Do you think King Cold has the same potential as his son?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Do you think King Cold has the same potential as his son?

Post by Seekeroftruth » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:14 am

Do you think if King Cold were to revive and train, he would amass a similar level of power to his son Frieza? Meaning, if he were to train for 4 months, he might not be as strong as golden frieza but could potentially rival him. What is your opinion on King Cold's potential?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Do you think King Cold has the same potential as his son?

Post by Yuji » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:59 am

King Cold was only as strong as a suppressed mecha Freeza, so I wouldn't say so. He was also older and presumably already fought or trained more than Freeza. I'd say he still has a lot of potential due to being a mutant but not comparable to Freeza's.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:22 am

He was probably not a 1:1 with his son in terms of potential or the absurdly fast rate of growth that Freeza has, but Cold definitely should have been able to greatly increase his power if he had trained as well. Cold's lifetime of being a tyrant made him more-or-less on par with Freeza's 4th form on Namek, which is stronger than over 99.99% of the other inhabitants in the universe. I could see Cold not only surpassing the Androids, but Cell as well from 4 months of training; I'm not sure if he would surpass Boo though, he was afraid of the legends of Boo afterall.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:58 pm

Freeza is said to be a prodigy within his race, so that alone puts him apart from Cold and his movie-only brother.

Cold has trained, according to Freeza, he trained him, and he built an empire, so he probably had already reached his full potential, the implications hint at Cold not being as spoiled as Freeza.
Maybe by "now", after he retired, he lost some power, but I doubt it was a Gohan-type of loss. Or maybe not, maybe he has been training all along but has plateaued a long time ago.

In his prime, I'd wager he was around the 100M. I doubt he'd grow much more powerful, although in DB nobody ever hits a ceiling, there's always room for more whoever you are. But at best, I think he'd be Early Android arc SS level.
Also, I don't think 4 months would cut it for Cold.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:04 pm

A Dragon Ball Multiverse type situation where Cold is the most powerful and, you could argue, most competent, sounds interesting. The only issue I have with the idea is the lack of proper foundational establishment that anyone sans Freeza could possess such horrifically vast potential with multiple transformations just waiting to be used with the potential for developing more. Far as we're aware, Freeza (and Frost) are the only members of their species who can transform like that.

Cold may have had potential, given what we've seen of their species through others. But, likes others have explained, I doubt it was anywhere near Freeza's capacity to grow. Perhaps if he trained with his son and was younger, he could make some significant inroads, even though I would still put the younger tyrant well above his father. Maybe a Piccolo/Gohan during the Moro arc sort of dynamic, if that makes sense.