Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 97 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 97 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:21 pm

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 97

暴走セルマックス
Bōsō Seru Makkusu
Cell Max Runs Wild

-------------------------------

Release Information:

JAPAN:
Date: September 21, 2023
Publication: V-Jump, November 2023 Issue
Cost: ¥640

(V-Jump is forward-dated two months from its actual release window. Issues are generally released on the 21st of each month, barring a Sunday or a holiday, in which case the issue gets moved up a day appropriately.)

INTERNATIONAL:
Date: September 20, 2023 (timed to the JP midnight-on-September-21st release)
Publication: Digital (Viz/Shonen Jump + Manga Plus)
Cost: Free

STORYBOARDS/DRAFTS:
The first several pages of any given chapter's roughs/storyboards/drafts have been posted on the official Dragon Ball website for quite some time now (in all likelihood done in an attempt to combat piracy and control the narrative by releasing teases of specific information and context at their own discretion). The drafts for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 97 were posted on September 14 (Japan time). As these specific articles are generally removed from the website upon the chapter's formal release, archived versions of these links (such as this) are generally shared by fandom.

-------------------------------

THREAD/DISCUSSION INFORMATION

This is the "official" discussion thread for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 97. All content regarding this specific chapter would be great to include here in this thread, rather than the dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread. Posts that are specific to the individual chapter in the gigantic thread with no relevance to the larger series will be reported and/or removed.

Q: When will this thread open?

A: This thread will be opened by a Kanzenshuu moderator when the first official promotion of the respective chapter occurs. This may be when its storyboards are shared, or in some kind of formal news article leading up to that point. Please do not create a separate thread of your own to discuss this chapter.

Q: What is the history behind a [blank]-specific discussion thread?

A: We established episode-specific discussion threads beginning with Dragon Ball Kai in 2011, followed by the Dragon Ball Super television series in 2015. These episode-specific threads allowed people to discuss just that: those specific episodes, without being interrupted by other discussions regarding general production, promotion, etc. We didn't create corresponding Dragon Ball Super manga chapter threads at its debut due to the nature of its production: it was initially billed as a "comicalization" of the television series, and the first arc barely stood on its own as a unique production, rather than supplemental/incidental/disposable. We had kept the larger thread out of inertia from those earlier chapters, and have wavered for literal years over whether or not to separate them out.

Q: We've had worthwhile individual chapters since chapter five. This is absurd. Why are you just starting individual discussion threads so many years into the manga, when the TV series had it from the start?

A: All of that is correct. Maybe we will go back and pull out threads for past chapters. Maybe we won't. We should have done this a long time ago. Better late than never. This is the plan for now on and is not currently up for discussion or reconsideration. Thank you.

Q: OK, but... so what's the point?

A: At Kanzenshuu we believe in history and preservation. It is worthwhile to future versions of ourselves and entirely new future fans to be able to dig back and find real-time reactions to specific productions (such as a specific episode or chapter). It's much easier to do this when the discussions are separated into these unique threads.

Q: When will new threads be created?

A: Threads for new/upcoming manga chapters will be created by a Kanzenshuu administrator at an appropriate point in time following the release of a previous chapter, and ahead of that next chapter's release schedule (which itself includes the official drafts/storyboards).

Q: OK, so what do you expect us to actually discuss in a chapter thread, particularly ahead of its release?

A: For some time now, Shueisha (in all likelihood to combat "leaks" and illegal piracy) has released "draft" pages of upcoming chapters in the two weeks leading up to any given chapter's release. These are official pieces of information dissemination and absolutely up for discussion. We welcome questions about where and how to legally and officially consume the manga. We do not condone nor allow the discussion or encouragement of piracy. Following a chapter's release, of course anything relating to that chapter and its contents are up for discussion in a specific thread.

Q: What kinds of "sources" can we discuss?

A: You can discuss whatever you want, so long as it lives up to the community guidelines. It is recommended that you link to / discuss actual sources of information, rather than second-hand accounts. Twitter and its users are not "sources" of information. Shueisha has its own official Dragon Ball website and weekly news broadcast on YouTube, which will in all likelihood be your actual primary sources of information leading up to a chapter's release.

Q: What if I have something to say about another chapter that's not this chapter?

A: Is what you have to say/ask/post even tangentially related to this chapter? That's fine. Does it have absolutely nothing to do with this chapter? Post it elsewhere. These chapter-specific threads do not automatically close after a new chapter comes out; you are free to keep discussing a specific chapter for as long as you all feel like talking about it.

Q: So what do we do with the big/main thread?

A: The dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread is still perfect for overall/holistic discussion regarding the manga, its production, its promotion, its content relation to other parts of the franchise, etc.

Q: I want to learn more about what's going on with this manga's production!

A: Check out Episode #0489 of our podcast for an extreme deep-dive (with all the receipts you can eat!) into the production of the manga, including all of the ways that Toyotaro, Akira Toriyama, and Victory Uchida each individually contribute to it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 97 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:08 am

Disappointed with the whole "grounded for months" bit for Goten/Trunks as an explanation why they're still so weak.
Two half saiyans with insane potential and this is how the story always treats them.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:38 am

Xeogran wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:08 am Disappointed with the whole "grounded for months" bit for Goten/Trunks as an explanation why they're still so weak.
Two half saiyans with insane potential and this is how the story always treats them.
Yes yes let these two be the next Goku and Vegeta with another super duper form 1 to 15 with no personalities of their own. They have their quiet lives and their own identities and down-to-earth concerns and that's for the best.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:02 am

Alkiser wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:38 am Yes yes let these two be the next Goku and Vegeta with another super duper form 1 to 15 with no personalities of their own. They have their quiet lives and their own identities and down-to-earth concerns and that's for the best.
They don't need to be Goku and Vegeta, but this is still Dragon Ball.
People whined when GT Trunks didn't display the badassery of Future Trunks, but now since it's happening to DBS Trunks, we're supposed to be quiet.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:07 am

Not going to lie, the fact that Bulma had the GALL to call them 'useless' in the previous chapter, combined with the reveal that she and Chi-Chi grounded them for 6 FREAKING MONTHS, is honestly pissing me off more than it should.

Like, lady... YOU grounded them from doing much of anything (apparently including training) for half a year. What did you THINK was going to happen?? I mean, is she NOT aware of the reason as to why Gohan's been having trouble getting much of a leg up in recent battles lately?

You know what's a bit depressing about all of this? The boys off-handedly mention around the beginning of this mini-arc that part of why they even bothered to partake in this Saiyaman thing is because no one ever calls them to help out against huge threats anymore, so they've been feeling pretty useless. They figured they may as well put their talents to use elsewhere.

Which makes it a bit irritating how everyone (well, Goku and Vegeta, at least) calls them out for slacking off by the End of Z, when they DON'T want to train.

The weird thing is, I can see Chi-Chi pulling this, but BULMA? I mean, I'll give Bulma this much: at least she acknowledges in this chapter that she really screwed up by not allowing the two of them to (at least) train occasionally.
It just bugs me that whenever they DON'T want to get involved with fighting, everyone forces them to do so then.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:16 am

but how else will jump make sure all the little kids reading their comics will grow up to think badly of women?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:17 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:02 am
Alkiser wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:38 am Yes yes let these two be the next Goku and Vegeta with another super duper form 1 to 15 with no personalities of their own. They have their quiet lives and their own identities and down-to-earth concerns and that's for the best.
They don't need to be Goku and Vegeta, but this is still Dragon Ball.
People whined when GT Trunks didn't display the badassery of Future Trunks, but now since it's happening to DBS Trunks, we're supposed to be quiet.
Any sane person knows that Trunks from GT and Super will never be like Future Trunks due to completely different experiences and resume. Future Trunks trained from the beginning to be a warrior to save his world when the current Trunks had a happy childhood with assured luxury, a best friend along with access to the best possible school that will provide him with an education.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:36 pm

Alkiser wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:17 pm Any sane person knows that Trunks from GT and Super will never be like Future Trunks due to completely different experiences and resume. Future Trunks trained from the beginning to be a warrior to save his world when the current Trunks had a happy childhood with assured luxury, a best friend along with access to the best possible school that will provide him with an education.
Yep, I agree with this 100% :thumbup:

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:24 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:16 am but how else will jump make sure all the little kids reading their comics will grow up to think badly of women?
It's truly boggles my mind how this series treats women after all of this time. Like, you'd think there'd be SOME positive change, but...

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:09 pm

I don't get the point about women.
It look like someone want for characters to be "aware being into a shonen", so Bulma have to incite his son to go into the eye of the storm for our own fun. That's not what a mother, and what those mothers, will do.
It's "anti-climatic", but is not against female figures. In a given sense, the only correct fatherly figure so far is an asexual green alien, so you can tell DB is a bit more wrong on male figures.
As a father, the last thing I wish for my son is to spend time risking his life against killer aliens.
So, to me, is perfectly fitting. You cannot have actual mothers and then pretend they act like https://joe.fandom.com/wiki/Danpei_Tange. (as long isn't a builiding block of their storylines, of course).

Goten and Trunks are a Katzenjammer Kids parody. It was so since the beginning, by kaizen rules forever will be. They aren't there to get the spotlight but to move the plot/fill empty panels.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:33 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:24 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:16 am but how else will jump make sure all the little kids reading their comics will grow up to think badly of women?
It's truly boggles my mind how this series treats women after all of this time. Like, you'd think there'd be SOME positive change, but...
jump doesn't let women be editors on their magazines. they don't want to change, they don't want to acknowledge that they were wrong.

it really suuucks
She/Her
bisexual milf

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:33 pm
jump doesn't let women be editors on their magazines. they don't want to change, they don't want to acknowledge that they were wrong.

it really suuucks
Wait, they've NEVER had a female editor? Forgive me if it sounds like I'm late to the party, but... WOW. :shock:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:44 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:38 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:33 pm

it really suuucks
Wait, they've NEVER had a female editor? Forgive me if it sounds like I'm late to the party, but... WOW. :shock:
Shueisha technically gives a non-commital answer to the question, but it's pretty clear to me what the attitude there is.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:45 pm

It's a boys magazine, aimed at boys, that has male editors because they best know what boys like.

The female magazines, aimed at girls most likely have female editors because they best know what girls like.

Big shocker.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:49 am

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:45 pm It's a boys magazine, aimed at boys, that has male editors because they best know what boys like.

The female magazines, aimed at girls most likely have female editors because they best know what girls like.

Big shocker.
Ah yes, boys, classically known for being born with a desire to hate women and have that depicted in their comics about big hot buff guys punching one another

Sir, in our historically sexist society we need to take steps to making sure that our media doesn't depict women poorly. Bringing in women to edit the very gender neutral genre of "hot guys beating each other up until they're half naked from battle damage" so that crass assholes don't perpetuate weird gender stereotypes about women in comics aimed at kids is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Furthermore, JUMP is known for having a massive female readership. The massive corporation can be held to the standard of publishing art that isn't perpetuating dumb shit.

The depiction of women in Dragon Ball is a distraction from the fucking point of the comic.
She/Her
bisexual milf

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:15 am

This manga adaptation is essentially following the script of the movie, Goten and Trunks were destined to be near useless like how in the movie they couldn't even fuse correctly.

So I'm not understanding how story contrivances making sure that happens relates to sexism. The entire premise of Goten and Trunks having secret identities never made sense in the first place when Gohan was a Saiyaman just fine, hell Bulma even created the suit for him. It's probably just Toyotarou taking inspiration from the Marvel/western superhero comics he likes like Spider-Man etc.

Also you say there's been no positive change? Oh are you not a fan of Pan then? Who actively pursues and shows an interest in martial arts while never actually being a damsel in distress throughout the entire movie. What about the female saiyans of Universe 6? What about #18 being given more active roles in the TOP, Moro Arc and Super Hero compared to when she didn't do much of anything in the Buu saga.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:21 am

There are some interesting topics here, but they're going beyond the scope of discussion for this chapter of the manga -- which isn't out yet. If you're interested in creating a new/separate thread, by all means please do so.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:08 am

I know there are some spoilers going around, but here's my prediction: some extra scenes with the Clean God enthusiasts(probably funny enough), Cell Max going nuts and people not being able to do anything to him, probably Fatenks shows up after the CG wannabes fail, and it either ends with Gamma's sacrifice not being enough, or with Beast Gohan, which I think will be left for the next, and hopefully final chapter of the arc.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:30 am

dragonballhero wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:07 am Not going to lie, the fact that Bulma had the GALL to call them 'useless' in the previous chapter, combined with the reveal that she and Chi-Chi grounded them for 6 FREAKING MONTHS, is honestly pissing me off more than it should.

Like, lady... YOU grounded them from doing much of anything (apparently including training) for half a year. What did you THINK was going to happen?? I mean, is she NOT aware of the reason as to why Gohan's been having trouble getting much of a leg up in recent battles lately?

You know what's a bit depressing about all of this? The boys off-handedly mention around the beginning of this mini-arc that part of why they even bothered to partake in this Saiyaman thing is because no one ever calls them to help out against huge threats anymore, so they've been feeling pretty useless. They figured they may as well put their talents to use elsewhere.

Which makes it a bit irritating how everyone (well, Goku and Vegeta, at least) calls them out for slacking off by the End of Z, when they DON'T want to train.

The weird thing is, I can see Chi-Chi pulling this, but BULMA? I mean, I'll give Bulma this much: at least she acknowledges in this chapter that she really screwed up by not allowing the two of them to (at least) train occasionally.
It just bugs me that whenever they DON'T want to get involved with fighting, everyone forces them to do so then.
I don't like how it's the explanation for why they're so weak. We didn't really need to know why they're so weak at this point because we assumed they were slacking off and living normal lives. That explanation is better than, "they were grounded so they didn't train for 6 months". Super never fails to give the worst explanation for questions we never even asked.

And I do agree with the general sentiment expressed on this thread. This feels like the writer or editor wants to shove the blame on Bulma and Chi-Chi for the boys not training. Feels very unnecessary.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:23 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:49 amThe depiction of women in Dragon Ball is a distraction from the fucking point of the comic.
Don't like it. Don't read it.