Your opinion on how Toei worked on Dragon Ball Anime

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Re: Your opinion on how Toei worked on Dragon Ball Anime

Post by super michael » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:07 pm
super michael wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:46 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:45 am

That character was meant to play into another negative gay trope, so, yeah, offensive. He definitely sets off alarms for me.

When both of your gay characters are "lol, look at how weird and creepy these gay guys are" I'd say that there's some yikes writing going on.
There is nothing negative about Otokosuki, just because Trunks wasn't attracted to him. Trunks can choose he who likes and who he isn't interested.

In Naruto the character named Sakura had a terrible reaction, just because Lee blew a air kiss and gave him many insults. The reason was just because of his appearance.
Your comparison is stupid, because you're comparing a minority typically depicted negatively in media in a M/M context to a M/F relationship, which is depicted as the norm and right way to live. Otokotsuki existed to be a 'creepy gay guy' stereotype for the entirety of his role while Haruno Sakura and Rock Lee were fleshed out characters with roles beyond a stupid and creepy introduction gag.
To be fair in EOZ it isn't possible to flesh out a character, since it was ending. In GT most of the times it was action or adventure, hardly any slice of life.
Trunks didn't throw any insults to Otokosuki, Trunks reaction was normal. Otokosuki hinting and showing he like/loves Trunks, however Trunks didn't feel the same way.

The first time Sakura see Lee, she insults him. She insults his master Gai.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:22 pm

super michael wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:16 pm

There is nothing negative about Otokosuki, just because Trunks wasn't attracted to him. Trunks can choose he who likes and who he isn't interested.

In Naruto the character named Sakura had a terrible reaction, just because Lee blew a air kiss and gave him many insults. The reason was just because of his appearance.
Your comparison is stupid, because you're comparing a minority typically depicted negatively in media in a M/M context to a M/F relationship, which is depicted as the norm and right way to live. Otokotsuki existed to be a 'creepy gay guy' stereotype for the entirety of his role while Haruno Sakura and Rock Lee were fleshed out characters with roles beyond a stupid and creepy introduction gag.
To be fair in EOZ it isn't possible to flesh out a character, since it was ending. In GT most of the times it was action or adventure, hardly any slice of life.
Trunks didn't throw any insults to Otokosuki, Trunks reaction was normal. Otokosuki hinting and showing he like/loves Trunks, however Trunks didn't feel the same way.

Your continuously missing the point.

Otokosuki plays into the negative stereotype that gay men are all predatory and will hit on straight men regardless of their comfort.

The character wasn't fleshed out because he was a gag "haha this big creepy homosexual is making passes at poor Trunks"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:44 pm

As MasenkoHa said, Otokotsuki is playing into an insulting negative stereotype. That's the problem.
super michael wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:16 pmThe first time Sakura see Lee, she insults him. She insults his master Gai.
Rock Lee's kiss is disgusting and scary and your point still makes no fucking sense.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:51 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:22 pm

Your continuously missing the point.

Otokosuki plays into the negative stereotype that gay men are all predatory and will hit on straight men regardless of their comfort.

The character wasn't fleshed out because he was a gag "haha this big creepy homosexual is making passes at poor Trunks"
How is Otokosuki being a predator? He isn't forcing Trunks to do anything. The worst Otokosuki did was wink at Trunks, if I remember right.
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:44 pm Rock Lee's kiss is disgusting and scary and your point still makes no fucking sense.
Lee didn't kiss Sakura. Lee was blowing air kisses, that is a huge difference. That is Lee showing that he like Sakura. Sakura overreacted.

Trunks reacted normal. Sakura overreacted, that is the point I am making.
Last edited by super michael on Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:52 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:44 pm

As MasenkoHa said, Otokotsuki is playing into an insulting negative stereotype. That's the problem.
super michael wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:16 pmThe first time Sakura see Lee, she insults him. She insults his master Gai.
Rock Lee's kiss is disgusting and scary and your point still makes no fucking sense.

Sorry for mansplaining miss Julie but it's OtokoSUKI without T or more accurately without a Tsu. Because It literally means "(I) like men"
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:12 pm

IIRC he was just flirting by giving a wink. Nothing more. Nothing predatory.
Since he later worked under Trunks at Capsule Corp, no harm was done.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:18 pm

Jord wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:12 pm IIRC he was just flirting by giving a wink. Nothing more. Nothing predatory.
Since he later worked under Trunks at Capsule Corp, no harm was done.
Yes that is how I remember also.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:22 pm

super michael wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:51 pm

How is Otokosuki being a predator? He isn't forcing Trunks to do anything. The worst Otokosuki did was wink at Trunks, if I remember right.

Jord wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:12 pm IIRC he was just flirting by giving a wink. Nothing more. Nothing predatory.

Otokosuki: You're just my type. I promise I won't hurt you too bad <3

Trunks: [visibly uncomfortable and creeped out]

Seriously, how do you both keep doing this? I just *facepalm*

The one gay character in nearly 10 years since the last one a and he's portrayed as an over the top stereotype making a straight character uncomfortable.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:27 pm

super michael wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:51 pm How is Otokosuki being a predator? He isn't forcing Trunks to do anything. The worst Otokosuki did was wink at Trunks, if I remember right.
'Big-Muscled Stereotypical Gay Guy Character winks at age-gap teenager twink, twink has negative reaction' is code for telling your audience to find the gay guy icky.
super michael wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:51 pmLee didn't kiss Sakura. Lee was blowing air kisses, that is a huge difference. That is Lee showing that he like Sakura. Sakura overreacted.

Sakura didn't overreact because a girl getting creeped out by some strange guy that she doesn't know blowing air kisses at her is an appropriate response. It's creepy as shit and not appropriate.
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:22 pm Otokosuki: You're just my type. I promise I won't hurt you too bad <3

Trunks: [visibly uncomfortable and creeped out]

Seriously, how do you both keep doing this? I just *facepalm*

The one gay character in nearly 10 years since the last one a and he's portrayed as an over the top stereotype making a straight character uncomfortable.
Holy fuck, I don't even remember that bit of dialogue. That's some major subtext for gay anal sex.
She/Her
bisexual milf

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Coming in with no context at all, even just the very name "男好き" is the tip-off to know that it's a caricature character.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:38 pm

JulieYBM and MasenkoHA looks like you are both right. I didn't remember a quote that was said in the anime.
Otokosuki was written in a negative way.

GhostEmperorX I wish I knew how to read Japanese and understand it, sadly I never had the time to learn it. However it sounds like you make a valid case there.

I guess Lee blowing air kisses isn't good, however Sakura acting she is being shot with bullets is overreacting.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:42 pm

super michael wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:38 pm however Sakura acting she is being shot with bullets is overreacting.
It's a gag reaction (and a poor decision to depict such a thing comedically given the context of the series), but it's hardly overreacting to show discomfort towards a man you don't know making unwanted sexual and romantic advances. Like, Jesus Christ, think about how women feel for once.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:44 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:27 pm
super michael wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:51 pm Holy fuck, I don't even remember that bit of dialogue. That's some major subtext for gay anal sex.
OMG best response ever.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:47 pm

super michael wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:38 pm GhostEmperorX I wish I knew how to read Japanese and understand it, sadly I never had the time to learn it. However it sounds like you make a valid case there.
It's just the same name but rendered in Kanji/Kana. Means "I like Men" or w/e other equivalent phrase you can think of, not sure mine was the best one out there.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:48 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:42 pm
super michael wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:38 pm however Sakura acting she is being shot with bullets is overreacting.
It's a gag reaction (and a poor decision to depict such a thing comedically given the context of the series), but it's hardly overreacting to show discomfort towards a man you don't know making unwanted sexual and romantic advances. Like, Jesus Christ, think about how women feel for once.
Looks like you make a really good point, you are correct there. Sakura had every reason to show discomfort toward Lee blowing kisses to her, especially when she didn't know him.
However insulting Lee appearance wasn't a good thing. Had she insulted Lee action, then yes I would agree.

GhostEmperorX thanks for explaining it, now I understand.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:01 pm

super michael wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:48 pm
Looks like you make a really good point, you are correct there. Sakura had every reason to show discomfort toward Lee blowing kisses to her, especially when she didn't know him.
However insulting Lee appearance wasn't a good thing. Had she insulted Lee action, then yes I would agree.

Those comments began after he began making unwanted advances on her—while they were both at a work function. That is not appropriate behavior.

Sakura turned Lee down once and he kept making creepier advances, like the blowing of the kisses. That is creepy and inappropriate behavior on his part.

Your comparison back to Otokosuki is, once again, bad.
She/Her
bisexual milf

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:55 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:01 pm
super michael wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:48 pm

Those comments began after he began making unwanted advances on her—while they were both at a work function. That is not appropriate behavior.

Sakura turned Lee down once and he kept making creepier advances, like the blowing of the kisses. That is creepy and inappropriate behavior on his part.

Your comparison back to Otokosuki is, once again, bad.
You have won this debate, every point you have made are good.
I can see why my comparison wasn't good.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:28 am

The battle between Videl vs Spopovich they added the scene, which the audience and Videl cheerleader were both horrified and upset at Spopovich just torturing, since he could have threw her outside the ring. Instead Spopovich wanted to beat her up.

The battle was good though. Adding the audience reaction was a nice touch on Toei part.

As for Dragon Ball Z movie, while they contradict the anime they are enjoyable.

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:56 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:27 pm 'Big-Muscled Stereotypical Gay Guy Character winks at age-gap teenager twink, twink has negative reaction' is code for telling your audience to find the gay guy icky.

-

Sakura didn't overreact because a girl getting creeped out by some strange guy that she doesn't know blowing air kisses at her is an appropriate response. It's creepy as shit and not appropriate.

Apologies for the really late reply, I just saw this thread and thought I'd add my two cents.

I know it's partly because the whole leather BDSM thing was seen as the (negative) stereotype for gay men in the '80s and '90s (something South Park parodied with Mr. Slave, in stark contrast to DBZ playing it straight, no pun intended lol), but somehow I feel it makes it even worse that Otokosuki is clearly modeled on the biker from the Village People. Like, c'mon... I know they're cheesy af, but they don't deserve THAT lol

In my opinion, Naruto as a series was ALWAYS pretty goddamn terrible for the most in its depiction of female characters. The female characters in Naruto, with VERY little exception, fell entirely into one of two categories: "I'm a pathetically milquetoast girl who has absolutely nothing in the way of any sort of real personality whatsoever and am defined solely by the fact that I'm super duper sweet to everyone all the time" a la Hinata, Rin, Kurenai, etc., and, sadly the MUCH more prevalent of the two... "I am a horribly violent, mean, angry, bitchy, physically and emotionally abusive asshole who exemplifies the ancient stereotype of women on their periods that not only is just plain false but is also severely damaging to women", like Sakura, Ino, Tsunade, Kushina, Karin, Mei Terumī, Karui, Shikamaru's mom, Kiba's mom, etc.

Again, there were a few exceptions like Konan, Anko, Samui, etc. who were actually somewhat interesting characters who don't go too far in either direction, but they're unfortunately all such minor characters who have such little screentime that it hardly makes any difference. And it just kinda sucks to think that so many young men in Japan and America (and I'm sure many other countries as well, those two are just the ones I have the most experience with), especially the current generation in America considering how recent it really was when Naruto first started getting popular here, grew up with a series that really doesn't exactly respect women very much. Not exactly good lessons to teach kids, ESPECIALLY boys, if you ask me.

That's just one of the many, MANY things about Naruto as a series that made it so I could never really get into it, along with the HORRIBLY sluggish pacing (it's bad in the manga to begin with, and it's downright UNBEARABLE in the anime), the mostly badly-written and unfunny humor that tended to be miss much more than hit (it wasn't great in the manga, but I feel that Studio Pierrot's writers in particular tend to have a problem with that, as evidenced with their godawful additions to Yū Yū Hakusho that were incredibly unfunny and cringe in comparison to Togashi's mostly genuinely hilarious gags), the ridiculous Sharingan wank later in the series that just went way, WAY too fucking far to be believable anymore, the EXTREME overuse of "You thought this guy was the big bad? Turns out there's another guy controlling him!! Oh, you thought HE was the big bad? Well, guess what...?" that also ruined immersion, the fact that the entire final arc was just ATROOOOCIOUSLY written (IMO it's on par with the Tournament of Power in Dragon Ball Super for worst final arc in a battle shōnen ever. Yecch), and, most importantly of all... I really just don't like the three main characters (Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke) all that much.

There are things I do like about the series; the gorgeous art in the manga, the worldbuilding, the music in the anime, some of the characters (though most of the ones I genuinely like and find interesting are either dead long before the series starts like Minato, Hashirama, and Tobirama, are supporting characters who die partway through like Itachi, Jiraiya, Hiruzen, and Asuma, or are extremely minor characters... really, Kakashi, Gai, and Shikamaru are the only exceptions to that I can think of offhand...), but those things just are NOT enough to cover all those other issues.

Toriyama/Tōei certainly have/had their issues with the way they write women (and obviously they had SEVERE issues with their gay characters, but that discussion's already been put to bed here), but I feel like it's nowhere near the level that it got to with Kishimoto/Pierrot. One thing I can say for Toriyama as opposed to Kishimoto is that I feel that Toriyama was much more aware of his strengths and weaknesses than Kishimoto was. Toriyama was not great at writing female characters and romance, so he shied away from it as much as he could. Kishimoto was even worse at that kind of thing IMO... and yet he depicted it very frequently and the series absolutely suffered for it.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:06 pm

Aside of the obvious problems when it comes to depicting women and homosexuality (that is also present in Toriyama's work), I'd say they did a fantastic job.

It's pretty much a play-by-play take of the manga, while other animes take much more liberties when it comes to telling the story. I have watched more animes than I've read mangas, so my knowledge about how faithful other animes are to their respective source material is not much, but the animated shows of the mangas I've read have changed many things that aren't to my liking. Other changes actually improve the story, but from my experience it's not usually the case.
So I commend TOEI for sticking to what the story was and just letting themselves loose only for the filler which they have used to improve upon the manga's shortcomings (like Vegeta just being there at Capsule Corp like he didn't murder everybody a year ago).
They managed to bridge some gaps and provide more insight on certain characters with many filler episodes, not to mention the humor present.

The pacing was awful and many times just destroying all the tension, but it's not like it's impossible to get through. My issues with the pacing come from re-watching the show, I didn't really care much about it back in the day, even though you'd wait all day long for the brand new episode just for half of it to be a staring contest or a shouting World Cup.

They have nailed it with the VAs, even though I believe some dubs have improved certain things from the original version.

Artwise, they did a much better job 30 years ago than 8 years ago, so that's another W. Blame that on who they hired or how much they invested, they kicked ass.

You are more than welcome to prefer shows that diverge greatly from the source, like what they did with DBS, that's just another man's cup of tea. But in this style of adaption they did a damn good job.