Concerning Tapion's Theme from Movie 13

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Concerning Tapion's Theme from Movie 13

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:44 am

The theme itself is first established with the Music Box variation heard when it is opened back up, and then is heard more times whenever Tapion plays his Ocarina in the film. Both can be heard by the characters.
These are on F minor, as is the image song from the CD single that incorporates the same melody.
And then we hear some BGM variations like M2106, M2111 and a bit of M2115, which are decidedly different from the Music Box and Ocarina variations in that the instrumentation features more than a solo instrument and they're on E minor instead.

(The Ocarina is also the exact same one that's featured at several points within the image song.)

Now, the first ones are unreleased, and it's likely because those were something akin to sound effects, as they only exist due to the actual Music Box and Ocarina displayed on screen and are only heard when those are used. It's also officially confirmed in more than one place that it was not in fact Kikuchi who composed the theme (as most might believe), but Tetsuji Hayashi (image song being arranged by Osamu Totsuka and featuring some similarity to the Music Box version with backing notes). It's a case that's similar to the whistle song (口笛の気持ち) that Takeshi Ike composed for Movie 4, where a variation of it made for Gohan's whistling shows up while he does it.

And even from a musical analysis standpoint, this makes sense. In all of Kikuchi's work for DB/Z, there's nothing like those where he uses a solo instrument in that fashion, least of all a Music Box or an Ocarina. And aside from the initial key being the same one he frequently wrote on, he really didn't write melodies for motifs like that in the first place, and it sticks out like a sore thumb when placed among every motif he's composed himself (which is a lot) as it's not his style, or something that's a product of his creative DNA, so to speak.
He even put the actual Tapion theme re-arrangements he made on a different key from what both his usual choice and the original ones are based on. Not to mention the stark differences in instrumentation that mark them as variations rather than the originals.

In all it's another case of misattribution (there's a lot of these) that are better off being corrected.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Concerning Tapion's Theme from Movie 13

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:09 am

Eeeh....I think I never saw anyone saying that the melody of Tapion's theme was made by Kikuchi (same goes to the Kichibue no Kimochi whistle edit, actually this one doesn't have anything to do with the subject, that track is clearly made up from the vocal version, I really didn't get the comparison)
What I see is people saying that those specific Movie 13 score tracks were made by him and nothing more, the Music Box and Ocarina tracks?
This is a superficial attribution made by everyone that could perhaps be dry information, but it is safe, the vast majority of official score releases never cite in detail the work of those involved, so crediting the lead name marked in the project is a way to avoid passing on wrong info about the details of such work
And I think anyone who hears this image song can immediately deduce that Kikuchi borrowed the melody to use in his M2100 tracks, after all, with the exception of insert song "Muten Roshi no Oshie" (where his name is credited as composition), he never worked in any vocal song for the franchise

You won't see Hayashi credited in the Movie 13 score, neither officialy or by the fans, for the same reason as you won't see Takeshi Ike credited in the A-J-M600 scores, the M800 and M900 scores in any official release or by the fans (all of these scores feature tracks with the melody of Makafushigi Adventure), they're different working areas.

So I don't think there's anything to be "corrected"! unless, of course, if you're saying that the Ocarina and Music Box tracks weren't made by Kikuchi but by Hayashi, now that would be something really important and truly helpful.

From what I interpreted in your text, you just considered it as a possibility, if you actually meant that this is a fact, then I would appreciate it if you could give it the source, because I really can't find it anywhere that says that he worked on these two tracks (they haven't been released so it's difficult to actually get any information)
Saying that they don't sound like "Kikuchish" isn't enough, for a few reasons I personally don't doubt that he really composed these, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were indeed made by Hayashi too, maybe both worked in the two tracks, idk, thanks.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:54 am

Rafa Fast wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:09 am So I don't think there's anything to be "corrected"! unless, of course, if you're saying that the Ocarina and Music Box tracks weren't made by Kikuchi but by Hayashi, now that would be something really important and truly helpful.
That would in fact be what I'm saying, although he himself was not the arranger of the tracks to begin with even in the image song.
Also what got me to mention a "correction" was the presence of both under general BGM uploads, where there's some out there who may not get the right idea from those.
Or just the simple fact that there's a lot of people who may not be familiar with the one who actually composed it.
From what I interpreted in your text, you just considered it as a possibility, if you actually meant that this is a fact, then I would appreciate it if you could give it the source, because I really can't find it anywhere that says that he worked on these two tracks (they haven't been released so it's difficult to actually get any information)
If you want a source for the music box theme specifically, I already provided one in the form of Wayô Records releasing the Tapion Music Box (that plays his theme) with sheet music signed by Tetsuji Hayashi (credited as composer) and under license from Toei Animation themselves. That's as official as you can get.
Saying that they don't sound like "Kikuchish" isn't enough, for a few reasons I personally don't doubt that he really composed these, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were indeed made by Hayashi too, maybe both worked in the two tracks, idk, thanks.
I mean, you can tell when he's arranging something and when it's his composition, so I would imagine that distinctive composer styles have an immense amount to do with the discussion and shouldn't simply be discarded (especially when he's actually gone on record talking about melodies or styles that he himself can't/doesn't really write).
But here's another important thing to consider, which is that those two variations aren't incidental music, which is primarily what he makes. IOW, they're not part of "the score".
And I think anyone who hears this image song can immediately deduce that Kikuchi borrowed the melody to use in his M2100 tracks, after all, with the exception of insert song "Muten Roshi no Oshie" (where his name is credited as composition), he never worked in any vocal song for the franchise
Far as this goes, there was at least one occasion on this site and a certain server where it was in doubt as to what the case really was. But yes, that detail is important (there were only two insert songs he composed for the whole franchise and were arranged by someone else).

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:04 pm

Releasing something based on something that was never released is really...ironic, also, how can we kill this knowing that they didn't give credit to Hayashi just for owning the melody? It's definitely not the image song but, it would still be a reason to put his name as composer, I guess?
If not, then probably the only chest that remains locked is the Ocarina track, could searching for the credits of the remix from Xenoverse 2 help? (It's the only place I know that something based on the Ocarina track can be heard, although... I think that just the fact that this was possible could be a great indication, but who knows)
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:15 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:04 pm Releasing something based on something that was never released is really...ironic, also, how can we kill this knowing that they didn't give credit to Hayashi just for owning the melody? It's definitely not the image song but, it would still be a reason to put his name as composer, I guess?
If not, then probably the only chest that remains locked is the Ocarina track, could searching for the credits of the remix from Xenoverse 2 help? (It's the only place I know that something based on the Ocarina track can be heard, although... I think that just the fact that this was possible could be a great indication, but who knows)
Welp, idk, but there is an official at Wayô Records on VGMdb that drops in from time to time, guess you could go there and ask him :p

I mean, it's the exact same Ocarina heard in the image song itself that's an accompanying instrument in the arrangement. And with that one, all someone would have to do is... play the principal notes on a solo Ocarina. But no official confirmation for that one specifically, might not even be necessary once the source of the melody is established.