Dragon Ball Nostalgia Kai: 90s Dub Fan Edit

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DemonJr

Dragon Ball Nostalgia Kai: 90s Dub Fan Edit

Post by DemonJr » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:58 am

Honestly, I hated the Kai dub. I hated it so much I made this fan edit for my own consumption. But as I was going, I realized that I was actually making what I believe to be the way I would like to watch DBZ. A definitive cut if you will.

The main idea was to use the Ocean Dub and original 90s Funimation dub to recreate the way I saw DBZ as a kid in the 90s. Back then they switched dubs as it was airing, a bit jarring as a kid, I never knew why. But it always stuck with me.

The voice acting of the Ocean Dub was honestly my favourite. But very close behind was the original 90s Funi dub that had some amazing VA moments, both funny and poignant.

Kai destroyed all this. Voice acting is fairly flat, and most of the iconic scenes were watered down or anticlimactic in many instances. Not to mention the redraws and colouring.

So I made this nostalgia edit.

But that wasn't my only aim. As I was going, I realized I didn't just want to cut filler, I wanted to keep filler too. In order to flesh out certain characters/relationships for deeper payoffs later. I wanted to tighten up the fight scenes. I also wanted to rearrange certain things.

Especially on Namek, the story bounces around between various characters, but I wanted it to remain more focused on particular characters for longer. This adds a new kind of intensity that I think most fans will enjoy.

I used various footage for this, the Ocean dub was a remastered version, the Funi dub was the uncensored version. The quality is slightly lower with the Ocean dub unfortunately. However my aim was never for the highest quality images. It's more about the story, the pacing and action for me. Though I've done everything I can to produce high quality footage.

The edits took the form of "movies" to make binge watching easier. And each one covers certain arcs within each saga so that you can pick up wherever takes your fancy.

MISTAKES:

The first couple of parts, the editing can be a tad scuffed here and there, but without tooting my horn to much, I think I did pretty well as an amateur.

You can definitely tell the editing gets better as it goes along (if you're savvy to video editing). But honestly this was never meant to be perfect. And I cba going back and changing it just yet. Maybe in the future I'll work out some of the small kinks if enough people complain about it.

One of the most egregious mistakes is that I forgot to add the scene where Yajirobe goes to help Goku, so he just randomly appears during the Vegeta fight. Which really annoyed me! I only realized after rendering. It doesn't detract from much but thought it was worth mentioning.

You can find this edit on Vimeo if you search "Dragon Ball Nostalgia Kai". There I will be uploading fresh parts over the next couple of weeks. I really hope you guys enjoy this. Any feedback or constructive criticism is welcome. I will also be updating here and on my twitter where you can follow me for all my other projects as well.

COMPLETED PARTS:

DBNK: Part 1 - Enter Raditz
DBNK: Part 2 - Gohan's Journey
DBNK: Part 3 - Attack of The Saiyans
DBNK: Part 4 - The Prince's Fall
DBNK: Part 5 - Battle on Planet Namek
DBNK: Part 6 - The Unstoppable Ginyu Force
DBNK: Part 7 - The Summoning of Porunga
DBNK: Part 8 - (WIP)

VtheGreat1

Re: Dragon Ball Nostalgia Kai: 90s Dub Fan Edit

Post by VtheGreat1 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:52 am

Hey, I looked on Vimeo and it said that the videos don't exist on Vimeo anymore. Did they get deleted or something?