New Dragon Ball Z Blu-Rays From Crunchyroll Coming August 1st

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: New Dragon Ball Z Blu-Rays From Crunchyroll Coming August 1st

Post by sangofe » Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:10 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:19 pm
sangofe wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:12 pm
GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:04 pm

I understand that they're the only ones doing a decent job. And with the bad reputation that the first French dubs had, it looks like they've learned from whatever mistakes they may have made back then at least regarding how the series should be handled.
Now that it's mentioned though, is it only in the US and other primarily English-speaking countries that Funiroll (or Funimation in the past) has the licensing rights for?
No, Germany as well as probably other countries too.

And AB didn't use to care at all. They started releasing dbz on VHS and dvd censored dub only.
I think its not that they CARE but they know their target audience wont accept a subpar product anymore. Which is more than can be said of Funimation/Crunchyroll.
If you're referring to AB I think the people working on their releases do care. They hired fans.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:19 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:10 am If you're referring to AB I think the people working on their releases do care. They hired fans.
It's great to hear AB hires fans now. Seems like the company has changed a lot compared to 20 years ago when they acquired and distributed the Big Green dubs (which I ironically love).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:44 am

It's still astounding to me that one of the most popular anime series in North America, probably even the world, is getting such shabby treatment by a company with the backing of the Sony corporation, while a distributor that appears to be five people in a storage unit are knocking it out of the park on a fairly regular basis. Like, Discotek has been putting out quality remasters of older anime series, are knocking it out of the park with their Digimon sets and don't appear to be stopping any time soon. Meanwhile, Funimation is turning down quality remasters of DBZ straight from the source and can't seem to decide while of their terrible remasters are "the way it was meant to be seen". It's just so frustrating. Even Viz acknowledged their mistake with Sailor Moon and are working to fix it, what's your excuse, Texas?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:45 am

Lance Freeman wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:44 am It's still astounding to me that one of the most popular anime series in North America, probably even the world, is getting such shabby treatment by a company with the backing of the Sony corporation, while a distributor that appears to be five people in a storage unit are knocking it out of the park on a fairly regular basis. Like, Discotek has been putting out quality remasters of older anime series, are knocking it out of the park with their Digimon sets and don't appear to be stopping any time soon. Meanwhile, Funimation is turning down quality remasters of DBZ straight from the source and can't seem to decide while of their terrible remasters are "the way it was meant to be seen". It's just so frustrating. Even Viz acknowledged their mistake with Sailor Moon and are working to fix it, what's your excuse, Texas?
The worst part is they could have done absolutely nothing but rerelease their old low bitrate dvd singles in box sets and that would still be an upgrade from their Orange Bricks and Season Blu-rays

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:33 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:45 am
Lance Freeman wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:44 am It's still astounding to me that one of the most popular anime series in North America, probably even the world, is getting such shabby treatment by a company with the backing of the Sony corporation, while a distributor that appears to be five people in a storage unit are knocking it out of the park on a fairly regular basis. Like, Discotek has been putting out quality remasters of older anime series, are knocking it out of the park with their Digimon sets and don't appear to be stopping any time soon. Meanwhile, Funimation is turning down quality remasters of DBZ straight from the source and can't seem to decide while of their terrible remasters are "the way it was meant to be seen". It's just so frustrating. Even Viz acknowledged their mistake with Sailor Moon and are working to fix it, what's your excuse, Texas?
The worst part is they could have done absolutely nothing but rerelease their old low bitrate dvd singles in box sets and that would still be an upgrade from their Orange Bricks and Season Blu-rays
So much yes, because FUNi could've had a perfectly serviceable DVD release by doing this. Or even if the Orange Bricks themselves had been just the same masters as the single discs (albeit touched up for better encoding/compression) on the discs and not what they ended up doing back in 2007. Hell, the last two or three season sets containing the Saiyaman/Buu portion of the story were actually better image wise than the earlier ones, aside from the cropped image likely due to amping down on the excessive DNR filtering. There was no need for the fake widescreen or the aggressive automated noise reduction process, they chose to do those things because in the minds of the misguided, even possibly ignorant suits in the home video division making those decisions the thought was that this kind of stuff would appeal to the people who wanted DBZ to fill up their fancy schmancy widescreen televisions and having a modern looking image. Of course, they ended up making the end product objectively WORSE quality wise.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:48 pm

Alternately they could have kept the Dragon Boxes in print.
Alternately they could have just released their untouched HD scans because seriously, while those scans might have their issues, they are infinitely preferrable to literally anything they've done since. Like, really CR, at this point I don't think fans even necessarily want perfection. We just want the bare minimum. (Perfection would obviously be nice but baby steps here, just not fucking with the footage would be nice.)