franchise needs. And I'm not gonna' lie, when they showed old/classic Tenkaichi game footage in the trailer, I kind of got emotional. It reminded me of the PS2 days, which is now three generations old. It's also a reminder of where I was in life when the original games released (which was in elementary school in the 2000s) and where I am now (full grown adult in the 2020s), if that makes sense. Another thing I felt is a rush of nostalgia, which is something I'm feeling a lot these days (like when No Way Home came out, having grown up on Tobey's movies).

This getting older thing is wild. Now, I know how older generations feel having things they love make comebacks. Between this game, Spider-Man 2 PS5, and Kingdom Hearts 4, my childhood lives!!! I hope Hironobu Kageyama comes back for the theme song!

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:11 am

All of those "Tenkaichi 4" BT3 mod videos on YouTube are about to see an explosion in views :lol:

I hope this game will include 2v2, I really enjoyed Tag Team on the PSP. Multiple fighters really adds a lot of fun to these "arena fighters".

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:26 am

I am hopeful that this game will fully feature DBS content and story from the get-go, either by including all the anime sagas in story mode or having a non-create-a-character original story. Also the visual looked great!

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:32 am

Hell yes! Just give me more Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT characters and I'm game.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:55 am

Thanos wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:28 pm
Lance Freeman wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:15 pm I know they're doing it for hype reasons but I hope they ditch the Budokai Tenkaichi branding for the final release. Pick a name, call it that in all regions... I think they have to for online purposes.
It looks like they've already made their mind up since there's two versions of the trailer, one for each of the two names. Kind of a weird thing to do in 2023, but now Bandai Namco is bound by the decisions made by Infogrames/Atari 20 years ago. Like it or not, the "Budokai Tenkaichi" title has such a strong association with fans of the game in the west that it absolutely will make the difference in sales as opposed to whatever "Sparking! Subtitle" they choose to use for the Japan release since most westerners probably don't even know the it by the other name.

Also... I bet this will be a Switch 2 launch title, if it's truly happening next year.
If it is I hope the switch 2 gives us the full motion control experience and no I’m not talking about this game I mean updating the joy cons making them more accurate and restore the original pointer controls. so games like pikmin 3 and skyward sword hd play perfectly.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:39 am

Trouser wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:32 am Hell yes! Just give me more Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT characters and I'm game.
I'm sure they'll be in the game, behind a DLC paywall of course.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:42 am

I forgot to mention that, in case they have decided to compose a separate soundtrack for the international version like previous games in the saga, I hope they have thought to bring Takanori Arima (BT2) back.

Toshiyuki Kishi (BT3) wasn't bad but I like Takanori's work more.