New Dragon Ball Z Blu-Rays From Crunchyroll Coming August 1st

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolothesuper

Re: New Dragon Ball Z Blu-Rays From Crunchyroll Coming August 1st

Post by Piccolothesuper » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:45 pm

Is amazon the only place with the new release ? Is there any more 2023 db dbz dbgt bluray sets avalible yet? I know walmart has the same blurays in a much cooler 3 box set. Amazon and crunchyroll is just re realising the same 16:9 cropped version in new cases, i doubt if the disc are even new. Because i bought the now hard to find crunchyroll DBGT dvd set in a black dvd box with old art on it. It was the same old disc, from funimation just put in new boxes. I bet soon KAI will be re released since Hulu now has the complete series to stream. But hopefully since crunchyroll owns all of funimations back log of videos, there might be hope of a new dragon box release or a re release of the 4:3 steel books/ much cooler UK 4:3 sets. The UK 4:3 is the 30th ann blurays, steel book blurays and play in all USA players. My question is, does the old UK dbz kai blurays also play in USA players? My bluray player is a new 2020 TOJAK bluray player i highly recommend because it plays everything. Just no wifi support and amazon has the TOJAK 2020 bluray players for 88.00.

Piccolothesuper

Post by Piccolothesuper » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:00 am

So, we don't know 100% its the 2015 funimation 16:9 cropped widescreen in this exclusive amazon crunchyroll box set YET. But I'm betting all in its the dame walmart funimation 16:9 just like the blue brick release. Simply with crunchyroll added on the title box not funimation. Without a doubt these bluray disc are the EXACT same pulled from the funimation sets in a newish box. Why? Because i bought crunchyroll DBGT dvd box set, ot came in a better box this time, but the exact same dvds as the orange brick dbgt dvds. This is highly overpriced. 208.00 total if you are an amazon prime member. There is a possibility it will become rare since it is the boxset, but hopefully amazon pricedrops the set before the 1st. It is not a hot seller on amazon by any way. So if dropped to 159.99 that would make it more appealing. But if i where you? I would email crunchyroll about the set, message them on twitter also asking about a proper 4:3 release like the dragon box dbz from 2009. They should have access to those files. Or something even better in 4:3. My bluray player is region free, TOJAK player, I'm being forced to import season 4 or 5 or dbz kai on bluray from amazon, just to own all kai episodes on bluray. Its crazy kai is widely available on dvd and not bluray in usa. Note: HULU now has every 4:3 dbz kai episode and they are great. Crunchyroll from my knowledge has 4:3 dbz to stream only in Japanese and they recently added the movies in 4:3 all but battle of gods and broly for some reason. Another thing is amazon does not package boxsets properly resulting in broken disc pegs and loose disc. You can choose to gift wrap ot, that may up your chances in getting this set in great condition.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:56 am

The Enter Key feels very neglected. Give it some love plz.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:52 am

At this point, standard treatment>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>whatever passes for "special treatment" for this series (and indeed franchise in general).
Because every kind of the latter has been absolutely atrocious for DB, being done in all the wrong ways, whereas for those anime series from the same time that get the former, it actually makes sense and doesn't need any more re-releasing.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:48 am

Piccolothesuper wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:45 pm Is amazon the only place with the new release ?
Nope, Rightstuff have them and likely other online retailers too.
Piccolothesuper wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:45 pm Is there any more 2023 db dbz dbgt bluray sets avalible yet.
None. These are the only Dragon Ball Z Blu-Rays releasing this year, original Dragon Ball has only been released on Blu-Ray in France, Germany and Spain, and GT has never been releases on the format with the exception of the TV special.
Piccolothesuper wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:45 pm The UK 4:3 is the 30th ann blurays, steel book blurays and play in all USA players. My question is, does the old UK dbz kai blurays also play in USA players? My bluray player is a new 2020 TOJAK bluray player i highly recommend because it plays everything. Just no wifi support and amazon has the TOJAK 2020 bluray players for 88.00.
The UK Kai Blu-Rays wouldn't work on a region A Blu-Ray player no. The Z Blu-Rays though do work on US players because they are region A/B.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Piccolothesuper

Post by Piccolothesuper » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:37 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:48 am
Piccolothesuper wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:45 pm Is amazon the only place with the new release ?
Nope, Rightstuff have them and likely other online retailers too.
Piccolothesuper wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:45 pm Is there any more 2023 db dbz dbgt bluray sets avalible yet.
None. These are the only Dragon Ball Z Blu-Rays releasing this year, original Dragon Ball has only been released on Blu-Ray in France, Germany and Spain, and GT has never been releases on the format with the exception of the TV special.
Piccolothesuper wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:45 pm The UK 4:3 is the 30th ann blurays, steel book blurays and play in all USA players. My question is, does the old UK dbz kai blurays also play in USA players? My bluray player is a new 2020 TOJAK bluray player i highly recommend because it plays everything. Just no wifi support and amazon has the TOJAK 2020 bluray players for 88.00.
The UK Kai Blu-Rays wouldn't work on a region A Blu-Ray player no. The Z Blu-Rays though do work on US players because they are region A/B.
Well luckily my TOJAK 2020 bluray player has an option for PAL blurays. I highly recommend buying it. Its on amazon for 89.99 i believe. I had to buy kai season 4 bluray PAL from ebay, because its so out of print people price hiked it to 149.99 to 249.99 on amazon and ebay. Crunchyroll has access to the dragonbox dvds and 30th 4:3 Z and KAI hopefully at some point. We will get a chance to buy them. I'm still tempted to buy the new crunchyroll box set of Z from amazon, 16:9 for sure, but i know amazon and best buy both have horrible packing protection. My 2003 tmnt dvd set just arrived and sooo many disc loose and scratched. If you reading this wants to buy the new Z crunchyroll box set, choose the gift wrap option. You can add a note to please package it properly. Buy with caution if a dvd or bluray box set from amazon. It will 8/10 arrive damaged. Have a great day everyone.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:15 pm

It's worth noting that, even though the GT special was indeed released alongside the other movies and OVAs in the French complete set, this special alone was not remastered or upscaled in any way, and is purely Standard Definition.

And, to be honest, its quality is weirdly rubbish, it genuinely looks like a VHS transfer.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:15 pm

It's worth noting that, even though the GT special was indeed released alongside the other movies and OVAs in the French complete set, this special alone was not remastered or upscaled in any way, and is purely Standard Definition.

And, to be honest, its quality is weirdly rubbish, it genuinely looks like a VHS transfer.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:26 am

So, how are these blu rays? Probably some repackage of old Funimation stuff?
I am turning 35 this year and I will probably die from old age first, than ever getting the show or at least the Z portion of it as a standard non-butchered english release. I have missed on the Z Dragon Boxes back then, as fresh out of school with not much money to toss on imports, so I am not paying such prices nowadays for outdated media – it looks like hell on 4K TV and sounds even worse with those degraded sound tracks.

I am seriously thinking about buying those AB Group Blurays of DB or hopefully waiting if they will ever get released with english support, as I've heard it is the most superb release so far and even includes the better Japanese audio from fans' broadcast versions and image was properly/or as best as they could remastered.

Seriously, they can show their DB releases up their bums when all the other stuff gets released on blu ray without it being as neglected and butchered in insane ways as this show constantly gets since.
Many people pirate DB because of that in a similar way to the old theatrical Star Wars without edits, it's mind boggling.
You can access the best Dragon Ball media only through pirating as fans do way better jobs on mastering, color grading and editing than the cheap scamming company in charge of the distribution.

Don't take this as a piracy support, always buy the original stuff of anything you love and if you can, but I can honestly say that any english release except for the Dragon Boxes, is a waste of money. Let them bleed by not buying these subpar releases.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:41 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:26 am So, how are these blu rays? Probably some repackage of old Funimation stuff?
I am turning 35 this year and I will probably die from old age first, than ever getting the show or at least the Z portion of it as a standard non-butchered english release. I have missed on the Z Dragon Boxes back then, as fresh out of school with not much money to toss on imports, so I am not paying such prices nowadays for outdated media – it looks like hell on 4K TV and sounds even worse with those degraded sound tracks.

I am seriously thinking about buying those AB Group Blurays of DB or hopefully waiting if they will ever get released with english support, as I've heard it is the most superb release so far and even includes the better Japanese audio from fans' broadcast versions and image was properly/or as best as they could remastered.

Seriously, they can show their DB releases up their bums when all the other stuff gets released on blu ray without it being as neglected and butchered in insane ways as this show constantly gets since.
Many people pirate DB because of that in a similar way to the old theatrical Star Wars without edits, it's mind boggling.
You can access the best Dragon Ball media only through pirating as fans do way better jobs on mastering, color grading and editing than the cheap scamming company in charge of the distribution.

Don't take this as a piracy support, always buy the original stuff of anything you love and if you can, but I can honestly say that any english release except for the Dragon Boxes, is a waste of money. Let them bleed by not buying these subpar releases.
At this point, short of Toei doing their own version, there's almost zero chance of getting a halfway decent release of Z. And, well... even then, there's a chance Crunchyroll will say "no thanks", like how we've had brand new HD masters of the movies for about 5 years now and they haven't replaced the God awful Funimation movie masters yet.

Piccolothesuper

Post by Piccolothesuper » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:02 am

Ok so i bought the new crunchyroll dbz bluray set. All the disc are fresh and say crunchyroll on the disc, it is the same old 16:9 2017 release. So nothing new really other than the cool orange box with goku goku ss gohan ss2 frieza too. So, wait for a price drop if you want it from amazon. Now the uk dbz kai season 4 does indeed work with region 1 bluray. So all of kai in uk bluray works region 1. But i tested the dbs complete series bluray set it is hard region locked for region b. I wish i could find a cheap region free bluray player somewhere. To work here in us for all region blurays.
If anyone finds another new usa bluray or dvd release, please post it for db z gt or super or movies. Much love all 🐲 rock the dragon 🐲

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:47 am

Piccolothesuper wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:02 amit is the same old 16:9 2017 release.
The fact that they made this mistake again that year speaks volumes. And this is even a time in which actual BD's of anime from the 20th century were coming out with the proper aspect ratio for everything.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:57 am

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:47 am
Piccolothesuper wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:02 amit is the same old 16:9 2017 release.
The fact that they made this mistake again that year speaks volumes. And this is even a time in which actual BD's of anime from the 20th century were coming out with the proper aspect ratio for everything.
RIP Dragon Ball in the USA and every country where CR has video distributing rights.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:12 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:57 am
GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:47 am
RIP Dragon Ball in the USA and every country where CR has video distributing rights.
Which at this rate is going to become every country with home video. Monopolies suck.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:17 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:57 am RIP Dragon Ball in the USA and every country where CR has video distributing rights.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:12 am Which at this rate is going to become every country with home video. Monopolies suck.
The odds just keep on getting progressively stacked against this series, don't they? It's been all but abandoned now. The original studio has no concern at all for what happens to it, and so much is going to be lost to time before they ever do.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:00 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:17 am
sangofe wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:57 am RIP Dragon Ball in the USA and every country where CR has video distributing rights.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:12 am Which at this rate is going to become every country with home video. Monopolies suck.
The odds just keep on getting progressively stacked against this series, don't they? It's been all but abandoned now. The original studio has no concern at all for what happens to it, and so much is going to be lost to time before they ever do.
I never thought I'd say this... But thankfully we've got AB in France.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:04 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:00 pm I never thought I'd say this... But thankfully we've got AB in France.
I understand that they're the only ones doing a decent job. And with the bad reputation that the first French dubs had, it looks like they've learned from whatever mistakes they may have made back then at least regarding how the series should be handled.
Now that it's mentioned though, is it only in the US and other primarily English-speaking countries that Funiroll (or Funimation in the past) has the licensing rights for?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:12 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:04 pm
sangofe wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:00 pm I never thought I'd say this... But thankfully we've got AB in France.
I understand that they're the only ones doing a decent job. And with the bad reputation that the first French dubs had, it looks like they've learned from whatever mistakes they may have made back then at least regarding how the series should be handled.
Now that it's mentioned though, is it only in the US and other primarily English-speaking countries that Funiroll (or Funimation in the past) has the licensing rights for?
No, Germany as well as probably other countries too.

And AB didn't use to care at all. They started releasing dbz on VHS and dvd censored dub only.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:19 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:12 pm

And AB didn't use to care at all. They started releasing dbz on VHS and dvd censored dub only.
I think its not that they CARE but they know their target audience wont accept a subpar product anymore. Which is more than can be said of Funimation/Crunchyroll.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:32 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:19 pm
sangofe wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:12 pm

I think its not that they CARE but they know their target audience wont accept a subpar product anymore. Which is more than can be said of Funimation/Crunchyroll.
Yeeeeeeahhhh...FUNimation royally screwed up so many times with Z's releases over the years and put out only a handful in that time which i would even be able to in good faith call remotely decent (singles, Dragon Boxes, Level sets) which weren't perfect but still better than just about every other version aside from those. Now CR is basically regurgitating the same garage BD releases that FUNi put out almost a decade ago. Same package art and everything. I...wow!!!!!
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)