What if Masako Nozawa dies? (God forbid)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

What if Masako Nozawa dies? (God forbid)

Post by DBZ Expert » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:55 pm

The lady is 86 years old. Will Dragon Ball continue after that? And if so, what will happen with Goku?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: What if Masako Nozawa dies? (God forbid)

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:33 pm

DBZ Expert wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:55 pm The lady is 86 years old. Will Dragon Ball continue after that? And if so, what will happen with Goku?
After a period of mourning a different actor will eventually play Son Gokuu in future projects that require new voice lines. That's all there is to it.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:54 pm

The Lupin the 3rd series was able to move on after Yasuo Yamada and Kiyoshi Kobayashi passed away. Dragon Ball would do the same thing too.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:13 pm

The role of Bulma has already had to be replaced as a result of her original voice actress, Hiromi Tsuru tragically passing away at only age 57. A few more of the original voice actors such as the ones that voiced the roles of Roshi & Kaio-sama, sadly passed on due to old age and had to be replaced as well. It hurts to lose great talents in the arts, but the show must go on. Masako has stated that she intends to voice Goku for years longer, but she or the team may find someone who could serve as a temporary replacement and from there, could become the permanent one if Masako ever does decide to pass the torch.
I firmly believe that Dragonball will never die. If characters like Superman can have a franchise that has lasted 85 years and counting, we'll continue to see Goku for a long time as well.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:40 am

This thread is in the wrong section. This section is for in universe discussion, as in the plot itself and the characters within it, not behind the scenes stuff like this.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:48 am

theherodjl wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:13 pm The role of Bulma has already had to be replaced as a result of her original voice actress, Hiromi Tsuru tragically passing away at only age 57. A few more of the original voice actors such as the ones that voiced the roles of Roshi & Kaio-sama, sadly passed on due to old age and had to be replaced as well. It hurts to lose great talents in the arts, but the show must go on. Masako has stated that she intends to voice Goku for years longer, but she or the team may find someone who could serve as a temporary replacement and from there, could become the permanent one if Masako ever does decide to pass the torch.
I firmly believe that Dragonball will never die. If characters like Superman can have a franchise that has lasted 85 years and counting, we'll continue to see Goku for a long time as well.
If you mean Kohei Miyauchi, he died at 65 which isn't too much older than Bulma's seiyuu. Dying of old age is where someone passes to no identifiable cause other than their body just giving out and is usually more a 95+ thing. Before then there's almost always an identifiable cause (stroke, heart attack, cancer).
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:04 am

Not to be that guy and be a pretend moderator..but we recently had a topic less than a month ago about the Japanese cast in general. General consensus seems to be that they will just move on and replace her. Nature of the business. Especially with an older series like Dragon Ball

viewtopic.php?t=48250
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:11 am

A few years ago I would have said as Aya Hisakawa took over the role of the late Hiromi Tsuru as Bulma so too would Masako Nozawa have a successor whenever her time comes.

Now with the rise of AI I fear that TOEI will avail of the technology to recreate Goku's voice as a way of getting around having to recast such an iconic role.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:32 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:11 am A few years ago I would have said as Aya Hisakawa took over the role of the late Hiromi Tsuru as Bulma so too would Masako Nozawa have a successor whenever her time comes.

Now with the rise of AI I fear that TOEI will avail of the technology to recreate Goku's voice as a way of getting around having to recast such an iconic role.
AI voices can't do human emontions and bots will never learn the true feelings of a living being.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:08 pm

AI is one of the scariest things in the world in recent years, and it needs to die a horrible death.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:38 am

We can only hope that AI will replace her considering the level of recasts. Except for Bulma's VA, every other replacement was a letdown.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:52 am

Knowing people, they will complain about Goku's new voice when the day comes, regardless of the quality, simply because (s)he's not Masako Nozawa.

The voice/acting can NEVER be exactly the same, even if they tried to find someone who perfectly imitates her, and just because it will not be EXACTLY the same, (most) people will say "no, it's not what I've always known, it sucks" by default.

Sadly, most people get stuck on the originals and will accept no compromise, no alternative, as anything different is something that alters their original perception and they want the original perception as it always was.

So I say Goku's new voice will probably be very nice, while perhaps taking a bit of time to get used to after decades, which is only natural. But people will generally find it terrible, outrageous, abysmal and probably say that "the real Goku is no more" and some might even say that they won't ever watch any new material again because of that.

I feel sorry for the voice actor/actress that will have to take over and suffer all the "(s)he's no Nozawa!!", "(s)he's not Goku!!" despite probably doing a good job!

I know I will welcome them with open arms when the time comes, although I hope the legendary Nozawa can still perform our good old Goku for as much time as possible, as long as she still has the energy for it! (wouldn't want to have a case of Kaio at the beginning of Super, who couldn't perform well enough anymore).

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:27 am

There will be a recast of Goku when Nozawa steps down or passes away. I don't wish it, but it's inevitable.

I have a feeling her advanced age is potentially one of the reasons DB isn't seeing a long-form TV anime right now. I kind of doubt we'll see another one until there's a recast.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:26 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:32 pmbots will never learn the true feelings of a living being.
I don't know how you can possibly make a definitive statement to that effect. Every time we think there's something special and magical about ourselves, we figure out a way to break it down and realize it isn't as special as we thought. With enough advancement, it's probably inevitable until it's ubiquitous and indistinguishable from the real thing. What we already have now I'm sure would've been thought impossible a few years ago, or at least a lot further off than it ended up being. The human ego will continue to shift the ever-receding goalposts until it undeniably exceeds our own capability.

I think you could probably get something pretty close with AI now, actually. AI can replicate emotion with the technology Lucasfilm uses, where one actor reads the lines and the AI goes over it and puts someone else's voice over it (already being used as of a few years ago with young Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader more recently). There's already amateur, homemade AI song covers all over YouTube where emotion was able to be captured. Even if we're not there yet, as much as is available today I don't know how you can say something will never happen when that exact thing appears quite close. Maybe AI genuinely feeling emotions is decades or more off, but replicating it with audio and fooling the human ear by emulating the sounds that elicit emotions in humans? That's something different entirely and child's play in comparison.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ Expert » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:03 am

From Akira Toriyama and Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru intreview TV Anime Guide: Dragon Ball Z Son Goku Densetsu (released in 2003)

"Nowadays, I can't think of anyone other than Masako Nozawa to voice Goku".

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:28 pm

AI is not only creepy, it’s also a very gross concept that puts actual artists out of work, and can easily be used in ways that can be seen as exploitative. There’s a reason AI has been one of the big sticking points in the Hollywood strikes going on right now.

Also, this should be in the general discussions board.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:55 pm

I mean, when the point comes where Nozawa is (either due to age, health or whatever reason) no longer able to voice Goku, Gohan, Goten and others either with retiring or passing it's definitely going to be the end of an era. Whoever succeeds her going forward is going to have some VERY big shoes to fill and that's not an understatement. I hope when they eventually do recast the roles her successor whoever it ends up being is able to live up to the precedent she's set for nearly 40 years of being the voices of the Son family, but even then it's likely not going to be a smooth or seamless transition either. Even if they go for trying to match as close to her voice as possible it's NEVER going to be the same. We've had cases before where one of the big name seiyuus of the series died, like with Daisuke Gori back in 2010 and his successor the now since passed Unsho Ishizuka (Dr. Ookido/Oak, Pokemon. Jett, Cowboy Bebop.etc) and his successor after felt like a step down from the distinct poweful, gutteral performance that Gori had for characters like Mr. Satan, Gyumao/Ox King among others. To a lesser degree was Sailor Mercury's (Ami's) seiyuu succeeding Hiromi Tsuru as Bulma after her tragic passing and while not quite the same she's done fairly well in the role since then. Plus of course all of Roshi's voices since Kohei Miyauchi passed back in 1995 have been at varying degrees but none of them (Even Masaharu Sato, arguably the most decent of the recasts) have been able to recapture quite the same warm tone he carried.

So, i'm just hoping that whenever the time comes that Nozawa is gone, that whoever succeeds her can pick up and carry on in the wake of the legacy she has held though it's definitely not going to be the same.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:36 pm

Masako Nozawa seems to be in impeccable health for a woman of her age. She's the highest paid JP voice actor if this article is to be believed.
https://fandomwire.com/japans-highest-p ... lack-adam/
She also mentioned that she can continue to play Goku until "[she's] at least 110." I think she'll stay around for quite a while longer.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:49 am

Goku would be recast. This is a franchise that makes too much money to be halted by the death of one VA, as cold as that is to say.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:31 am

639 episodes (not counting a 167 episode recut of the most popular series)

21 movies

3 tv specials

Some Yu-gi-oh esque advertainment...thing

A buttload of video games

Please tell me why this franchise needs to go on even before she dies?

"What if Masako Nozawa dies!?"

Hopefully the franchise is finally laid to rest before that happens