Toei is throwing uncut and improved dubs at every OLD franchise of theirs (Would you like some for Dragon Ball?)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Toei is throwing uncut and improved dubs at every OLD franchise of theirs (Would you like some for Dragon Ball?)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:44 pm

I know, the entire franchise has "already" (Already in the loosest sense of the word since most of these dubs SUCK) one. Mr Vegetto Ex has made very clear he himself is not interested in one as he is NOT a dub person. (Which I must stress I am NOT CONDEMNING him by saying this. He's awesome and Kanzenshuu is awesome. I have loads of fun and he fosters a great forum where most people can talk and discuss) But since that question was made a lot of time ago I will ask again. Do you want a more modern dub for each old Dragon Ball series (OG, and Z and even GT if you want.) I ask this so you wont get burdened with "Is this possible/Necessary" No. The question here is "Would you want one?" but we can also discuss if its possible and what other factors there may be.

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/statu ... 78016?s=46

This was inspired by Discotek getting most of the Fox Kids cast of Digimon to dub the movies that were infamously merged into one years ago as well as the Netflix Saint Seiya dub, not to mention Sailor Moon.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ZeroIsOurHero
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Toei is throwing uncut and improved dubs at every OLD franchise of theirs (Would you like some for Dragon Ball?)

Post by ZeroIsOurHero » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:06 pm

Hmm, that’s a hard one to answer. I mean, in a vacuum, I would prefer a more accurate dub, but various circumstances make it hard to recommend now.

First of all, it’s very rare to see an uncut, complete dub of an anime get completely replaced, no matter how inaccurate it is. The only two examples I can remember off the top of my head are Evangelion and Akira, and those were more due to rights issues than anything. Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Digimon and One Piece were redubbed for the sake of having an uncut dub of the entire series, and Dragon Ball already has that (although its accuracy varies wildly).

Second of all, the original run of Dragon Ball, from the original series all the way to GT, is very long (508 episodes if I remember correctly). The only anime redub that’s come even close to that length is Funimation’s One Piece, and that’s a work in progress for a series that’s still ongoing. Dragon Ball is done, and I doubt any company wants to put years of work into redubbing it.

And finally, the English-speaking Dragon Ball fandom as a whole is just too attached to the current dub. Aside from the hardcore fans who frequent sites like this, most fans in the Anglosphere watch the series almost exclusively through Funimation’s dubs. For them, Sean Schemmel IS Goku, Chris Sabat IS Vegeta, and all the wild rewrites are just how the show is supposed to be. If another licensing company attempted to make a “better” dub, the casual DB fandom would be furious: just look at what happened with the Netflix dub of Evangelion.

So basically, if the dub of Dragon Ball was accurate from the beginning, I would absolutely prefer that over what we actually have. But if they started making an accurate DB dub right now, that would be too much of a can of worms to be worth it IMO.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Toei is throwing uncut and improved dubs at every OLD franchise of theirs (Would you like some for Dragon Ball?)

Post by Tian » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:50 pm

Personally I would like to see the movies being redubbed in our Latin American Spanish dub with a more varied cast, specially for the Movie Bosses.

The script and acting of the movie dubs we've got are great but I feel those movies' dubs could have stand out more from the series' dubs with the participation of voice actors who have never been in Dragon Ball at that time.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:40 pm

Tian wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:50 pm Personally I would like to see the movies being redubbed in our Latin American Spanish dub with a more varied cast, specially for the Movie Bosses.

The script and acting of the movie dubs we've got are great but I feel those movies' dubs could have stand out more from the series' dubs with the participation of voice actors who have never been in Dragon Ball at that time.
This is for dubs in English. The Latin American dubs already are competent and well made and would literally lose more than they would gain by redubbing them...

... Except the first Broly movie, the Z one. That one had bizarre casting.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:23 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:40 pm
Tian wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:50 pm Personally I would like to see the movies being redubbed in our Latin American Spanish dub with a more varied cast, specially for the Movie Bosses.

The Latin American dubs already are competent and well made and would literally lose more than they would gain by redubbing them...
Have I said the movie dubs we got were crap? No. I even acknowledged they were great both script and acting wise because Gloria Rocha's direction style was one of the best in Mexican dubbing.

But... her casting style, didn't age well... In fact, the choices from her limited voice talent pool have been somewhat problematic to newer directors when it comes to replacements.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:37 pm

It’s not going to happen, and I don’t think I’d be interested in it either. Dubs in general are less of a necessity than they used to be.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:17 pm

I'm kind of two minds about it. On one hand, it would be really cool to see another English Dub, that is like, kind of free of all of Funimation's casting styles, or weird translation choices, or just general imprint on the franchise, and can just kinda be a accurate version of the original TV shows. But...who's the market for that really, who would watch it besides fans who care about that stuff, who already have the manga and subbed versions of the anime, it'd feel a little pointless.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:40 pm

Tian wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:23 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:40 pm

The Latin American dubs already are competent and well made and would literally lose more than they would gain by redubbing them...
Have I said the movie dubs we got were crap? No. I even acknowledged they were great both script and acting wise because Gloria Rocha's direction style was one of the best in Mexican dubbing.

But... her casting style, didn't age well... In fact, the choices from her limited voice talent pool have been somewhat problematic to newer directors when it comes to replacements.
I know you did but I want to make the intent of the thread clear.

EDIT: I will say I never had any problems with her casting and if you (Not just you, I mean other like Kei who didnt like Latin American Omega Shenron despite the Japanese one not being better at all.) disliked it so much you shouldnt even mind if someone she casted is replaced anyway. That should be nice for you. Or you meant more that people give the "Better replacements" the cold shoulder? Because people say the better actors that were cast on Kai (I have never agreed, I liked Rocha's cast) are better anyway, people dont give the replacements the cold shoulder.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:29 am

Made the full transition from being a dub fan to a full-on sub fan years ago, but I am absolutely not opposed to the idea of a redub of the original DB/Z/GT/Movies. I think it would be very good for dub fans to get an accurate script to fully so that they don't have a 40.00% inaccurate script that is dumbed way down for children. The acting in much of the original dubs is also very subpar, and not representative of how good the English voice actors have gotten over the years.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:32 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:40 pm EDIT: I will say I never had any problems with her casting and if you (Not just you, I mean other like Kei who didnt like Latin American Omega Shenron despite the Japanese one not being better at all.) disliked it so much you shouldnt even mind if someone she casted is replaced anyway. That should be nice for you. Or you meant more that people give the "Better replacements" the cold shoulder? Because people say the better actors that were cast on Kai (I have never agreed, I liked Rocha's cast) are better anyway, people dont give the replacements the cold shoulder.
I'm talking more about her "bad" habit of casting a single actor for several characters, which has led to a problematic situation for future directors whenever that single actor is no longer able to voice the characters.

Just think about it: Carlos Segundo quits > Segundo happened to voice several characters > New director has to recast Piccolo, Kami and Mr. Popo which takes more time and budget than just simply recasting Piccolo.

And it's really getting a bit tiring when something like this happens: "Oh no! X is unable to dub! Who's gonna voice A, B, C, D... and E?".

When it actually should be like this: "Oh no! X is unable to dub! Who's gonna voice his only character A?".

And no, I don't hate the whole original cast. I just don't agree with some casts she made and it has mainly to do with that habit I mentioned.

The other reason is that sometimes that single actor whom she casts to voice several characters doesn't have enough vocal range to cover all of them:

I don't really hate José Luis Castañeda but I think most of his important roles in the franchise were miscast: His Nappa, Gero and Omega sounded flat and not too different from each other and Burter sounded pretty old.

The only role I liked from him in the franchise was Kibito because fortunately, he had the ideal type of voice for that character.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:45 am

Tian wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:32 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:40 pm EDIT: I will say I never had any problems with her casting and if you (Not just you, I mean other like Kei who didnt like Latin American Omega Shenron despite the Japanese one not being better at all.) disliked it so much you shouldnt even mind if someone she casted is replaced anyway. That should be nice for you. Or you meant more that people give the "Better replacements" the cold shoulder? Because people say the better actors that were cast on Kai (I have never agreed, I liked Rocha's cast) are better anyway, people dont give the replacements the cold shoulder.
I'm talking more about her "bad" habit of casting a single actor for several characters, which has led to a problematic situation for future directors whenever that single actor is no longer able to voice the characters.

Just think about it: Carlos Segundo quits > Segundo happened to voice several characters > New director has to recast Piccolo, Kami and Mr. Popo which takes more time and budget than just simply recasting Piccolo.

And it's really getting a bit tiring when something like this happens: "Oh no! X is unable to dub! Who's gonna voice A, B, C, D... and E?".

When it actually should be like this: "Oh no! X is unable to dub! Who's gonna voice his only character A?".

And no, I don't hate the whole original cast. I just don't agree with some casts she made and it has mainly to do with that habit I mentioned.

The other reason is that sometimes that single actor whom she casts to voice several characters doesn't have enough vocal range to cover all of them:

I don't really hate José Luis Castañeda but I think most of his important roles in the franchise were miscast: His Nappa, Gero and Omega sounded flat and not too different from each other and Burter sounded pretty old.

The only role I liked from him in the franchise was Kibito because fortunately, he had the ideal type of voice for that character.
I still dont really mind that even if I do see what you mean and it is a problem. But the Japanese version does it too. Casting so many characters with just one actor is not unique to Rocha, even if I do have to admit this is something she does A LOT. But again, I like her castings and if an actor does need to be replaced (And I dont think Toei will EVER try replacing almost everyone like they did with Kai anyway) they are going to replace them anyway. Sad as it is to think about it, if an actor DIED no one would see any problem with recasting. Toei will never try that again, casting before the actors die I mean.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:37 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:45 am I still dont really mind that even if I do see what you mean and it is a problem. But the Japanese version does it too. Casting so many characters with just one actor is not unique to Rocha, even if I do have to admit this is something she does A LOT. But again, I like her castings and if an actor does need to be replaced (And I dont think Toei will EVER try replacing almost everyone like they did with Kai anyway) they are going to replace them anyway. Sad as it is to think about it, if an actor DIED no one would see any problem with recasting. Toei will never try that again, casting before the actors die I mean.
It's okay. I wasn't really trying to change your mind about your preference of the castings but I was explaining about why I wasn't too fond of the fact that Gloria Rocha unintentionally caused some unnecessary extra work for whoever suceeded her as director.

And yes, I'm also completely aware that's she's not the only one who casted that way. Trust me, I've seen worse cases in dubs from other series and movies, both local (from here and the rest of Latin America) and international.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:27 am

I'm always down for a new way of experiencing Dragon Ball, and rewatches are always inevitable for me, so if it were to happen I wouldn't see why not.

I can't see it happening for the reasons stated, like the need for an uncut dub being fulfilled, no red tape with any of the series, etc. Maybe if Netflix got it there would be a slim chance, if they thought it could get people to stay subscribed, as they've been known to spend absurd amounts of money on content, with series like Sense8 and The Get Down costing $9 million and $11 million per episode respectively but that's probably not likely as they would naturally care far more for original content than third party.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:10 am

Sure, it would be nice to see a proper dub for the entire franchise. It's never going to happen though, even if Crunchyroll lost the license and Netflix or Toei USA took over they would just continue to use the existing uncut dub

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:37 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:17 pm I'm kind of two minds about it. On one hand, it would be really cool to see another English Dub, that is like, kind of free of all of Funimation's casting styles, or weird translation choices, or just general imprint on the franchise, and can just kinda be a accurate version of the original TV shows. But...who's the market for that really, who would watch it besides fans who care about that stuff, who already have the manga and subbed versions of the anime, it'd feel a little pointless.
Yes.

They had their chance in 2009 with Kai, but clearly they were anxious about recasting because they kept a lot of voices that were practically begging for a recast (*cough* Kaio *cough*). It seems like they were taking the opportunity for a fresh start but were super inconsistent and half-assed with it. Even Goku should have been recast--obviously a lot of people have grown accustomed to it but I contend his voice never really fit. Too deep and masculine for the character, Schemmel's performance always felt forced in that regard. He was initially cast to mimic the generic super hero voice back in the 90's but he isn't much fit for purpose beyond that. There was no reason for Sabat to continue to voice half the main cast, or for Mike McFarland to continue using his cartoon old man voice rather than actually casting an older man, or for them to continue pronouncing it "Seiyan", or saying "Destructo Disc", but there you have it. It was always a missed opportunity to make it very clear that Kai was a fresh start meant to be a truly accurate dub meant for purists.

Even if they did do it, the toxic portion of the fandom would be the small vocal minority constantly talking shit about how bad it was simply for being different from their cherished, sacred nostalgia (as already happens with Kai despite its relatively "safe" changes). They would complain about how "Saiyan" is pronounced or unironically contend that we should go back to the "THAT'S ONE WHOPPER OF A LIZARD!"-type dialog... not to mention, you would still see a ton of fan edits of the new dub with fuckin' Faulconer music and comments sections pissed that the new dub didn't use it.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:08 am

Thanos wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:37 am Even Goku should have been recast--obviously a lot of people have grown accustomed to it but I contend his voice never really fit. Too deep and masculine for the character,
https://youtu.be/qUdz_1QlWyg

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:25 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:08 am
Thanos wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:37 am Even Goku should have been recast--obviously a lot of people have grown accustomed to it but I contend his voice never really fit. Too deep and masculine for the character,
That's nothing, there's Goku's VA (David Gasman) in the Big Green dubs of the Z movies. It's just such a forced over the top deep superhero-ey voice and Schemmel's take doesn't even approach that.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:34 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:25 am
That's nothing, there's Goku's VA (David Gasman) in the Big Green dubs of the movies. It's just such a forced over the top deep superhero-ey voice and Schemmel's take doesn't even approach that.
My point was "too deep and masculine for the character" isn't really a good criticism. It's like people going in the opposite direction of "Granny Goku" . Goku having a standard "masculine" voice, as he does in pretty much every international dub, is fine and it's not ill fitting for the character just because the Japanese version went with the same actress who voiced him as a boy adjusting her pitch to be a bit deeper.

Now, if we want to attack Schemmel's performance for just not being very good then yeah....

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:43 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:34 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:25 am

That's nothing, there's Goku's VA (David Gasman) in the Big Green dubs of the movies. It's just such a forced over the top deep superhero-ey voice and Schemmel's take doesn't even approach that.
My point was "too deep and masculine for the character" isn't really a good criticism. It's like people going in the opposite direction of "Granny Goku" . Goku having a standard "masculine" voice, as he does in pretty much every international dub, is fine and it's not ill fitting for the character just because the Japanese version went with the same actress who voiced him as a boy adjusting her pitch to be a bit deeper.

Now, if we want to attack Schemmel's performance for just not being very good then yeah....
I mean, yeah because obviously there's really no one in all those various dubs outside of Japan who are actually trying to go for emulating Nozawa's version. At least as far as his adult self goes.

Well yes, granted he's no doubt improved over last the 20+ years of voicing the role and all (comparing his work as Goku from the last decade plus to when he first started as Goku back in 1999 is night and day) but i still wouldn't say his is the best voice ever.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:30 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:25 am That's nothing, there's Goku's VA (David Gasman) in the Big Green dubs of the Z movies. It's just such a forced over the top deep superhero-ey voice and Schemmel's take doesn't even approach that.
Actually, he was just trying to voice-match Goku's French voice actor, Patrick Borg, who has a deep voice.

According to David himself, the AB Groupe dub's production was rushed as hell and the company didn't even care to give the cast any piece of context.

So they just went with this direction to try to replicate the French dub performances into English, something that didn't go well.