What are the best episode and scenes in DBS

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

What are the best episode and scenes in DBS

Post by super michael » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:55 am

I am curious to hear what are the episodes and scenes that people enjoyed in DBS.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: What are the best episode and scenes in DBS

Post by Yuji » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:46 am

Anything by King Ryu is a treat. #6, #11, #14, #39, #43, #56, #65, #70, #84, #90, #95, #105 are some of the best individual Super episodes and they're all by him. Outside of his work, #47, #93, #94, #110, #116 and #131 are all very strong episodes too.

I'm not sure about the worst because Super has a lot of bad episodes, but most of the F and ToP arcs were unbearable week to week. A lot of the in-between arc filler (outside of #43 and the pre-ToP episodes) was also pretty awful.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:28 am

I always liked how Goku flashed in and out of Super Saiyan at the end of the fight against Jiren, it does an awesome job at conveying its message, and it's definitely one of the best scenes in the franchise overall, in my opinion.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:06 am

• Anime:

The best episodes are the second one, where Vegeta finally fulfills his promise to take Trunks to the amusement park and the first one of the Future Trunks saga. Those are the only ones worth watching in their entirety.

The best scenes are all the ones featuring Super Saiyan 2, Super Shenlong appearances and the Megaverse (assuming Zeno's place locates outside any particular Universe).

• Manga:

The best chapters are the one containing the Majin Buu saga in Future Trunks saga. As well as chapter 76 through 84 (not in their entirety).

The best panels are all the ones featuring Super Saiyan 2 and the ones mentioned in the chapters above.

• Xenoverse 2:

The best scenes are when the villains come through the rift Goku Black opened, as well as everyone helping Trunks on his Genki-Sword.
Last edited by Grimlock on Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:13 am

I don't remember episode names but

The episode where Future Trunks acts as an avatar for the audience who were upset Gohan became a nerd after his bad assery at the Cell Games but then learns to be happy for Gohan

The episode of the ToP that focuses on Goku and Roshi's bond as student and teacher

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:37 am

Any scene that has Beerus expressing fear of Zeno.

After forcing the cast to kiss his ass under the threat of killing them his entire tenure in the story, it's very satisfying to see that Beerus has his own Beerus that he has to kiss up to and placate, knowing that even the slightest transgression will result in his own erasure. Zeno puts Beerus on the receiving end of his own schtick and I love that dynamic.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:18 am

My favourite episode was Jiren Vs Mui Goku, I enjoyed that battle a lot. Then later Goku and Freeza teaming up against Jiren.
How Universe 7 won the tournament was good and unpredictable.

I enjoyed Goten and Trunks battling in space, then later they battled Copy Vegeta as Gotenks.

Seeing Future Trunks in DBS was great. Seeing him fight Zamasu, Goku Black and then Merged Zamasu was enjoyable.
Lets not forget Vegito Vs Merged Zamasu was enjoyable.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:43 pm

Not much to pick from as there is not much i really enjoyed in Super, but i were to pick best episode Super has to offer it would be Future Trunks visiting Gohan, being shocked how "lame" he became compared to his future self until he realizes this is life he would want to have as well and that this is exactly how future Gohan would be if androids didn't ruin everything.

This is big middle finger to people complaining about present Gohan not being like his future self or GT Trunks not being like future self.

Other than that i enjoyed Kefla scenes, Vegetto humiliating Zamasu, Arale episode and some scenes with Hit and Ribrianne. I also kinda enjoyed what RoF arc did with Tagoma compared to movie.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:33 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:43 pm Not much to pick from as there is not much i really enjoyed in Super, but i were to pick best episode Super has to offer it would be Future Trunks visiting Gohan, being shocked how "lame" he became compared to his future self until he realizes this is life he would want to have as well and that this is exactly how future Gohan would be if androids didn't ruin everything.

This is big middle finger to people complaining about present Gohan not being like his future self or GT Trunks not being like future self.

Other than that i enjoyed Kefla scenes, Vegetto humiliating Zamasu, Arale episode and some scenes with Hit and Ribrianne. I also kinda enjoyed what RoF arc did with Tagoma compared to movie.
I have literally NEVER watched this scene in Super but now I really want to. Any middle finger for this side of the fandom gets MAJOR KUDOS from me.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:00 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:43 pm Other than that i enjoyed Kefla scenes, Vegetto humiliating Zamasu, Arale episode and some scenes with Hit and Ribrianne. I also kinda enjoyed what RoF arc did with Tagoma compared to movie.
The Dr. Slump episode is great. I love how unapologetically zany it is (Having a badass fighter like Vegeta state that goofy little robot girl Arale is virtually unstoppable because she's a "gag-manga character" was perfect). Mashirito returning as a ghost was my favorite part.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:14 am

The 107-108 special were really good.
Once Kefla is born, every episode until the end is really good, borderline excellent.

Goku vs Golden Freeza prior to the ToP.
Goku vs 17 is a beautiful and fun episode.
The sparring between Goku, Gohan, Piccolo and Tenshinhan is really good. Specially with how it starts, Gohan and Piccolo storming that restaurant and challenging Goku and Tenshinhan like it's some kung-fu, mafia flick.

The baseball episode was fun.
The episode where Mr. Satan is mistaken for a universal savior cracked me up.
The one with Goku as a bouncer, with his hair combed, and Arale.

Goku bringing back Kaioken vs Hit was amazing, that's when DBS started for me.
The U6 tournament after Frost appears is great, too. Hit vs Vegeta and Hit vs Goku specially, but Kyabbe and Vegeta, and people fighting Frost were pretty cool.

Black's introduction, and the first episodes in the future timeline. Vegito Blue vs Zamasu and Trunks jumping in.

The slice of life episodes from the first two arcs were nice, also some in-between-arcs episodes until the FT arc were really good.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:32 am

The Arale-Chan episode noice.

I also liked the episode where Krillin had to deal with his death trauma. The final two episodes were fantastic as well.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:09 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:32 am

I also liked the episode where Krillin had to deal with his death trauma. The final two episodes were fantastic as well.
Yes! I forgot about the episode but I always love when a fantasy show goes "Hey! Shouldn't this character have some sort of trauma after what they've been through?" and addresses it

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:41 pm

Krilin had a few cool episodes.

Coming to terms with his deaths, outsmarting Gohan, fighting SSB Goku, and the funniest one: taking a punch from Goku.

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:49 pm

There is next to nothing I legitimately enjoyed in Super, be it the TV anime, manga, or the movies... but, there were a few small things I liked, and almost all of them were small humor moments or the shorter, lighter stories between major arcs.

The Universe Anthem being so short ("Uchu te hiroiiiiiii") after such a long, fanfare-filled setup at the beginning of the Universe 6 Tournament was HILARIOUS. Yeah, it was just a recycled joke that Toriyama had already made 30 years earlier (the head monk at the Tenkaichi Budôkai being a dog who just goes "WOOF" after a long moment of suspense thinking he'd make some kind of big speech), but hey... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The episode with Arale was great, and I honestly also really liked the baseball episode (aside from the direspect to Yamucha with the dumbass Tôei writers just completely giving credit to his American meme status, which I will never forgive them for).

I'm one of the very few people who enjoyed the Planet Potafu episodes for all their weirdness and goofiness (plus they actually did something with Gotenks for the ONLY time in the entire series. The one part in the Revival of 'F' arc where he shows up, fights Ginyu for five seconds, then fucks off doesn't count lol). Yeah, sorry to all the cringe, butthurt Vegeta fanboys, but I'm not offended whatsoever by him having a pacifier in his mouth. I think it's fucking hilarious. However... godDAMN were the art and animation in those episodes just the fucking WOOOOORST. :sick:

The episodes with Barry Khan and the Great Saiyaman movie were great for several reasons. First, the focus on Videl and Pan who otherwise got next to no focus at all in Super (and her unyielding faithfulness to Gohan was ADORABLE and just so sweet and genuine... I hate that the two of them never get much screentime together despite being such a goddamn cute couple, same as Kuririn and No.18). Second, the callback to the hilarious Great Saiyaman movie filming filler scene in the Majin Boo arc in Z. Third, making Barry Khan an actual character after the original manga/Z anime showed Boo morphing into his face after seeing it on a magazine. Fourth... the fact that Barry Khan was voiced by Hiyama Nobuyuki!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't like Super Hero as a whole, but (most) of the humor stuff was great. Piccolo buddy-system with Pan was hilarious and adorable, Gamma 2's sound effect kanji, Piccolo holding his cell phone like his dad held the Dragon Balls, etc. However... I could definitely use less of Blooma using the Dragon Balls for buttlifts and youth restorations. That shit just makes her appearance in the epilogue of the manga/Z (which takes place JUST ONE YEAR after Super Hero) make NO sense, and Tôei needs to fucking stop with that shit.

And honestly, that's about it. The series is VEEEEEEEEEEEEERY hit or miss with its humor, and honestly... most of it is just the characters being ABSURDLY stupid, to a degree that was never there in the original series, and that just... doesn't work for me. But the humor moments that do work are pretty much the only things I like about Super. Once it starts to get dramatic and action-focused, it all falls apart and the AWFUL writing rears its ugly head EVERY time.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:03 am

Ironically, us Dragon Ball fans are always accused of liking a "brain dead" show that just has a bunch of dudes screaming and pounding on each other nonstop, but honestly with Super I feel like this is actually now the case. While the original DB/DBZ had a great story and great characters, DBS absolutely did not, (IMO)and so anytime the characters weren't talking, or the plot or whatever wasn't happening, and people were fighting I generally enjoyed it more. Episode 57 I think was cool. Episode 130 and 131 was cool I guess. Any episode with Yuya Takahashi was cool. I liked the baseball episode too. I would take an entire series of episodes similar to the baseball one where the characters are just doing fun things.

novashibe

Post by novashibe » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:01 am

Honestly the only episode that jumps out at me was that Muten Roshi one from the Tournament of Power. I guess I also liked Vegito Blue versus Zamasu, if only because I've always been a huge fan of Vegito. I know he's more of a plot device than a character himself but honestly, that's fine. Imagine being a kid in Japan and hearing all this talk of fusion but it being used for Gotenks. Of course you'd be waiting for an eventual Goku and Vegeta fusion and I think he's still hype all these years later. So can it really be said that's a 'good' episode of DBS? I don't think so, honestly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:12 am

A bunch of have already been stated, but one of my favorite moments in the series and all of DB is Goku and Piccolo on the roof with Pan talking. It's really wonderful seeing Goku as a grandfather. I know Pan gets a lot of shit in GT, but they more than make up for it in Super Hero alone. The stuff between her and Piccolo is adorable.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:39 pm

For me it's the episode with Gohan and Piccolo training for the ToP. Watching them sparring in the rain, Piccolo shouting cool motivational stuff and calling out Gohan's weaknesses, and Gohan regaining his Mystic form.

The episode was what Gohan fans had waited for the entire series. It felt like a major turning point for him, like he had finally learned his lesson and was ready to accept the responsibility of protecting the earth. The episode were he fights Goku added to the hype even more.

His performance in the ToP was very satisfying for me. He isn't the last man standing, but he takes it seriously and plays a key role, taking down a number of strong opponents.

It's criminal how DBSSH throws all this development out the window and regresses him again for no reason. I can buy him slacking off after Cell because he thinks there could be no greater threat, and again after Buu because Goku is back and he wants to be a family man first.

But after the ToP there's literally no way to justify him slacking off again. To make matters worse they even turn him into a neglectful father. He's the definition of a caricature in that movie, which is a shame as he was one of the few who wasn't in the DBS anime.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:59 am

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:39 pm For me it's the episode with Gohan and Piccolo training for the ToP. Watching them sparring in the rain, Piccolo shouting cool motivational stuff and calling out Gohan's weaknesses, and Gohan regaining his Mystic form.

The episode was what Gohan fans had waited for the entire series. It felt like a major turning point for him, like he had finally learned his lesson and was ready to accept the responsibility of protecting the earth. The episode were he fights Goku added to the hype even more.

His performance in the ToP was very satisfying for me. He isn't the last man standing, but he takes it seriously and plays a key role, taking down a number of strong opponents.

It's criminal how DBSSH throws all this development out the window and regresses him again for no reason. I can buy him slacking off after Cell because he thinks there could be no greater threat, and again after Buu because Goku is back and he wants to be a family man first.

But after the ToP there's literally no way to justify him slacking off again. To make matters worse they even turn him into a neglectful father. He's the definition of a caricature in that movie, which is a shame as he was one of the few who wasn't in the DBS anime.
He didn't slack off after Super, and his journey was never about "protecting the Earth". It's about reconciling all parts of himself - the warrior and the scholar. I guess compared to the others, he's slacking but for Gohan to be his own person, he also has to concentrate on the scholarly side of himself.

And being busy doesn't make him neglectful. If anything, giving him foibles makes him decidedly not a caricature. It stuff like this that make it a movie infinitely better than DBS: Broly.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.