The Dragon Boxes and Their Faults

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZLADMAN

Re: The Dragon Boxes and Their Faults

Post by ZLADMAN » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:41 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:42 pm
ZLADMAN wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:01 pm It sounds very vintage.
Just saying, insofar as it's Toei (like Saint Seiya or FotNS), not so with contemporary anime series by most other studios.
Not an authentic sound for the time, but it still has a certain vintage sound to it. It's the same sort of feeling as watching an old VHS recording with poor sound quality. That being said, I would definitely prefer the broadcast audio for any Toei series if given the choice. I would say I hope all of Seiya and FotNS's audio is found, but the fact that we've gotten all of DB, Z, and GT's broadcast audio recordings is a miracle in itself.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:20 pm

ZLADMAN wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:41 pm Not an authentic sound for the time, but it still has a certain vintage sound to it. It's the same sort of feeling as watching an old VHS recording with poor sound quality.
Ironically, even some of the VHS recordings have better quality audio than what's on the Dragon Boxes.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:45 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:20 pm
ZLADMAN wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:41 pm Not an authentic sound for the time, but it still has a certain vintage sound to it. It's the same sort of feeling as watching an old VHS recording with poor sound quality.
Ironically, even some of the VHS recordings have better quality audio than what's on the Dragon Boxes.
Yes, and it's certainly an eye opening experience to me with finally being able to watch the complete OG run of the three series with the original high quality broadcast audio, no more crusty muffled ass sounding mono. After years of having to listen to that low quality every time i turned on the Japanese audio track it's a breath of fresh air finally being able to experience it with the crystal clear quality as originally aired. Good on all those fans who went the distance to track down those recordings and sync the audio to the better quality Dragon Box video even with their flaws.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ZLADMAN

Post by ZLADMAN » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:29 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:45 pm
GhostEmperorX wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:20 pm
Yes, and it's certainly an eye opening experience to me with finally being able to watch the complete OG run of the three series with the original high quality broadcast audio, no more crusty muffled ass sounding mono. After years of having to listen to that low quality every time i turned on the Japanese audio track it's a breath of fresh air finally being able to experience it with the crystal clear quality as originally aired. Good on all those fans who went the distance to track down those recordings and sync the audio to the better quality Dragon Box video even with their flaws.
For sure. It is quite a leap in quality. Vegeta's Japanese voice sounds completely different to me now. After all of these years of bad audio, it's nothing short of incredible to experience these series with crystal clear audio.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:15 am

Once again, can anyone else check their Dragon Box 7 to see if it's a little taller than the others? I got one reply confirming this already, but another wouldn't hurt either. Really want to make sure I don't have bootlegs, especially when I'm about to pay them off after four split payments.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:42 am

mecha3000 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:15 am Once again, can anyone else check their Dragon Box 7 to see if it's a little taller than the others? I got one reply confirming this already, but another wouldn't hurt either. Really want to make sure I don't have bootlegs, especially when I'm about to pay them off after four split payments.
Mine is also slightly taller than the rest. And I bought it from RightStuf back when it first came out so it is highly unlikely that what I have is a bootleg.

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:55 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:15 am Once again, can anyone else check their Dragon Box 7 to see if it's a little taller than the others? I got one reply confirming this already, but another wouldn't hurt either. Really want to make sure I don't have bootlegs, especially when I'm about to pay them off after four split payments.
Don't worry dude, all of them are like that. When I bought mine about ten years ago, it was taller too. And folks on this board also noticed that when it first came out, way back in late 2011. :)