Where is the most likely and/or most preferable place for Ocean's Dragon Ball Kai to be seen (in your view)?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Where is the most likely and/or most preferable place for Ocean's Dragon Ball Kai to be seen (in your view)?

Post by GokuDaimao » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:35 am

I only start a new thread regarding this topic surrounding this particular dub in spite of a thread surrounding Ocean Kai in general already existing, still being relevant after 13 years (almost), with over 7,000 posts and over 1,000,000 (OVER A MILLYON!?) views.

However, I feel as though that thread should be somewhat reserved for concrete developments and other conversations, while this one is going to be purely hyperbole and gaga, so to speak. That said, I do believe it is an important conversation to be had that deserves its own thread since if nothing else, it can perhaps turn on the right people to the right possibilities. Just maybe.

If you were to ask me prior to 2020, I would have voted for either TELETOON or Atlantic Canada's Toon-A-Vision, but after more than sufficient time to think it over, I'd really have to give my vote to Adult Swim Canada above all else, and allow me to offer up my reasons as to why.

Unlike all of Corus' other networks that participate in broadcasting animation content, this one is purely geared towards adults. Now, this is important not because of some sort of content rating or Corus thinking the content at hand is "inappropriate" for the little ones, but it's much more about Corus' propensity for conditioning acquired children's content upon name value and potential advertising revenue, especially the latter. If a big-name toy company is willing to pay for a bunch of ad spots on the network, then they'll find time for it, even if its something like the original Turning Mecard dub, but I digress.

On the 24/7 Adult Swim network, the aforementioned is not at all a factor, logically. While there is no Toonami block, there are at least a handful of shows, specifically Canadian-made shows that find airtime, including those of the past. Bob and Margaret, Super Dave, Clone High just to name a few.

In addition to that, they're the only Corus owned network, period, to air anime titles of any sort. Granted, they're limited to titles that Williams Street/Warner Bros. have a hand in producing, which is a deterrent in hoping, I will admit. But it's as good a hope as any, especially considering how flaccid the competition is.

One more thing to note, given that it's a PG-rated show (presumably) that features an intellectual property that the core adult audience is likely to not only remember but also be fond of from their respective childhoods. It would be a natural fit for weekly, casual Saturday night airings at the very least.

Let me know what you guys think. You can offer up any network, from any country, for any viable reason. The only thing that I would encourage is that nobody says something like, "Disney XD in the U.S. because I'd love for that to happen." I think we need to at least be a little grounded, even if we're speculating, because I'd like us to at least be somewhat grounded in our speculation. Streaming and/or home video is also a welcome theory if you got a good reason why.

Looking forward to you guys' thoughts, and I'm sorry my opening post was so long-winded.
Last edited by GokuDaimao on Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Where is the most likely and/or most preferable place for Ocean's Dragon Ball Kai to be seen (in your view)?

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:54 am

On the Internet Archive, at this point it might as well just leak online instead of expecting a tv deal to ever happen

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Where is the most likely and/or most preferable place for Ocean's Dragon Ball Kai to be seen (in your view)?

Post by funrush » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:05 am

The Ocean Kai dub is something that never seemed to have a purpose to begin with. Why do another english dub when Funi nailed it brilliantly the first time? When I saw this thread title, my brain went "torrent websites."

An idea that would be a lot more fun than that, is if they aired it on Twitch or some sort of livestream site, maybe Youtube? Here's the scrapped Ocean dub! And just play it in full for all the fans to enjoy. Keep the chat open, watch everybody fanboy about DB and the VAs.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:33 pm

funrush wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:05 am The Ocean Kai dub is something that never seemed to have a purpose to begin with. Why do another english dub when Funi nailed it brilliantly the first time? When I saw this thread title, my brain went "torrent websites."
I believe it was comissioned before Funi's Kai dub actually aired. Ocean did the edits for the Nicktoons broadcast for Funi and I assume they were planning on using it for their dub

And it likely existed because Canadian networks favor "Canadian made" shows because of broadcast laws requiring so much Canadian content, Fukanaga even admitted that was the reason Funi initially outsourced to Canada for their dub. Wouldn't be surprised if that was also the logic in creating a replacement soundtrack for Kai

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:01 am

I just want Ocean Kai to be seen, ideally on a channel with a wide audience like Adult Swim, but I'd take anything at this point. Even if it aired on an obscure Canadian channel someone will record it and share it so fans outside Canada can watch it.

I also don't agree that Ocean Kai never had any purpose. Westwood Z aired in Canada, Ireland, the UK, the Netherlands, Finland and Belgium. Ocean had recording rights for Dragon Ball, which likely extended to Kai because their business relationship with Funimation still existed up to the early 2010s. Why wouldn't Ocean create their own dub to potentially air in said territories? Ocean Kai was also likely cheaper to record than other dubs because Ocean received pay from editing Funimation's Kai dub and they had a library of royalty-free music to pull from to create the replacement score.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:02 am

I may not be Canadian but I think CTV's streaming service could be a good choice to air it.
https://www.ctv.ca/shows

And Kai won't be the only anime that streamed there, since they have already streamed stuff like Astroboy (2003) and the Marvel Anime Anthology.

If anybody wants to try and send an email to CTV, I'd recommend to explicitly tell them that Kai has a CanCon dub in the message.

It may not guarantee them streaming it but at least, they will be aware of the dub's existence and may keep it in mind if they ever want to stream it.

Grim_Furīza

Post by Grim_Furīza » Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:02 am

Kimcartoon would be the ideal site

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:13 am

Tian wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:02 am I may not be Canadian but I think CTV's streaming service could be a good choice to air it.

And Kai won't be the only anime that streamed there, since they have already streamed stuff like Astroboy (2003) and the Marvel Anime Anthology.

If anybody wants to try and send an email to CTV, I'd recommend to explicitly tell them that Kai has a CanCon dub in the message.

It may not guarantee them streaming it but at least, they will be aware of the dub's existence and may keep it in mind if they ever want to stream it.
I tell you what, not only is that idea not too shabby at all, but (get ready for gaga) if we lived in a reality where Dragon Ball Kai was airing on local CTV stations, that would put a big smile on my face.

It's certainly worth doing, I think. Even if it's just a streaming deal, we'd still be a step ahead.

Only part that concerns me is that Cancon is not a big factor, if at all, on the Internet, even with a Canadian TV network on the Internet. I could definitely see Bell Media rolling with FUNimation's dub, no different than with Broly. Even though in the past, I did say that the two dubs could co-exist, it is more worrisome when we're talking web streaming.

But I still love your idea, Tian.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:24 am

funrush wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:05 am The Ocean Kai dub is something that never seemed to have a purpose to begin with. Why do another english dub when Funi nailed it brilliantly the first time?
The same could be said for the Westwood/Ocean and Blue Water dubs, but they do exist.

The work was already done. The actors already got paid. I don't know what's holding this back from seeing the light of day, but its value to a TV network or streaming service is plummeting by the day, and it's been a lot of days. But, its value to fans is increasing. So, whoever owns this thing should just bite the bullet, reach out to Crunchyroll, and sell to Crunchyroll for whatever they're offering.

To be perfectly honest, the only real future I see for this project is being an alternative audio track on a Crunchyroll re-release (that would be a hell of a gimmick to get people to buy a re-release of Kai) or have it be an alternative track on a streaming version of Kai (which, right now, is strictly on Hulu). I never see Ocean Kai getting its own, standalone release or airing--only as a niche, secondary product to supplement Crunchyroll's version.

And while we're at it, this goes for Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT too. Just do a big fire sale to Crunchyroll and hope they put these out as weird, niche little supplements to the existing dubbed products.

I guess my question would be if Crunchyroll is full of more figureheads that are in-tune with the fandom than Funimation's were. It seems like the answer is "no," but I believe Crunchyroll started up by anime fans. I think that it would take a fan on their end to make any of this happen. But, I don't see it happening at all without Crunchyroll's involvement.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:40 pm

The reason the Westwood and Blue Water dubs were made is quite simple. Funimation and Ocean had a working business relationship, the latter created their own edit of the formers dub and after much frustration from YTV receiving tapes too late and the extortionate cost of the Faulconer Productions score a new English dub was created for Canada, the Netherlands, UK, Ireland, Belgium and Finland as an alternative. The Blue Water dubs followed on from Westwood Z because the head of Ocean for whatever reason wanted original Dragon Ball and GT to be dubbed cheaper than what was originally planned.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:24 amSo, whoever owns this thing should just bite the bullet, reach out to Crunchyroll, and sell to Crunchyroll for whatever they're offering.
Ocean owns their own Kai dub. My only concern with it being sold to Crunchyroll is that they probably won't want to because they already own a dub most fans are happy with. Alternate audio tracks on a Blu-Ray sounds nice in theory, but we don't know if an uncut version of Ocean Kai exists, meaning such a thing would only be possible if Crunchyroll released the Nicktoons cut of Kai, but since they could only release it with the Kikuchi score the nostalgic value of such a product is already diminished.

I've got to agree with GokuDaimao, CTV would be worth trying. I urge anyone who wants to see Ocean Kai released to email them here.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:05 am

GokuDaimao wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:13 am
Tian wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:02 am I may not be Canadian but I think CTV's streaming service could be a good choice to air it.

I tell you what, not only is that idea not too shabby at all, but (get ready for gaga) if we lived in a reality where Dragon Ball Kai was airing on local CTV stations, that would put a big smile on my face.

It's certainly worth doing, I think. Even if it's just a streaming deal, we'd still be a step ahead.

Only part that concerns me is that Cancon is not a big factor, if at all, on the Internet, even with a Canadian TV network on the Internet. I could definitely see Bell Media rolling with FUNimation's dub, no different than with Broly. Even though in the past, I did say that the two dubs could co-exist, it is more worrisome when we're talking web streaming.

But I still love your idea, Tian.
Well, I mentioned the CanCon because I thought that a Canadian network and streaming service like CTV would be interested more into acquiring something that has been registered within the CRTC (Canadian Radio & TV Comission) like the Ocean dub rather than the American FUNimation dub.

And thanks! I may not be part of this dub's target audience (English native speakers) but as a fan of international dubs, I really want to see this dub, despite the recycled soundtrack from other Ocean shows and the edits.

Sorry for the late reply, my internet connection has been somewhat unstable these days.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:58 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:54 amOn the Internet Archive, at this point it might as well just leak online instead of expecting a tv deal to ever happen
Apologies for the odd timing, but I'm only quoting this now because something just occurred to me regarding this concept.

Even if a leak, by some once in a lifetime alignment of stars were to occur, I think, especially given the social climate the way it is now, that there would be a revolt due to a 'going against the wishes of the people who made it' mantra, mostly by casual fans who'll stir the pot on TwitterX, but I also believe there would be that sect of hardcore fans that will put a negative spin on that development as well.

And I only say this because when you have shows like Amphibia and The Owl House having episodes accidentally come out before scheduled due to a lapse in iTunes' processing (which isn't even really a leak in the conventional sense) and the creators of both shows becoming eager to show the world how butthurt they were about it, and the majority of their fans went along with this narrative, you can definitely expect some sort of protest.

Not very relevant, but I really didn't understand that part. Both products in question were rightfully finished and set to air as they were. I guess it would be nice if it was on schedule, but it really is like crying over spilled milk to me.

Then there was the Clone High reboot pilot getting leaked, and the same reaction was received, more or less. While I'm not of the opinion that I should pour bleach in my eyes because it got leaked so I definitely don't see it, that is more understandable. It was not finalized and a leak of that nature can possibly cause things to go in a different direction than what's supposed to.

Going back to DBK, there is no doubt in my mind, that of course Toei and key people at Ocean like Ken Morrison would be pissed, but then you'd have the fans going back and forth over either that it's a God blessing or that it's the biggest travesty in the franchise's history, and in the midst of that, I'm sure you would have certain, social media-savvy members of the cast like Brian Drummond also condemning what happened and encouraging people not to watch, etc.

So, there would be fallout in that respect for sure, for better or worse. I say worse, but I'll let you all decide.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:20 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:54 am On the Internet Archive, at this point it might as well just leak online instead of expecting a tv deal to ever happen
I agree. Someone should just leak it at this point. It's not like the production crew would get any royalties in the first place, anyway.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:45 am

GokuDaimao wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:58 pm Snip
With the examples you gave it sounds like they those shows were getting released and hackers just leaked them ahead of schedule.

I know many people are still stuck in the denial stage but Ocean Kai isn't getting an official streaming or tv deal ever. It's been 13 years and Kai is long past yesterday's news. Brian Drummond and the other actors have already been paid for their time (and like Julie said above, they don't get royalty checks or collect any ad revenue from an official tv/streaming deal). They have no reason to get mad if Ocean Kai got leaked online, which again, is the only way it's gonna see the light of day at this point.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:45 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:45 am
With the examples you gave it sounds like they those shows were getting released and hackers just leaked them ahead of schedule.

I know many people are still stuck in the denial stage but Ocean Kai isn't getting an official streaming or tv deal ever. It's been 13 years and Kai is long past yesterday's news. Brian Drummond and the other actors have already been paid for their time (and like Julie said above, they don't get royalty checks or collect any ad revenue from an official tv/streaming deal). They have no reason to get mad if Ocean Kai got leaked online, which again, is the only way it's gonna see the light of day at this point.
I hear what you're saying, but let me just make myself clear regarding Amphibia and The Owl House. They were simply made available on iTunes before they were supposed to air on television and at least one group caught that, purchased the respective episodes and removed the DRM, which does not require "hacking" with all of the software out there for tender. And even with something that low-stakes happening, the creators of both shows expressed their disdain for it happening which led to their fanbases mostly doing the same.

That said, I happen to agree with your position regarding the morality or what should be the reaction regarding a leak. I'm just saying, a modicum of fallout could, and in my opinion would probably occur. Because of how people can be.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:01 pm

GokuDaimao wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:45 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:45 am

I hear what you're saying, but let me just make myself clear regarding Amphibia and The Owl House. They were simply made available on iTunes before they were supposed to air on television and at least one group caught that, purchased the respective episodes and removed the DRM, which does not require "hacking" with all of the software out there for tender. And even with something that low-stakes happening, the creators of both shows expressed their disdain for it happening which led to their fanbases mostly doing the same.

That said, I happen to agree with your position regarding the morality or what should be the reaction regarding a leak. I'm just saying, a modicum of fallout could, and in my opinion would probably occur. Because of how people can be.
Fair enough, I see what you're saying. I think it's best to ignore people who have taken it upon themselves to get mad at something being leaked online when it would otherwise never get released.

I get the "support the official release" mindset, but there has to be an official release to support and well...we're never going to get that with Ocean Kai.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:44 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:01 pmFair enough, I see what you're saying. I think it's best to ignore people who have taken it upon themselves to get mad at something being leaked online when it would otherwise never get released.

I get the "support the official release" mindset, but there has to be an official release to support and well...we're never going to get that with Ocean Kai.
Oh, I agree. At face value, I'm right there with you with everything you just said. I just want to make two more points, because what's a forum good for if it can't be used as a dumping ground for your ideas? XP

I'm certainly not looking to politicize this topic of conversation, so I will be very delicate with this point, but when Brian Drummond is on social media blowing off of a loyal fan because he disagreed with that fan's politics (and I am not commenting if that's a good or bad thing), I can believe that he'd probably do something similar regarding this leak, to be loyal to his employers if for no other reason. And there'd probably be a few more actors like him doing that. Scott McNeil would probably support the leak though, even if he was on social media.

The other point I'll make is the only qualm or deterrent I truly have to a leak at this point is that if Ocean Kai airs on a TV network and performs well at that, it might open the door for subsequent instalments of the franchise being dubbed by Ocean (Kai 2.0, Super, etc.)

Whereas if a leak were to happen by any stretch of the imagination, not only can we u;ltimately shut the book on Ocean-dubbed Dragon Ball, but Toei might even sever ties with Ocean altogether for 'allowing it to happen.'

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:09 am

Kai isn't going to leak. To my knowledge Ocean has never leaked anything themselves. Actors even find it hard to get clips for their reels, so clearly whoever Ocean has in charge of their video library is someone they have absolute trust in. I don't blame the individual in question because naturally they wouldn't want to be blacklisted.

But yeah, Ocean are obviously going to want Kai to get an official release on TV or streaming. They are a business, and dubs cost money so it would be in their best interest to at least recoup some of it. I do believe that could still be achieved because Dragon Ball has traditionally done well in Canada, no reason it can't happen again.

I'm not going to give up on Ocean Kai seeing the light of day though. I can make peace with knowing its unlikely but whenever an opportunity arises, as was the case with Wow Unlimited and Toon-A-Vision I will chase them any way I can. As long as the masters still exist there's always a possibility, however slim of it being released.