When did YTV (Which aired Dragon Ball) stop airing anime entirely?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

When did YTV (Which aired Dragon Ball) stop airing anime entirely?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:59 am

I want to know the exact point where anime just stopped being a thing on YTV.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: When did YTV (Which aired Dragon Ball) stop airing anime entirely?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:59 am

I don't know if it ever stopped airing anime entirely, as from what I can tell YTV has been airing the newest Pokemon seasons for years. Recently they aired Mary and the Witch's Flower, although I'm not sure if that was a one-off for a non-toyetic anime. Other than that BeyWarriors: BeyRaiderz aired in 2014. Bionix closed in 2010, which would have been the point YTV stopped airing most anime. Sadly that was right when Ocean were in the middle of dubbing Kai, as if timing couldn't have been any worse.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:42 am

I just checked their website and they don't list any anime as part of their regular lineup, but I didn't check the full schedule so who knows. YTV seems to be going back to their roots as Canadian Nickelodeon and anime wasn't really a priority for Nick because of their vast lineup of original content.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:44 pm

Lance Freeman wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:42 am I just checked their website and they don't list any anime as part of their regular lineup, but I didn't check the full schedule so who knows. YTV seems to be going back to their roots as Canadian Nickelodeon and anime wasn't really a priority for Nick because of their vast lineup of original content.
It's funny you say that because Nickelodeon also aired anime when they first started out. They aired this piece of beauty here.

https://youtu.be/LWasvyqT9GM

Yes, that is a young bride (A 16 year old bride) seeing her husband''s previous wives dead and rotting mounted on the walls. And being pursued by a literal river of blood. And just in case you werent sure she desperately cleans a key wondering why wont this blood come off!?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:22 pm

They aired the show, but I think they skipped that episode specifically. Couldn't say why for the life of me.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:51 pm

Asking something as broad as "When did YTV stop airing anime entirely?" is a very loaded question.

As others have stated there have been a Beyblade adaption here or the continuing seasons of Pokémon there, but I don't necessarily count those as it pertains to your question, since Corus' motivation for continuing to air those kinds of titles were contingent upon toy deals and advertising revenue that they could rake in. Cartoon Network's Stuart Snyder was thinking the same thing which is why shows like those stayed there long after the daytime/primetime Toonami was cancelled.

So, let's just keep things simple and talk about anime titles that aired on YTV strictly on their artistic merit. Otherwise, your question wouldn't even be accurate since they occasionally still air Pokémon or Bakugan on the odd Friday afternoon. The burial date was Saturday, February 06, 2010. That was when the final Bionix block (if "block" is even the right word) aired. Corus had already made the decision earlier in the week that Naruto and Bleach would be cut short. Bleach is especially important since the same title, regardless of a new licensing agreement (like there would be with Naruto Shippuden) was still ongoing by any stretch of the imagination. Thereafter that weekend, any mention of the two aforementioned titles were removed from ytv.com, never to come up again.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... m-schedule

Granted, Pretty Cure still ran up until the middle of 2010, but that had more to do with the fact that Pretty Cure was grandfathered in from early 2009 and YTV in the grand scheme of things made quick work of burying that under the rug as well.

I suppose that complicates the answer a little bit since Bleach was cancelled immediately upon the decision of going in a new direction. But I'm pretty sure YTV management knew enough to know that Bleach had a ways to go while Pretty Cure was winding down and they had managed to conclude the original Naruto series before they made this decision, but I would take note of how they weren't in a hurry to license Shippuden. On top of that, December 2009 was not only when they had finished up Naruto but would also be the same month that Bionix on Demand was abruptly discontinued, so the seeds you could say were planted then as well.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... this-month

Like I said, it is a loaded question at the end of the day, but I hope that clears it up a little.