Do you think 18 was holding back fighting Mighty Mask?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Do you think 18 was holding back fighting Mighty Mask?

Post by Mireya » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:38 pm

When 18 was fighting Trunks and Goten whom were in that costume, do you think she held back some power, much power... Or used FP?

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you think 18 was holding back fighting Mighty Mask?

Post by Seekeroftruth » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:36 pm

Yes since she taught that Mighty Mask was a human fighter and it would be foolish for her to go all out and get disqualified. Her goal was to win the prize money.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:36 pm

Seekeroftruth wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:36 pm Yes since she taught that Mighty Mask was a human fighter and it would be foolish for her to go all out and get disqualified. Her goal was to win the prize money.
But if she went all out, the fight would end sooner and she’d get her prize money faster.

Personally, I think she was just in no hurry and curious to see Mighty Mask’s power.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:54 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:36 pm
Seekeroftruth wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:36 pm Yes since she taught that Mighty Mask was a human fighter and it would be foolish for her to go all out and get disqualified. Her goal was to win the prize money.
But if she went all out, the fight would end sooner and she’d get her prize money faster.

Personally, I think she was just in no hurry and curious to see Mighty Mask’s power.
If she went all out she could kill the guy. 18 had one of the least control when it came to her strength, which the punching bag showed.

Bloodthroe

Post by Bloodthroe » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:34 am

Clarification: If 18 killed her opponent, she would be disqualified from winning the tournament.

It makes sense that she would hold back until she knew who she was fighting.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:51 am

No, and the story makes it abundantly clear that Goten and Trunks are more than strong enough to kill her. Trunks thinks a full power blast will kill her, 18 is shocked and scared and resorts to revealing their identity, Gohan and Vegeta are compared to the kids, Piccolo is shocked by their strength, and now in Super we see the kids handling multiple Cell Jrs. at once.

Everything points toward the kids being relative to the adults at this stage, which is far beyond 18.

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:10 pm

Yuji wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:51 am No, and the story makes it abundantly clear that Goten and Trunks are more than strong enough to kill her. Trunks thinks a full power blast will kill her, 18 is shocked and scared and resorts to revealing their identity, Gohan and Vegeta are compared to the kids, Piccolo is shocked by their strength, and now in Super we see the kids handling multiple Cell Jrs. at once.

Everything points toward the kids being relative to the adults at this stage, which is far beyond 18.
This is about her fight vs them before turning into a SSJ.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:45 am

Mireya wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:10 pm
Yuji wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:51 am No, and the story makes it abundantly clear that Goten and Trunks are more than strong enough to kill her. Trunks thinks a full power blast will kill her, 18 is shocked and scared and resorts to revealing their identity, Gohan and Vegeta are compared to the kids, Piccolo is shocked by their strength, and now in Super we see the kids handling multiple Cell Jrs. at once.

In that case, she was. Base Saiyans are weaker than Namek Freeza by BoG at the very least.

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:31 pm

Yuji wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:45 am
Mireya wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:10 pm

In that case, she was. Base Saiyans are weaker than Namek Freeza by BoG at the very least.
I think there's enough evidence in the manga to make that questionable.

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:22 am

I think she was at full power. She already acknowledged them as being strong and had enough time to ramp things up just by clashing with them.

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:36 am

Goku9001 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:22 am I think she was at full power. She already acknowledged them as being strong and had enough time to ramp things up just by clashing with them.
She also acknowledge vegeta being strong before beating him down. Jiren also acknowledge vegeta's strength before one shotting him. A figher acknowledging another does not mean they are close in strength.

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:36 am

Seekeroftruth wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:36 am
Goku9001 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:22 am I think she was at full power. She already acknowledged them as being strong and had enough time to ramp things up just by clashing with them.
She also acknowledge vegeta being strong before beating him down. Jiren also acknowledge vegeta's strength before one shotting him. A figher acknowledging another does not mean they are close in strength.
She claimed Vegeta was nothing special. Jiren also made it clear that Vegeta couldn't beat him so that's a pretty moot point.

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:44 pm

Goku9001 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:36 am
She claimed Vegeta was nothing special. Jiren also made it clear that Vegeta couldn't beat him so that's a pretty moot point.
She also claim he was strong. Jiren claim so as well. We have many example of weaker fighters being complimented by stronger fighters, this is the point.

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:30 pm

Seekeroftruth wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:44 pm

She also claim he was strong. Jiren claim so as well. We have many example of weaker fighters being complimented by stronger fighters, this is the point.
You didn't address what I said. Jiren was clearly not concerned about Vegeta's strength since he declared that he would win even when Vegeta had Goku and Android 17 on his side. There is no instance where Android 18 was completely confident in winning until Goten and Trunks exposed themselves. The only time Android 18 claimed Vegeta was strong was when she claimed he was strong relative to a human-like race. Within the same statement, she claims Vegeta's nothing special.

Chapter: 353 (DBZ 159), P10.2-4, P11.1
Context: after continuing to fight No.18
Vegeta: “This is really starting to annoy me. You act as if nothing’s happened…”
No.18: “I’m surprised. To think that a flesh-and-blood human could be so good, even if you are an alien. Is this man called ‘Son Goku’ even stronger?”
Vegeta: “Don’t kid yourself. He may have temporarily slipped by me, but now things have returned to normal and I should be on top again.”
No.18: “What? So you’re nothing special. Either of you.”

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:20 am

Goku9001 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:30 pm

You didn't address what I said. Jiren was clearly not concerned about Vegeta's strength since he declared that he would win even when Vegeta had Goku and Android 17 on his side. There is no instance where Android 18 was completely confident in winning until Goten and Trunks exposed themselves. The only time Android 18 claimed Vegeta was strong was when she claimed he was strong relative to a human-like race. Within the same statement, she claims Vegeta's nothing special.

Vegeta: “This is really starting to annoy me. You act as if nothing’s happened…”
No.18: “I’m surprised. To think that a flesh-and-blood human could be so good, even if you are an alien. Is this man called ‘Son Goku’ even stronger?”
Vegeta: “Don’t kid yourself. He may have temporarily slipped by me, but now things have returned to normal and I should be on top again.”

I did address. My point was this.

- Stronger fighters have complimented weaker fighters on their strength even when said fighter is of no concern to them. This was shown several times throughout he series.

-Android 18 was fairly confident she could win. She was holding back her strength because mighty mask was for all intent and purpose a human fighter. Android 18 lives with krillin and knows that there are humans who can be stronger than average. Android 18 ends the fight very quickly when she realizes that mighty mask is goten and trunks.

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:20 am

- Stronger fighters have complimented weaker fighters on their strength even when said fighter is of no concern to them. This was shown several times throughout he series.

-Android 18 was fairly confident she could win. She was holding back her strength because mighty mask was for all intent and purpose a human fighter. Android 18 lives with krillin and knows that there are humans who can be stronger than average. Android 18 ends the fight very quickly when she realizes that mighty mask is goten and trunks.

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:33 am

Seekeroftruth wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:20 am

The first point has already been addressed. Jiren only acknowledged him and yet stated he would win with certainty. The only thing Android 18 did was claim that Mighty Mask was unusually strong after being miffed that he hadn't gone down so easily. There's literally no comparison between the two to be had.

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:15 am

Goku9001 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:33 am
Seekeroftruth wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:20 am

The first point has already been addressed. Jiren only acknowledged him and yet stated he would win with certainty. The only thing Android 18 did was claim that Mighty Mask was unusually strong after being miffed that he hadn't gone down so easily. There's literally no comparison between the two to be had.
And 18 also stated she would win decisively against trunks and goten even though she initially complimented mighty mask. So your point?

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:46 pm

C18 used a ki blast against Mighty Mask, therefore C18 knew that wasn't a regular human. C18 doesn't use ki blast against regular humans.
I do believe she held back her powers.

Once C18 saw Mighty Mask suppressed ki blast from SSJ1 Trunks, she saw his ki was powerful and fast, therefore C18 wanted to DQ them.

I believe Goten and Trunks are stronger than C18, the only thing is they were at a huge disadvantage for these reasons:

- Unable to see properly, which is a huge disadvantage against a opponent they can sense her ki.
- Unable to move
- Unable to attack, block and dodge
- Unable to dodge properly

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:10 pm

super michael wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:46 pm C18 used a ki blast against Mighty Mask, therefore C18 knew that wasn't a regular human. C18 doesn't use ki blast against regular humans.
I do believe she held back her powers.

Once C18 saw Mighty Mask suppressed ki blast from SSJ1 Trunks, she saw his ki was powerful and fast, therefore C18 wanted to DQ them.

I believe Goten and Trunks are stronger than C18, the only thing is they were at a huge disadvantage for these reasons:

- Unable to see properly, which is a huge disadvantage against a opponent they can sense her ki.
- Unable to move
- Unable to attack, block and dodge
- Unable to dodge properly
Things to consider

- All base saiyans are weaker than Freeza according to battle of gods film.

-Trunks and Goten cannot access the higher grades of SSJ (pre-rosat)

-SSJ Trunks considers himself inferior to SSJ Vegeta, who in turn is still weaker than Majin Vegeta. Trunks was outright defeated from one punch from SSJ vegeta.

-Trunks and Goten are inferior to Piccolo as evident by Buu reverting to Piccolo once the fusion had worn off.

-Piccolo is inferior by a wide margin to Dabura, who is equal to perfect cell.

-SSJ Trunks and goten were effortlessly defeated by majin vgeta (who was severely injured) and not trying.