Dragon Ball - Finally Fully Color Corrected

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

vanner64

Dragon Ball - Finally Fully Color Corrected

Post by vanner64 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:28 am

Seed of Might is proud to present our final version of Dragon Ball. In this fan-created work you'll get the best of the best for the Original Dragon Ball series when it comes to:

Video
By far the most ambitious portion of this final version is the color correction process. 30 people spent over a full year to white balance, color correct and filter all 153 episodes (and two specials!) of Dragon Ball. That’s about 3750 minutes or 5,400,000 frames of footage. Many past online efforts have lacked a proper white balance, and you can see what a difference a good white balance alone makes before any further corrections

After the white balance was completed, we referenced hundreds of examples coming from the original cel production materials. This was important to ensure the end result was actually accurate in addition to being nice to look at. Being an all-volunteer group with no corporate deadlines to meet, we had the greatest resource of all; time. We used that time to go over the results of our work again and again until we achieved the greatest overall result possible. If you’d like to learn more about specifics, you can read the write-up of the color correction process here (We even have a “Night-Mode” version of the document)

Don’t feel like reading all that? Well, these images speak for themselves:

Keep in mind that some general video filtering and aspect ratio correction was done as well to bring out the best in the video clarity, pushing it beyond what DVD is capable of. It would be a damn shame if the video encode was of low quality and hurt details, so we provided optimal settings to ensure viewers won’t miss a thing. While focused on our DBZ “Merge” project, this document covers these details pretty well

Audio
For Japanese audio, gone are the muffled sounds of the optical audio present on home releases. In its place you'll get high quality Broadcast Audio tracks captured, shared, cleaned, and synced by fans over the years. If you're unfamiliar with the home release audio problems and what the difference broadcast audio makes, check out an example video here.
If you're really interested in the history of why this is, this video offers a great explanation:

For fans of the English dub, that is also included and synced losslessly. For the first time ever (that we can tell), the original stereo Funimation dub has been synced to the DBOX release, using a mix of Hi-Fi VHS audio when available as well as DVD audio. Those familiar with our old release will still get to enjoy the 5.1 Surround Sound Funimation dub from the Blue Bricks DVD. Both of these tracks have the Japanese insert songs reintroduced or replaced with higher quality versions. We've also included English dubs outside of Funimation! The BLT dub is available on the first 13 episodes and Harmony Gold on the first five.

Due to size consideration and group priorities, we have not included any other language dubs. However, this is one reason why it was important for us to use Toei's DBOX video as a sync. It can be considered the most "universal" since studios would likely license this version from Toei themselves. This gives other fans around the world the chance to sync their preferred dub track to what we've made.

Subtitles
Generally satisfied with the official subtitles made by Clyde Mandelin, we've applied some small tweaks to ensure Toriyama's favorite puns are preserved as well as other minor corrections.
Our default subtitle track takes advantage of the Advanced SubStation Alpha format to create dynamic subtitles with the size, color, and font designed in a way to make it look like the signs are part of the video.

Prefer more traditional subtitles? A simplified version of the translation is also available. If you only want these cool signs and listen to the English dub, we even have a subtitle track that only has these great signs. Speaking of the English dub, we synced and corrected a “Dubtitles” track. Subtitles that match exactly what is being said in the English Funimation Dub. For the final subs track, we even included Japanese Kanji fully synced from the Japanese Closed Caption rebroadcasts (if anyone is actually weeb enough to use it).

FAQs

Let me take this time to answer some questions I anticipate people may have.

Q1. Why did you use the Dragon Boxes to Color Correct? Couldn’t you have used the (version you specifically purchased)?
A1. The Dragon Box version is the latest and complete version created by Toei animation for home release. As stated earlier, fans of other dub languages can use this version to sync their audio instead of syncing to a specific version created by Funimation. While the Saga Sets do look rather nice for the first 28 episodes, most episodes suffer from “crusty” video as a result of how media at the time was stored and encoded. It’s impossible to bring out true detail from a low quality source with acceptable colors, so we instead decided to improve the colors on the home release that had the best detail.

In addition, the Dragon Boxes do not suffer from Artificial Intelligence upscale artifacting that resulted from upscalers used in past home releases. If we had instead worked on something like the SelectaVision or AB Video releases, we would “lock in” AI upscale problems. When a better upscaler comes out in a few years, our work would become outdated at that point. Think about what we've actually created as a new video master that could one day be upscaled as well as or better than AB Video, though not necessarily by Seed of Might, with a better final result.

Q2. Why didn’t Seed of Might upscale this one? Surely it would look better in HD right? Bigger numbers in resolution means a better picture right?
A2. Most software upscalers tend to create decent results in single images but fall apart in motion. It’s not a coincidence that most upscales you see shared are only of still images or occasionally low-quality video that masks these issues. This criticism applies to the best current upscales with trained models that take time and decent processing power, so “easy” fan upscales where people say they will just “throw it in Topaz '' look even worse. As a group we feel that MPV with Spline36 accomplishes great upscaling with no detail destruction. People have viewed this video on large 4K TVs, and the real-time Spline36 upscale creates an incredibly good image.

Q3. OK that’s nice and all, but this project sounds pretty ambitious. I’ve seen tons of projects that go nowhere. When do you expect to finish all of this?
A3. Now. As in literally right now. It’s done. Enjoy.

vanner64

Re: Dragon Ball: A Seed of Might Release

Post by vanner64 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:45 am

Anyone interested in learning more about Seed of Might or checking out our other fan-created works can search for “Seed of Might” on Twitter.
We post samples of our work, announce when projects are completed, and occasionally share technical lessons on things like audio/video information. Our Discord is also linked in the Twitter bio for anyone looking to ask more in-depth questions.

We have a YouTube as well with only a few videos, but we’ll have more in the future based on the kinds of things people want to see. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-1OH ... Nk1UjpUoWg

Regarding any kind of feedback on our Dragon Ball Project, it is already in its final state and we are not looking for suggestions. Trust me when I say this, we’ve debated every aspect of the audio, video, and subtitles well beyond the level most people would care to notice. Each decision was reached via solid evidence and critical reasoning.

That being said, if anyone does notice any true errors, such as an audio track out of sync, garbled video due to an encoding issue, or subtitles drastically out of place, let us know where you saw the problem. While we like to believe we’ve caught all these problems, it’s possible something slipped by when you consider the length of the series multiplied by the different audio and subtitle tracks that were checked. Again, we’re not looking for opinionated suggestions that the colors don’t match your memory of the Orange Bricks or Season Sets YouTube clips.

Anyone is free to use this footage as they like for clips, Dragon Ball analysis video essays, fan-edits, etc. and all we ask for in return is: 1) A mention as credits, 2) Ensure your work isn’t presented in a way that confuses people into thinking it’s one of our projects. We hope you are all excited with what we’ve presented here and we’re equally as excited to see what fans may come up with from this.

ZeroIsOurHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroIsOurHero » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:19 am

Hell yeah, it's finally done! Now when are you gonna be done with Z? :wink:

Seriously though, this is awesome! If I ever get a Blu-ray burner, the first thing I'm doing is transferring this beauty of a project to disc. I think I'll call it "Dragon Ball: The Eternal Edition".

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:07 pm

After well over a decade of no talent hacks "correcting" one frame so they can post online for clout and endless """arguing""" between them, a group with actual skill finally does a real relase. It's beautiful. Thank you, truly.

SuperGhostKamikaze
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperGhostKamikaze » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:44 am

Thank you so much, I've been following the progress of this project for so long. I want you know that all the fans who truly appreciate the dragon ball franchise are very grateful for what the team has done. A lot of fans may not understand how big of an accomplishment this is but it is nothing less of spectacular. This will something I will keep on my hard drive forever!

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:40 pm

Looks amazing, incredible work. The color grading on this is superb, the best DB has ever looked by far.

goku1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by goku1234 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:52 pm

that sound cool and all but where is the video of full show???

DonCanjas

Re: Dragon Ball - Finally Fully Color Corrected

Post by DonCanjas » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:50 am

Amazing work! By far the best work anyone has ever done and being complete is simply incredible. I'm so used to these colors, that some color changes feel weird at first, like Bulma's hair actually being more on the blue side.

ikaos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ikaos » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:51 pm

goku1234 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:52 pm that sound cool and all but where is the video of full show???
We've given you a lot of words that you could plug into Google to find this release.

Someoneimportant

Post by Someoneimportant » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:23 pm

This is what the Dragon Box should have been.

Thank you, Seed of Might.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:34 am

Thank you so much for all of your hard work. Looks incredible on my OLED.

vanner64

Post by vanner64 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:53 am

Captain Awesome wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:34 am Thank you so much for all of your hard work. Looks incredible on my OLED.
Glad to hear it. If you don't mind me asking, what is the resolution of that OLED screen?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:00 am

vanner64 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:53 am
Captain Awesome wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:34 am Thank you so much for all of your hard work. Looks incredible on my OLED.
Glad to hear it. If you don't mind me asking, what is the resolution of that OLED screen?
It's an LG C2 so 4k.

So far I've only watched a few episodes via Infuse on my Apple TV 4K and it looks great - but there's no support for anything like spline36 sadly.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:16 am

Captain Awesome wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:00 am
It's an LG C2 so 4k.

So far I've only watched a few episodes via Infuse on my Apple TV 4K and it looks great - but there's no support for anything like spline36 sadly.
Won't spline36 work if you watch via a pc and use hdmi onto your tv?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:52 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:16 am

It's an LG C2 so 4k.

Won't spline36 work if you watch via a pc and use hdmi onto your tv?
They’re in separate rooms. I’ve got MPV on my Mac mini and it looks great but not so much better that I’d move any hardware around.

vanner64

Post by vanner64 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:31 am

It's an LG C2 so 4k.

Thanks. I'm glad more people are realizing how good this looks even on a 4K screen.

Someoneimportant

Post by Someoneimportant » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:54 pm

It's an LG C2 so 4k.

Infuse uses a modified lanczos scaler it should give you near the same scaling as optimized spline36 would, so unless you are less than a foot from the screen you won't be able to tell a difference between spline36 and the scaler infuses uses which is modified lanczos

goku1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by goku1234 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:40 pm

ikaos wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:51 pm
goku1234 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:52 pm that sound cool and all but where is the video of full show???
We've given you a lot of words that you could plug into Google to find this release.
"what???" not sure what u meant??

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:41 am

Someoneimportant wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:54 pm

It's an LG C2 so 4k.

Infuse uses a modified lanczos scaler it should give you near the same scaling as optimized spline36 would, so unless you are less than a foot from the screen you won't be able to tell a difference between spline36 and the scaler infuses uses which is modified lanczos
Having now watched 4 episodes on my C2 I have to agree. Looks absolutely amazing.

Laeeq

Post by Laeeq » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:39 am

Hi! How do I get access to this?