Which villains could resist Babidi's mind control?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Which villains could resist Babidi's mind control?

Post by Yuji » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:20 am

I've always wondered if it's a battle power resistance or a mentality thing. Could Cell or Freeza resist it like Vegeta did? What about Moro or Goku Black?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Which villains could resist Babidi's mind control?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:40 am

It will never work on Zamasu.

Individuals with a strong enough will are able to resist Babidi's mind control, this is proven by Vegeta, who resist Babidi's mind control thanks to his Saiyan pride, and even Dabura (who eventually turned on Majin Buu against Babidi's command).

Zamasu's will is the strongest, it has no rivals. After his physical death, Zamasu literally willed himself to merge with the very fabric of the Cosmos and his will spread across the entire reality. On top of this, Zamasu is a Kai, the Kais are shown to be very knowledgeable of magic (see Grand Supreme Kai sealing away Moro's magic with hax), so Zamasu, with his Supreme Kai knowledge, will find a way to resist Babidi's mind control.

Moro will also find a way. He is not a Kai, but he is a sorcerer, he will have some kind of hax or spell to resist mind-control.

Babidi's mind control couldn't even work on a saiyan (saiyan have no innate magical capabilities), there's no way it's working on Zamasu or Moro. Narratively, Zamasu and Moro will be given some kind of power to resist mind-control, because it makes sense for them to have this ability narrative-wise (Zamasu being a Supreme Kai, Moro being a sorcerer himself).

Meanwhile, Cell and Frieza have no innate magical capabilities or magical knowledge, so they would probably fall under the mind-control... their only chance of breaking out is through pride/brute strength.

It seems like the only people who were fully controlled by Babidi were the two fodder earthlings and the two fodder aliens that were easily defeated by Goku and Vegeta.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:49 am

It's my headcanon, but I think the reason why Vegeta resisted Babidi's control is because when offered the opportunity to become stronger, Vegeta had a desire to put it towards a certain purpose...and he was hellbent on achieving that purpose. All of the other minions that Babidi had gathered may have joined simply by the allure of greater power, not having any particular reason in mind to use it against as they all just wanted to become stronger in general. With Vegeta though, it was not necessarily the concept of being the strongest that drove him to endlessly train and crave even more power, but being the de facto strongest between he & Goku at the time. While Babidi may have believed that he was obtaining a new, powerful minion in making Vegeta a Majin, he was unaware that he was actually granting Vegeta's greatest wish and finally meeting that one being who would expose the limitation of his control.
I guess if any other villain happened to have a specific reason behind their lust for power, they might be able to resist Babidi's control too.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:51 pm

I don't think it's only a power level thing. I mean, sure, Babidi is not controlling Toppo, but Dabura was compared to Perfect Cell and I doubt pre-Majin Vegeta was much stronger than he was, or perhaps the threshold is right there and with some willpower, if you are around that level, can end up resisting it.
Dabura never actually resisted the mind control, he never turned on Babidi, he turned on Buu because he thought Buu was eventually going to be a threat to Babidi, and he was not wrong.

Buu was never controlled that way, though, so perhaps he is at a level of power that the mind control no longer applies, no matter your willpower, because Fat Buu didn't strike me as a somebody with a strong will.

Anyway, there seems to be a level of power the technique is rendered useless, so stronger-than-Buu characters should definitely be able to resist it.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:19 pm

DBZ Broly could have able too.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:40 pm

The sorcerery Babidi uses to control people is described as penetrating into the 'heart crevices' of an evil heart. I think it operates on mechanics absent power level or strength. It has to do with state of mind, impulse and will. Maybe the aspects of a person's neurobiology that have to do with impulse control, empathy and positive emotions as a whole are suppressed while the nefarious or selfish impulses are hyper-stimulated; with a strong desire to obey and adhere to Babidi's commands being injected into the mix, of course. For someone to resist it would probably be the equivalent of a vulnerable alcoholic being surrounded by kegs and the smell of booze as they're told not to give in and have a drink.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:04 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:19 pm DBZ Broly could have able too.
That's what I thought too. We saw him breaking free from Paragus' mind control and Towa's with the mask so I guess if your will is strong enough you can resist it.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:00 pm

Frieza will resist.
Cell will resist being artificially programmed.
Beerus will kick Babidi small arse the same moment Babidi think of it.
Frost will not resist, Hit will probably resist. Botamo will not resist, Magenta cannot be mind controlled. Cabba will break mind control after a while, finding how to turn SS3 by hearing someone just quote it.
Monaka will be not controlled being so strong.
Toppo will resist.
Strangely, Jiren could have been controlled. It look like he'll sell his mother to win.
Moro will probably resist, the story imply is a sorcerer even stronger than Babidi, even if that wa totally forgot by Moro himself after some page. All of his henchemen, except for androids, would be controlled instead.
Granolah will *not* resist, if Babidi offered a way to destroy Sayans and Frieza.
Gas will *not* resist. He's really gullible.
Zamasu will be not controlled, and in the end decide to make another wish, travel in time, marry Babidi mother, generate a Zamasubidi hybrid, fuse with it to gain the power of controlling people mind, so he go back into another timeline and control Vegeta to force a fusion with him to gain UE and rebuke to Vegeta punching him by becoming a bit stronger and way more purple, but totally unaware of how the whole power work, still generating a large set of devote fans across the web.

As a rule of thumb: is a plot device, it work when you want for.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.