Goku's favourite and least favourite fights?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Goku's favourite and least favourite fights?

Post by Yuji » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:37 am

What do you think Goku considers to be his most enjoyable fight?

I'd say Grandpa Gohan is up there for obvious emotional reasons, but likely the actual fight itself didn't challenge him enough to be his favourite. Going out of his way to ask for Boo to be revived probably means he enjoyed the fight the most, which makes sense because Boo was just a pure fighting genius like him, especially in his pure form. I'd also give a nod to Jiren considering he's still being mentioned today and Goku seems to think he didn't win fairly.

As for the inverse, the fight he most hated has to be Freeza on Namek. Despite their frenemy relationship today, he told him back then he never wanted to see him again.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Goku's favourite and least favourite fights?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:42 pm

Other than Buu i'd say Vegeta. He wanted Kuririn to spare him, but it wasn't just Goku's mercy and soft heart, he enjoyed challenge and wanted to fight him again. He also probably enjoyed fighting Cell a bit and Ginyu until he stole his body.

Other than that Tenshinhan, Pikkon, Ledgic, Nuova Shenron and probably some others he simply respected as fighters and was having fun fighting them. But they weren't really evil so obviously Goku didn't take these fights much personal.

Least favourite? Piccolo Daimao, Raditz, Frieza, Baby, Naturon Shenron, Eis Shenron. He clearly saw them as an evil he must get rid off and these were VERY personal fights and in most of these he didn't even consider showing them mercy and wanted them dead and never return again.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:33 am

Isn't Goku's enjoyment of fights not tied to how he emotionally feels about his opponent outside of battle? SSJ Goku certainly did relish the idea of fighting 100% Freeza on Namek even though the fate of the universe was at stake, only stopping because Freeza was losing strength as a result of inexperience with maintaining full power. Although he might have hated Freeza for killing Krillin, that didn't stop Goku from still wanting some kind of satisfaction out of the situation; whether that be for retribution, his Saiyan instinct, or both.
I'd say that the kinds of fights that Goku doesn't enjoy would be ones where he gets no challenge out of it, some outside circumstance interfering with or postponing the fight, or getting the upper hand whenever Goku doesn't ask for it.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:45 am

He probably didn't enjoy any fight with Black/Zamasu (except the first ones, before Black revealed his true identity), since they cheated their way to success. One Zamasu stole Goku's body and the other wished for immortality. At one point, Goku even complains that "immortality isn't fair". Goku likes fighting opponents who are that strong naturally, but Zamasu cheated with the Super Dragon Balls twice.

On top of this, once Zamasu revealed what he did to an alternate counterpart of Goku and his family, Goku was just livid and, for the first time ever, tried striking an opponent who was seemingly unconscious. He was no longer interested in any rematch with the mighty Goku Black, he just wanted him dead, even though he was seemingly unconscious.

He certainly didn't enjoy any fight with the Immortal Future Zamasu, in fact he constantly complained about how Zamasu cheated with immortality and how immortality made him careless. Which is logical, no one enjoys fighting a cheater in a videogame, and Zamasu was basically a cheater. You can say that Frieza, Cell, and Buu were evil, but they were not cheaters, they were just born OP and exploited that. Zamasu was on a whole other level of villainy compared to these guys.

And as for Vegeta, like Goku, he often enjoys fighting opponents, especially when he is overpowering them. But he didn't seem to find any enjoyment from finally "beating" Black, he was just furious and angry that Zamasu cheated by stealing the body of a saiyan.

This is not to say that Black and Zamasu didn't pose a challenge for Goku, on the contrary they stomped him several times. But they were a different kind of opponent from everyone else. With other antagonists, like Buu, Hit, Broly, and especially Jiren, Goku could still appreciate how strong these guys got on their own, with their own techniques. But Goku could not appreciate Black and Zamasu, because they cheated their way to power with the Super Dragon Balls. In the same vein, you would appreciate and have fun against a skilled player in a videogame, but not a cheater (and it's usually the cheater who poses the greatest challenge, which is why it took Zeno himself to finally put Zamasu down).

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:10 am

Yes, cheating to strength seem to be Goku's biggest pet peeve. Based on that, I'd say Zamasu, Baby, Cell and maybe Moro are probably his least favourite fights.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:01 am

Vs. Vegeta. He spared him even though he knew he was dooming the planet. He enjoyed it so much that 10 years later he couldn't give a damn about Buu, he just needed to get another taste of it.

Vs. Raditz probably the one that he enjoyed the least. He needed to team up with somebody else, a foe, acted as a decoy so his teammate could finish the job, and ended up dying in the process. Everything just to get his son back. IIRC, he didn't even want to fight Raditz to begin with.

Honorable mention: Merged Zamasu. Goku literally went "DEUS EX MACHINA" button, please get me out of this, I'm done.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:51 am

I think he liked his second fight against Beerus in BoG because he finally matched up to him ( or so we thought :lol: ) after the first beatdown he received on Kaio-sama's Planet.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:33 pm

Favorite: Goku vs Piccolo: It was a blockbuster dragout fight at a time when ki spam was the exception not the rule. Utterly visceral. Loved it.

Reviled: Goku vs Tao Pie Pie rematch: It was here where the bad writing habits first start: A hero, usually Goku, becoming so stupidly strong it becomes a one sided beatdown, and Goku being at a further along level than the other heroes.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:14 pm

It's hard to pinpoint a particular fight and opponent that Goku dislikes enough that it would get in the way of his enjoyment. Generally it has to involve someone who has really got to him on a personal level and whom he despises; even then it's not always the case that his animosity will trump the satisfaction he gleans from fights, Freeza being an obvious point in case that's been cited. But to answer your question, others gave sound examples and explanations. It's opponents like Daimou and possibly Goku Black in the anime that seemed to pierce through enough of that charismatic, happy-go-lucky enthusiast persona to drive Goku into going against his nature and looking for blood instead of thrills.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:26 pm

I think Goku didn't like his fights against Tao Pai Pai and Tambourine.

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:37 pm

Goku's Favorite Fights:
Jackie Chun
Grandpa Gohan
Krillin (22nd Tournament)
Tien (22nd Tournament)
Piccolo (23rd Tournament)
Vegeta (Saiyan Saga)
Buu
Beerus
Hit
Jiren