Do you like Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Do you like Super?

Post by Kappa » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:10 pm

I got sick of the manga.
Last edited by Kappa on Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Do you like Super?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:13 pm

Yeah, I think it's a fun series. It's not perfect, but I do like it more than GT. Super still has Toriyama's finger prints on it and feels like a follow up to DBZ than GT did IMO. I also went into it with low expecations than I did with GT.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:21 pm

I like it when I want something where I can turn my brain off and just relax. I wanted new Dragon Ball for many years after the series left Toonami UK in 2005, I got that, so I accepted it warts and all. It was naturaly never going to be as good as the original run, but there's still a lot of fun to be had, and that's the most important thing.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:07 pm

As much as I enjoy having more Dragon Ball content, Super has been such a letdown. While I consider the original Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z to be a masterpiece series that will stand the test of time and inspire many generations of storytellers and fans to come. Dragon Ball Super is just so awful for me, that I know that one day when I force myself to do a rewatch it is going to be beyond painful. Besides like a 10-episode span in the Goku Black Arc, the show completely fails to tell a compelling story.

There are a few things I did like kind of I guess....

1.Super Saiyan Blue looks kind of cool....
2.Norihito Sumitomo's score at the beginning of Super sucked, but as the show went on it got really really good. I think he has earned his rightful place in the pantheon of great Dragon Ball composers. I did like his score for the Majin Boo Arc of Kai as well.
3.Good fight scenes...sometimes when the animation wasn't a rushed mess.
4.Appreciated some of the environments they visited and new places that expanded the lore of the Dragon World.
5.Dragon Ball Super Broly was a landmark achievement in animation/direction for the series.

But other than ....I would argue that Super is pretty awful, and arguably worse than Dragon Ball GT, which is also a slog...

The Tournament of Power Arc I suspect is one of the worst arcs in Shonen battle anime history. There is pretty much nothing going on there, and a rewatch would be so torturous, it might not be doable.

Another thing that is awful about Super is the show fails to successfully rotate the cast. I think the original Dragon Ball Manga, (Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z) did a great job of keeping the show fresh by always introducing new characters and integrating them as major players in an arc. Super just doesn't do that. It gets bland very quickly watching the Goku and Vegeta show while Beerus and Whis stand on the sidelines and complain all day. Also, way too many rehashed ideas from the original Dragon Ball/ Dragon Ball Z. At least GT had some cool and interesting ideas!!!

That all being said, I do hope that the show continues because I feel like they haven't really given the new elements they have introduced a definitive ending. Or if you are a manga fan, it might just end with manga only, but at least we will have an idea of how it all ends?

3/10 Rating for Dragon Ball Super for me. If you like Super, please don't let me try and take away any enjoyment it brought you, this is just my thoughts on the series.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:15 pm

I think a lot of the new transformations look really cool, especially the new Saiyan forms. My favorite part of the greater Dragon Ball Super era has been the introduction of Caulifla, Kale and Ribrianne. I really enjoyed watching those three in the 2015 animated series, especially as we saw the former two get to be a heavily-coded as a Sapphic couple. I also really enjoyed the Dragon Ball Super films, despite their flaws, especially considering how downright sexy they made Broli. The character dynamic between Broli and Cheelai was so cute, too. I wish that Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero had been smarter about using Broli and Cheelai, as well as how it used Pan.

I really don't think the flaws of Dragon Ball Super are any different than the flaws shared by the 1984 comic series and 1980s animated series, either. It seems to me that all four have very obvious and easy fix flaws, so I don't really consider one to be better than the other, save for minor improements that Dragon Ball Super makes that are a result of there being fresh blood involved with those specific projects.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:50 pm

Kappa wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:10 pm I got sick of it after a while. I hope it ends soon. (I still like Z and GT though).
It ended already. I dont want to sound mean but this is already over. Dont be so salty.

And I cant hate Super.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:59 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:50 pm
Kappa wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:10 pm I got sick of it after a while. I hope it ends soon. (I still like Z and GT though).
It ended already. I dont want to sound mean but this is already over. Dont be so salty.

And I cant hate Super.
I mean the manga is still ongoing. And we got a new movie just recently. While the show has been off the air for over half a decade, it's hard for me to really think of DBS as being "over" when new content is still coming out.

As for the question, it very much depends on the arc.
I outright disliked the movie retellings and think they actively made Battle of Gods worse in pretty much every way. (F just kinda... existed.)
The Universe 6 tournament had some fun ideas but was kinda let down by the production still being a mess at that point, resulting in generally still not great visuals to make those fun ideas really come to life.
The Future Trunks arc angers me on a level that few arcs in fiction have ever managed to.
The Tournament of Power was certainly overlong and Jiren was not an interesting character or opponent... But it also had some genuinely great moments whenever Ultra Instinct showed up, and it had a fantastic ending.
The Broly movie is good.
Super Hero is also good.

I have not read the manga-exclusive arcs yet and cannot comment on them.

...All of this I guess boils down to, I like about half of Super?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:58 pm

I don't get the feels from it in the same way I got from DB, DBZ, or even the end of GT, but it's still a fun ride. It's worth the time spent to watch all 131 episodes.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:05 pm

I wish we'd gotten a version of it that wasn't rushed out the door but as it is its a serviceable show but feels so inessential and safe.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:39 pm

And I cant hate Super.
Bro, I'm talking about the manga... It's not over.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:39 pm

Kappa wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:39 pm

And I cant hate Super.
Bro, I'm talking about the manga... It's not over.
I see. I apologize then.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Goe
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goe » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:46 am

I don't like it. Main reason is Bardock.

Before Bardock, I liked Super but less than DB and DBZ. Reasons:

1. I didn't like new transformations. IN DBZ, SSJ concept was original and surprising. In Super, not. After yellow hair, red hair, after red hair, blue hair, after blue hair, white hair...etc. I get tired of that.
2. I didn't like they resurrected Freezer, I would prefer new enemies, and I didn't like Freezer making team with Goku.

But I Spent nice times reading DBS manga after all (about the anime, I only watched a few chapters but when I watched it, I found the manga better). I specially liked Black Goku saga. For me, the best to worst ranking was:

DB-DBZ
DBS
DBGT

However, when they created a Bardock story that is totally contradictory with the 1990 TV special, I stopped liking Super since I am a huge (old) Bardock fan since the 90s.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:24 am

Nope. It felt like warmed left overs from Z.
No stakes, playing it way too safe and when your main transformations are just color swaps you know there's an originality problem.
Not to mention the fact how the ToP dragged on and on. Combine that with the fact that we knew the Z team would survive and you have a clear tension problem.

Say what you want about Heroes but the fact that the anime has a longer lifespan than Super's says something.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:29 am

Majin Man 101 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:07 pm 2.Norihito Sumitomo's score at the beginning of Super sucked, but as the show went on it got really really good. I think he has earned his rightful place in the pantheon of great Dragon Ball composers. I did like his score for the Majin Boo Arc of Kai as well.
Second on Sumitomo's music getting better as Super went on. I went through the same arc of thinking it was awful at first to it growing on me as it got better (The Super Saiyan Blue theme was the first piece of his that I liked and things picked up from there). He definitely earned his place on that pantheon.

In fact, Super in general gets better as it goes on, to the point where the Universe Survival Saga approaches being good. The show was frontloaded with some of its worst aspects but managed to somewhat overcome that.

That being said, it's still a very flawed follow up; with pacing and characterization being some of the bigger issues (At times DBS Goku feels like an uncanny valley version of himself).

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:35 am

No. Even if they went ground running with the U6 / U7 tournament first instead of wasting our hype with 26 episodes rehashing Battle of Gods and Ressurrection F, I still wouldn't have liked it by the end. In the U6 / U7 Tournament, I wouldn't have complained, but I wouldn't have liked Buu being written out, and everyone in U6 except Hit being jobbers, and Goku and Vegeta being the only worthwhile fighters on U7. And the way the Zamasu arc ended still would have pissed me off. And I still would have given up watching the Universe Survival Arc about a third in because it had gotten monotonous.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:55 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:35 am No. Even if they went ground running with the U6 / U7 tournament first instead of wasting our hype with 26 episodes rehashing Battle of Gods and Ressurrection F, I still wouldn't have liked it by the end. In the U6 / U7 Tournament, I wouldn't have complained, but I wouldn't have liked Buu being written out, and everyone in U6 except Hit being jobbers, and Goku and Vegeta being the only worthwhile fighters on U7. And the way the Zamasu arc ended still would have pissed me off. And I still would have given up watching the Universe Survival Arc about a third in because it had gotten monotonous.
Also some good points. Super had a chance to develop other characters such as Buu and Goten+Trunks but decided to become the Goku and Vegeta show, except for moments when they rehashed the "Gohan needs his power back" storyline.

If you told me we'd get a sequel set after the battle with Buu ten years ago I would be excited at that prospect. Look at the roster. We have Goku, who perhaps could have mastered SSJ3, Gohan is on top of his game after having his potential unlocked, Gotenks, who's incredibly strong but had a ton of room for character development as well as the good Buu, who's still very strong in his own right while also having unique powers. Sounds very cool.

Instead, SSJ3 is barely used and we get different hair colors, Gohan basically gets shoved to the background, Gotenks appears in the series for what, a minute? and Goten/Trunks are put on a bus while we get the far, far weaker humans (Who let's be honest, didn't even matter power wise since the Cell saga) suddenly being strong again. Good Buu? Well, he gets written off in dumb ways during the important fights.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:02 pm

Jord wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:55 pm
FoolsGil wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:35 am No. Even if they went ground running with the U6 / U7 tournament first instead of wasting our hype with 26 episodes rehashing Battle of Gods and Ressurrection F, I still wouldn't have liked it by the end. In the U6 / U7 Tournament, I wouldn't have complained, but I wouldn't have liked Buu being written out, and everyone in U6 except Hit being jobbers, and Goku and Vegeta being the only worthwhile fighters on U7. And the way the Zamasu arc ended still would have pissed me off. And I still would have given up watching the Universe Survival Arc about a third in because it had gotten monotonous.
Also some good points. Super had a chance to develop other characters such as Buu and Goten+Trunks but decided to become the Goku and Vegeta show, except for moments when they rehashed the "Gohan needs his power back" storyline.

If you told me we'd get a sequel set after the battle with Buu ten years ago I would be excited at that prospect. Look at the roster. We have Goku, who perhaps could have mastered SSJ3, Gohan is on top of his game after having his potential unlocked, Gotenks, who's incredibly strong but had a ton of room for character development as well as the good Buu, who's still very strong in his own right while also having unique powers. Sounds very cool.

Instead, SSJ3 is barely used and we get different hair colors, Gohan basically gets shoved to the background, Gotenks appears in the series for what, a minute? and Goten/Trunks are put on a bus while we get the far, far weaker humans (Who let's be honest, didn't even matter power wise since the Cell saga) suddenly being strong again. Good Buu? Well, he gets written off in dumb ways during the important fights.
What? It's the end of Z where Gohan was shoved into the background after Toriyama realized he's not suited for the role of main character. Super reconciled both sides of Gohan in a very satisfying way.

It may be the Goku and Vegeta show, but even that feels like a refreshing change of pace since the lead role isn't one character but now two.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:05 pm

I love it even a bit more than the original series/manga.

It's the same, but with the benefit of having all the background from the original story to start with and making it even more and more complete as it goes on.
Plus characters being updated and rehabilitated from their outdated "Z" representation (Freeza, C-17, C-18, Future Trunks, Pilaf, Mai, Gohan, Bardack, Piccolo, Kame Sennin, Broly...).

More background stories, more universe lore, more fighting skills being developed, more relationships evolving...

It retroactively makes the original even more enjoyable knowing the later developments in Super.
Now when I read or see the first arc with Pilaf and co, I have special affection for them knowing they'll be part of the family.
Now when I see the battle against Freeza on Namek, I like that it's just the childish premices of an untrained overpowered tyrant bound to become much smarter and more patient in the future rather than being a tantrum-enthusiast whenever things don't go his way.
Now when I see C-17 being a rebelious teen, I know he'll later come back more stylish than ever with a mature, cold, no-nonsense attitude but definitely caring for life as a whole.
Etc, etc, for all characters involved in Super.

Everything is just much grander, most of it revolving around gods and the divine and universal/dimensional impacts, and yet it all feels like the perfectly natural continuation storywise, with volume 1 of Super being volume 43 (or 35 for the Kanzenban) of the original and continuing the escalation double time.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:31 pm

Super did give us a lot of cool new original ideas. While the show did rehash some older stuff, but at least it try to be different. Moro did rehash Piccolo Daimao and Cell, but I still felt like the character was still cool on his own merit. No different with Baby in GT with everyone liking him despite being a rehash of Cell, Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, and Saiyan Saga & Majin Vegeta.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:26 pm

DBS Manga I enjoy it a lot. I rank it 9/10 a high score.

DBS Anime made by Toei I enjoyed some episode, but majority of them were bad so it wasn't enjoyable. I rank it 4/10.