The Unspoken "Law" of Potara (?).

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

The Unspoken "Law" of Potara (?).

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:02 am

I've been meaning to ask, there's no actual reason for the Potara fusion to take the "Kakarot" name other than to make a differentiation in regards to Gogeta. But then enters Merged Zamasu, a fusion between two very different characters in name and appearance, and yet, the result is a fused character that even one who doesn't know much could argue it's the result of two fusees being one and the same, in name and appearance.

It's as if the Potara ignores the name "Goku Black" and his appearance and goes for a Zamasu and Zamasu fusion. Hence the name "Merged Zamasu", not "Gokusu", "Zamaku". Or even "Kakasu", "Zamarotto". On top of that, his voice is one person talking in echo form, instead of two people talking simultaneously.

So, do you think Potara ignores what's not the "real deal" and goes for what actually is? Could it be that the reason it takes the "Kakarot" name is because that's Goku's real name and Merged Zamasu being the way he is because in reality it is indeed a fusion between two Zamasus instead of one Zamasu and a Saiyan named "Goku Black"?

And if this is the case, why hasn't this been acknowledged yet in any official capacity?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: The Unspoken "Law" of Potara (?).

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:41 am

I can’t help but toss an out-of-universe of explanation into the mix: both "Gogeta" AND "Veku" were already taken in DBZ movie 12, which left Toriyama in a pickle.

We also know that there was the potential to have named what we know as "Vegetto" as "Gogeta" until the last minute, so maybe… I dunno? Fusions ONLY have one name? Regardless of fusion method? Until they didn’t? We don’t have a Potara equivalent of Gotenks to know if HE WOULD identify as "Trunten"…!

I like your theory about "real" names contributing to a Potara name. As for why it has not been officially explained that way if so, well, they haven’t done guidebooks in the time since. No worthwhile place to explain it that way (or, more likely, and in line with prior guidebook "explanations,” propose it rhetorically back at the reader).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:10 pm

I've always liked the theory that Vegetto is more Vegeta (In contrast to Gogeta being more Goku) so he prefers to call Goku by his birth name instead.

Your theory makes me wonder about one thing... If Goku and Gohan did fuse with the Potara, what would be their name? I've seen "Gok(u)han" and "Kuhan" thrown around, but it would probably be something with Kakarotto instead. Kakahan? Gorotto?
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:38 pm

It can get worse, what if we'll ever get Goku + Goku or Vegeta + Vegeta in the SDBH anime?

I'll admit that I'd be curious to see how SSB + SSJ4 would look, though, but that's beyond the scope of this topic.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:00 am

VegettoEX wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:41 amWe also know that there was the potential to have named what we know as "Vegetto" as "Gogeta" until the last minute, so maybe… I dunno? Fusions ONLY have one name? Regardless of fusion method? Until they didn’t? We don’t have a Potara equivalent of Gotenks to know if HE WOULD identify as "Trunten"…!
There's the argument that if there are "Gogeta" and "Vegetto", then there's no reason to think the Potara fusion of Goten and Trunks would still be called "Gotenks" (and, of course, there's marketability to consider). It baffles me in unimaginable levels that "Trunten" hasn't seen the light of day in any shape or form yet. We even got a game all about fusions along the way but they managed to miss that opportunity.
VegettoEX wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:41 amI like your theory about "real" names contributing to a Potara name. As for why it has not been officially explained that way if so, well, they haven’t done guidebooks in the time since. No worthwhile place to explain it that way (or, more likely, and in line with prior guidebook "explanations,” propose it rhetorically back at the reader).
There was Gogeta in Dragon Ball Super Broly. I always thought he could have said something about this, but of course they went for the casual and simple way of doing things. I mean, they went out of their way to say Freeza doesn't know about fusion, I'm sure addressing this wouldn't be too far-fetched or anything.
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:10 pmYour theory makes me wonder about one thing... If Goku and Gohan did fuse with the Potara, what would be their name? I've seen "Gok(u)han" and "Kuhan" thrown around, but it would probably be something with Kakarotto instead. Kakahan? Gorotto?
Yeah, people often use those names and in my head I was always like "no, a Potara fusion between Goku and Gohan would not have those names" (yes, I have this thing with me ever since Merged Zamasu appeared, but only now I decided to create thread for it, go figure). Of course, because it isn't confirmed, I've always kept to myself, but I'm pretty sure all Potara fusions with Goku would take the "Kakarot" name instead due to this "unspoken law".
nineko wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:38 pmIt can get worse, what if we'll ever get Goku + Goku or Vegeta + Vegeta in the SDBH anime?
If I'm right and it's the Potara, the name would be "Merged Vegeta" and "Merged Kakarot". With one voice overlapping onto itself.

~ Day of the Machines ~

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:45 am

Gogeta and Vegito are two different fused beings, one born by mortal fusion method, another born by Divine fusion method. It is logical that they have different names, as they are beings born from very different means (Metamoran mortal vs. Potara Divine). Metamoran fusion between Caulifla and Kale wouldn't be named Kefla and Potara fusion between Trunks and Goten wouldn't be named Gotenks.

It makes sense that Fused Zamasu is called only "Zamasu" and that he only speaks with one voice (with echo effect added) because Goku Black is Zamasu. His mind and soul are those of Zamasu, his main form, Super Saiyan Rosé, derives from his identity as Zamasu. He refers to himself as Zamasu and he is called "Goku Black" only by ignorant mortals who do not know his true identity, like Future Bulma.

Even various characters refer to Fused Zamasu as a singular entity, not a merged being... Fused Zamasu himself refers to himself as the merging between two "powers", not two "people", and Vegito addresses Zamasu like he's only person... because that's what he is. Goku Black is Zamasu and so the fused being is just Zamasu merging with himself. This is a unique case derived from timeline split, Gowasu even acknowledges that it is unbelievable that Zamasu merged with himself. Fused Zamasu is a unique case, the timeline split resulted in the existence of two Zamases in the same era, who could merge together. This is obviously the outlier and not the norm.

Bloodthroe

Post by Bloodthroe » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:47 am

I always thought Goku, once he merged with Vegeta's saiyan pride, might start going by his saiyan name. Hence, the fusion name is Kakarotto + Vegeta.

As for Goku Black, it's obvious that was just a nickname given to him, not his real identity. Merged Zamasu makes sense.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:06 am

What would Tenshinhan and Gokus name be?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

NeoZ Duwang
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeoZ Duwang » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:32 am

TobyS wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:06 am What would Tenshinhan and Gokus name be?
Tengoku is too good of a name for them to not use that
she/they.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:09 am

Dunno, I kinda like Tenshinotto.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:05 pm

But "Goku Black" is just a nickname created by Trunks? His name is still Zamasu. I would erase "Merged" from the fusion name, because it sounds stupid.
nineko wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:38 pm It can get worse, what if we'll ever get Goku + Goku or Vegeta + Vegeta in the SDBH anime?
We'd get a stupid name like "Merged Zamasu": Merged Goku and Merged Vegeta.

I'd call them Ggookkuu and Vveeggeettaa just to piss off the fandom.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:10 pm

Trouser wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:05 pm But "Goku Black" is just a nickname created by Trunks? His name is still Zamasu. I would erase "Merged" from the fusion name, because it sounds stupid.
nineko wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:38 pm It can get worse, what if we'll ever get Goku + Goku or Vegeta + Vegeta in the SDBH anime?
We'd get a stupid name like "Merged Zamasu": Merged Goku and Merged Vegeta.

I'd call them Ggookkuu and Vveeggeettaa just to piss off the fandom.
He is called "Fused Zamasu" to distinguish him from Normal, Unfused Zamasu in videogames and merchandise. In the actual Story, everyone simply calls him "Zamasu", including himself.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:34 pm

Yeah, I guess I should have specified, he's called "Merged Zamasu" for the reasons stated above. But the point stands, a fusion between Goku Black and Zamasu, via Potara, is called "Zamasu", instead of one of the names I proposed above.

I do think that if Goku Black and Zamasu were to perform the Metamoru fusion, the name would be one of those mentioned and we would hear Masako Nozawa/Goku Black voice, as well as having more Goku Black's features.

~ Day of the Machines ~