"Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:40 pm

shadd21 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:07 pm I was under the impression that the game wasn't releasing until 2025 at the earliest, Does the age rating really point to this not being the case?
Namco Bandai does release a new mainline game every two years since 2016. 2024 makes sense given it fits the timeline of new releases. Also, 2024 is the big year of the series with its 40th anniversary.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:01 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:40 pm
shadd21 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:07 pm I was under the impression that the game wasn't releasing until 2025 at the earliest, Does the age rating really point to this not being the case?
Namco Bandai does release a new mainline game every two years since 2016. 2024 makes sense given it fits the timeline of new releases. Also, 2024 is the big year of the series with its 40th anniversary.
Xenoverse and fighterz are both getting current gen ports this year so they count as the 2024 games but I can definitely see this releasing in the fall or even holiday 2024.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:43 pm

Nickolaidas wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:24 pm I saw the character select screen in the trailer and got hyped, then immediately realized half the slots are Saiyan transformations and got less hyped. XD
Keep in mind we live in the DLC era of gaming... and spoiler alert, it's here to stay.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a big roster at launch and a season pass for additional characters.

I still want to see if those knock back pursuit attacks are still in, or wall smashes from Raging Blast games.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:56 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:43 pm
Nickolaidas wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:24 pm I saw the character select screen in the trailer and got hyped, then immediately realized half the slots are Saiyan transformations and got less hyped. XD
Keep in mind we live in the DLC era of gaming... and spoiler alert, it's here to stay.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a big roster at launch and a season pass for additional characters.

I still want to see if those knock back pursuit attacks are still in, or wall smashes from Raging Blast games.
It's probably not the character select screen.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:00 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:56 pm

What makes you think that?
DarkPrince_92 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:43 pm Keep in mind we live in the DLC era of gaming... and spoiler alert, it's here to stay.
Oh, I don't doubt that for a second. I am just one of the people who hate transformations being used as characters. I can concede to a kid Goku being next to adult Goku, but the whole 23rd Budokai Goku, then Saiyan Arc Goku, then Cell arc Goku, then Buu arc Goku, then Super Goku, then GT Goku, I just ... ugh. I hated in FighterZ when the roster began so nice and by the end of its life cycle 1/3 of the roster were Goku and Vegeta variations. It just dilutes the diversity of the roster in my eyes and lessens the oomf of the '150+ characters' claim.

Rinsankajugin
Regular

Post by Rinsankajugin » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:00 pm

It does suck a bit that Goku, Vegeta and Gohan tend to take up a good chunk of the roster in most games, but that's mostly because their fighting styles change so much over the story. And at the very least, it does seem like Spike is trying to replace some of the veteran's generic supers from Tenkaichi 3 for stuff they actually did in the series, like giving SS3 Goku his Dragon Twin Fist as a super.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:52 am

Nickolaidas wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:00 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:43 pm Keep in mind we live in the DLC era of gaming... and spoiler alert, it's here to stay.
Oh, I don't doubt that for a second. I am just one of the people who hate transformations being used as characters. I can concede to a kid Goku being next to adult Goku, but the whole 23rd Budokai Goku, then Saiyan Arc Goku, then Cell arc Goku, then Buu arc Goku, then Super Goku, then GT Goku, I just ... ugh. I hated in FighterZ when the roster began so nice and by the end of its life cycle 1/3 of the roster were Goku and Vegeta variations. It just dilutes the diversity of the roster in my eyes and lessens the oomf of the '150+ characters' claim.
I don't think because it's so zoomed out and chaotic.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:55 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:52 am

I agree. It's cool looking for reveals/trailers, but a clusterfuck to navigate.

If it's not coming out this year, I'd like to see a port/re-release of the GBA game, DragonBall Advanced Adventure. Couple it with a few DB-games for the 40th anniversary of the original series.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:55 am

If it's not coming out this year, I'd like to see a port/re-release of the GBA game, DragonBall Advanced Adventure. Couple it with a few DB-games for the 40th anniversary of the original series. Or just bundle it with a port of the Wii game, had a cool theme song.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:58 am

Jord wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:55 am

If it's not coming out this year, I'd like to see a port/re-release of the GBA game, DragonBall Advanced Adventure. Couple it with a few DB-games for the 40th anniversary of the original series. Or just bundle it with a port of the Wii game, had a cool theme song.
That will probably come out eventually for Nintendo Switch Online.

-----------------------------

I honestly have no idea what the roster is going to look like, this roster is going to be weird.

I'm hoping there's only one Vegito and not two Vegitos.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:03 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:52 am I don't think because it's so zoomed out and chaotic.
And now that I think about it, Sparking! games always had large character portraits in the character select screen. That final shot in the trailer is a full screen showing thumbnails.

So ... yeah. Now that I think about it, you are probably right. It was probably used for effect to show you the 'scope' of the roster.

Rinsankajugin
Regular

Post by Rinsankajugin » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:21 pm

Bardock God of Time wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:58 am I honestly have no idea what the roster is going to look like, this roster is going to be weird.

I'm hoping there's only one Vegito and not two Vegitos.
Same! I've seen WAY too many people put two base Vegettos or two Super Gogetas on their wishlists. I feel like it'd be better if both (Late) and (Super) versions of Goku and Vegeta can be able to fuse into the same Vegetto and Gogeta. Plus with how powerful the fusions are, it wouldn't surprise me if they were able to achieve SSB early, just look at SS3 Gotenks.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:27 pm

They still have time to refine the presentation, but right now the only thing I don't really like is the fact that the portraits next to the gauges are in 3D.

It would be more impressive and stylish with beautiful 2D art for the portraits.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:37 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:27 pm They still have time to refine the presentation, but right now the only thing I don't really like is the fact that the portraits next to the gauges are in 3D.
REALLY!? They looked like drawings to me. Just goes to show how good the models are.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:04 pm

^ In the gameplay itself, yeah, I love the models and graphics.
It's just for the static gauges portraits (and selection screen, which we still have to discover) that I would prefer something else than mere pictures of the existing 3D models, cause I can quite see the shading and stiffness of it, especially when Goku and Vegeta are in blue mode with those hair for example!

But hey, that's nitpicking. I never liked it much when they sort of convert the 3D models into pictures, cause you can still see it's not like actual 2D drawings (Budokai 1 was great for that, for example, it had actual drawings on the selection screen). That was a nitpick I had with the Tenkaichi series or even Fighterz too.
When you see the beautiful 2D drawings they can do in games like Dokkan Battle and Legends, it's hard to be impressed by captures of the unmoving 3D models.

I understand why it's much easier and more affordable for them to just have "enhanced photos of the 3D models", especially with big rosters, but I'd rather have them assign even just one specific artist in the dev team to create 2D portraits for all characters and forms.

Maybe they will in the end, we'll have to see what the selection screen looks like for example. However, again, it's just nitpicking, it doesn't take away from how great the game could be!

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:16 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:04 pmIt's just for the static gauges portraits (and selection screen, which we still have to discover)
Speaking on the menu itself, I hope it goes back to the colorful and creative UI that the previous games in the series had, unlike most everything since. The first Raging Blast especially, that was the most soulless and lame menu that I can remember. A far cry from the character set pieces and dialogue from the Sparking! games. Mini-game loading screens as well.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:47 pm

One thing I hope they fix is the beam collision. Back in the old Tenkaichi games being hit by one engulfed you. Now it looks like Xenoverse where, when it hits, it looks like there is a gap between you and the beam while you shake.

Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:24 am

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1779843235705454833

Kid Gohan and Master Roshi (Base) confirmed

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:07 pm

Awesome news. Yamcha looking a bit strange in that screenshot, too thin?

Also to the poster above yes I also hope they fix the beam collision it looked really bad in the latest gameplay trailer as well.

I've always wanted a game to have beams 'carry' the opponent and then engulf them if they can't get out of it after too long. But the series itself is pretty inconsistent with how beams work so I understand this is just easier.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:43 pm

OG characters confirmed? Yamcha, Piccolo and Muten seem to come from the first series.