Which villain would be the closest to achieving Ultra Instinct?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Which villain would be the closest to achieving Ultra Instinct?

Post by Yuji » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:52 am

Not antagonists like Jiren or Hit, but full on villains who presumably have their mind and hearts set on other things and would have a hard time clearing themselves of all emotion.

Pure Boo comes to my mind.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Which villain would be the closest to achieving Ultra Instinct?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:05 am

Zamasu. He is a Supreme Kai, so:

1) He already has knowledge of Ultra Instinct; The Supreme Kais are shown acknowledging UI/MUI in the ToP, and Zamasu directly acknowledges UI in Heroes.
2) he has an affinity with God Ki, because he's literally a God, this will make it much easier to tap into the God technique UI;
3) he has Goku's actual body, so he can replicate anything Goku does, if give enough time to master the body.
4) As indicated by his tea, he had purity of heart, which means that his mind and heart were not clouded by any doubt or secondary thought;
5) He is famous and praised as a fighting genius and prodigy, even amongst the Supreme Kais. If some random earthling fodder like Roshi could tap into UI for a few seconds, there's no way a genius God like Zamasu can't replicate that;

Zamasu easily has the best chances of attaining any version of UI. But realistically he will never get it, because he already has his own unique transformation in Super Saiyan Rosé, a form that can be as strong as the writers want (just look at how Rosé in Heroes is so strong that it is a Gogeta Blue-level threat). So, even though he could easily reach UI if he wanted to, the writers will never let him have it because he already has Rosé as his signature form.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:21 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:05 am Zamasu. He is a Supreme Kai, so:

1) He already has knowledge of Ultra Instinct; The Supreme Kais are shown acknowledging UI/MUI in the ToP, and Zamasu directly acknowledges UI in Heroes.
2) he has an affinity with God Ki, because he's literally a God, this will make it much easier to tap into the God technique UI;
3) he has Goku's actual body, so he can replicate anything Goku does, if give enough time to master the body.
4) As indicated by his tea, he had purity of heart, which means that his mind and heart were not clouded by any doubt or secondary thought;
5) He is famous and praised as a fighting genius and prodigy, even amongst the Supreme Kais. If some random earthling fodder like Roshi could tap into UI for a few seconds, there's no way a genius God like Zamasu can't replicate that;

Zamasu easily has the best chances of attaining any version of UI. But realistically he will never get it, because he already has his own unique transformation in Super Saiyan Rosé, a form that can be as strong as the writers want (just look at how Rosé in Heroes is so strong that it is a Gogeta Blue-level threat). So, even though he could easily reach UI if he wanted to, the writers will never let him have it because he already has Rosé as his signature form.
Do you think Goku Black's version of UI would also have a different color?
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:50 am

Ultra Ego would be more in line with Zamasu's mindset. He's described multiple times as having the mindset of a God of Destruction.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:51 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:21 am Do you think Goku Black's version of UI would also have a different color?
Yes. Due to his nature as a God, his Super Saiyan form already has a unique colour never seen before. For the same logic, his UI would also have a differently-coloured aura compared to the mortals (he would still have white hair since that seems to be permanent for everyone, even Angels).

Yuji wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:50 am

Ultra Ego would be more in line with Zamasu's mindset. He's described multiple times as having the mindset of a God of Destruction.
Zamasu wants to destroy every mortal species, while the Destroyers try to keep some form of balance. On top of this, the Destroyers and even Vados don't care if they destroy random planets; meanwhile, Zamasu, as a Creation God, loves the nature and wants to preserve the planets. He stated multiple times that his ultimate objective was to create a new "utopia", hence why he preserved the planets and just killed their inhabitants. Destroyers don't care about of any of that and are willing to randomly destroy worlds for fun. Zamasu would never randomly destroy any world.

Even so, Ultra Ego would work for Goku Black because he's a masochist who enjoys pain, but Ultra Instinct would also make sense, because (Anime) Goku Black is able to maintain his calm and composure even against overwhelming odds, and rarely let his emotions get the better of him. And while, Yes, sometimes Black becomes too emotional, the same can be said for Goku too. The fact is that (Anime) Black rarely loses his calm and composure and, as such, his mentality is fit for UI.

But, even in the Manga, Toyotaro certainly drew Black in a calm demeanour when he first transformed into Rosé.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:07 am

Goku Black would.

He outmaneuvered Goku at every turn. I have no doubt that if he saw Goku achieve UI then he would do it as well.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:51 am

ZombieVito wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:07 am Goku Black would.

He outmaneuvered Goku at every turn. I have no doubt that if he saw Goku achieve UI then he would do it as well.
It's impressive that he was already able to mimic Goku's signature moves before even having the opportunity to fight him. He already knew how to use Kamehameha and Super Saiyan, which are Goku's trademark abilities, before ever getting to see him in person.

Fighting Goku once allowed him to power-up immensely and attain Super Saiyan Rosé.

Black is far superior to Ginyu or even Baby Vegeta, his potential is immense and his ability to mimic the body he stole is unsurpassed and flawless. I have no doubt that he would be able to mimic Ultra Instinct with ease, if he ever got the chance to see it/fight it.

We should also remember that Zamasu was always praised as a fighting genius/prodigy (no such thing was ever stated for Ginyu/Baby). His body changed, but his exceptionally-high IQ remained the same. He excels at fighting, he is very skilled at fighting, he is very intelligent, so he will learn how to mimic UI, like he learned how to mimic all of Goku's other signature moves just by seeing/fighting Goku once.

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:04 am

I don't think Zamasu could even stand a chance at having Ultra Instinct. While it's true, he is tied to god ki, like no villain have been, the prospect of him being pure and have his mind clear enough to achieve this is unlikely.

Let's face it. Zamasu/Black talk all the time about themselves and their plan and won't shut up about it. They are full of themselves, full of ego and constantly have to put in your face why their actions are right. This makes me think of a very insecure person, who constantly yaps about himself to cover it.

Zamasu is kind of a philosopher who constantly talks, discusses this literally with himself and then talks again and falls in love with that he says.

UI is nothing like that. There you just KNOW what to do and do it without thinking. The whole purpose of Zamasu is overthinking.

And while it is shown subtely, deep down he is very conflicted (the tea scene which you mentioned clearly shows impure thoughts in the end, the monster he finally turns into).
Zamasu is an unstable, discussively unsecure individual with inflated ego... nothing cries UI about it.

As for me I think the villain which would be best suited is Kid Buu. He is pure - pure evil - but still there isn't any thought in there. Just pure, concecrated action and that would go toe to toe with UI in my book.
Besides the last addition in Moro about Kid Buu having god ki, ties this nicely.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:28 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:51 am It's impressive that he was already able to mimic Goku's signature moves before even having the opportunity to fight him. He already knew how to use Kamehameha and Super Saiyan, which are Goku's trademark abilities, before ever getting to see him in person.

Fighting Goku once allowed him to power-up immensely and attain Super Saiyan Rosé.

Black is far superior to Ginyu or even Baby Vegeta, his potential is immense and his ability to mimic the body he stole is unsurpassed and flawless. I have no doubt that he would be able to mimic Ultra Instinct with ease, if he ever got the chance to see it/fight it.

We should also remember that Zamasu was always praised as a fighting genius/prodigy (no such thing was ever stated for Ginyu/Baby). His body changed, but his exceptionally-high IQ remained the same. He excels at fighting, he is very skilled at fighting, he is very intelligent, so he will learn how to mimic UI, like he learned how to mimic all of Goku's other signature moves just by seeing/fighting Goku once.
He didn't know how to use Super Saiyan until he fought him. His Super Saiyan is Super Saiyan Rose.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:11 pm

Ironically enough, I think Pure Buu could've conceivably had a shot.

The dude was chaos incarnate, and I've no doubt that most of it is already mindless enough as is. All he needs to do is not revel in the chaos as much, and he's well on his way to becoming the most aggressive UI user around.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:29 pm

Yeah, Kid Buu seems like the best suited for this. Due to his unique mindset and ability to mimic just about anything he sees.

The other guys, Zamasu, Cell, Freeza they are too full of themselves to clear up their minds and let go. They are not trained, accustomed or even interested in not being present in their own minds and go with the flow, at all.
Zamasu's inner turmoil is a recipe for failing to achieve it, Cell gives himself too little margin for error, once somebody put him to shame, he lost his mind. Freeza is becoming something different, we have yet to see how far along he's come as a martial artist, but I still think he is not UI material.
UE would suit all of them much better than UI, focusing their efforts in something in particular rather than in nothing at all.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:39 pm

It's funny how people here are arguing that Zamasu (a Supreme Kai genius who has trained his whole life) wouldn't be able to use UI because he can get emotional at times (who doesnt?), but then argue that Pure Buu, a literal animal with no brain, could use it. UI as a technique requires skill and finesse, Pure Buu is literally just a raging animal.

Secondly, at least as far as the Anime is concerned, MUI Goku got a major power-boost when Jiren made him angry for trying to kill his friends.

The Anime never stated that you have to "clear your mind of everything" to use UI... in fact, the opposite happened. MUI Goku got a massive, final power-boost when his mind became enraged at Jiren trying to kill his friends (before that boost, Goku was not able to defeat Jiren).

So, in the Anime, MUI can still be used/increase in power even when in an enraged state. Therefore, the fact that Zamasu is prone to mood swings and fits of rage would actually boost his MUI power-level.

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:06 pm

But no one here argued Zamasu could not achieve it beacuse "he can get emotional at times".

We argued he cannot use it because he is full of himself, deeply argued and not pure in the slightest.
Which make him actually a contrcandidate for UI even if he has skill and finesse.
Godly Ki and strength isn't enough for it as the show and manga clearly established.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:21 pm

I went with Pure Buu because he's clearly extremely skilled in martial arts when he puts his mind to it, and he already fights quite mindlessly despite his immense strength and skill.

If he learned more martial arts discipline but retained that mindlessness as chaos incarnate, I think he could achieve a very emotionally active form of Ultra Instinct similar to the anime's rage-boosted version and the manga's True Ultra Instinct.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:50 pm

GokuHater wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:06 pm But no one here argued Zamasu could not achieve it beacuse "he can get emotional at times".

We argued he cannot use it because he is full of himself, deeply argued and not pure in the slightest.
Which make him actually a contrcandidate for UI even if he has skill and finesse.
Godly Ki and strength isn't enough for it as the show and manga clearly established.
Where it is stated that you can't be "full of yourself" to use UI? UI is just a technique that allows the body to move autonomously, it doesn't require the individual to be humble... an arrogant person can also learn to clear their mind of everything and let the body take control during fight.

The last time the tea is shown is in episode 55, when he gives the genocidal speech to Gowasu. During this scene, the swirls in the tea are swept away and the tea becomes clear again. This is proof that Zamasu has reached what he considers clarity (he now has no doubts that mortals are evil).

Zamasu is not internally troubled or uncertain or having second-thoughts. In fact, Vegito jokes about Zamasu always having "an answer for everything", because Zamasu internally has no doubts about what he does.

The reason why he loves explaining his plans and motives is not to reassure himself or anything like that; quite the opposite, it's because he's so self-absorbed and narcissistic that he loves hearing his own voice, even when no one's listening (he states this).

Zamasu is pure evil, just like Buu. The only difference is that Buu is so primitive and stupid that he can't even speak, so he naturally seems more evil than Zamasu, but make no mistake; Zamasu is convinced that he has become enlightened and has reached a state of clarity, and he has no doubt whatsoever that he made the right decisions. He literally tries to kill his master after being given the chance for redemption. He is pure evil.

You don't give Zamasu enough credit. Zamasu as Goku Black was able to calmly analyse Vegeta's growth in strength in ep.63, correctly deduce that it came from anger, and managed to successfully replicate it, all during the same fight. This is proof that Black has the correct mindset for UI, because he can calmly analyse his opponent and formulate strategies even while under pressure, and his whole shtick is becoming more and more in-synch with his body as the story progresses, so thematically it makes sense for Black to have the body power of UI.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:04 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:39 pm It's funny how people here are arguing that Zamasu (a Supreme Kai genius who has trained his whole life) wouldn't be able to use UI because he can get emotional at times (who doesnt?), but then argue that Pure Buu, a literal animal with no brain, could use it. UI as a technique requires skill and finesse, Pure Buu is literally just a raging animal.

Secondly, at least as far as the Anime is concerned, MUI Goku got a major power-boost when Jiren made him angry for trying to kill his friends.

The Anime never stated that you have to "clear your mind of everything" to use UI... in fact, the opposite happened. MUI Goku got a massive, final power-boost when his mind became enraged at Jiren trying to kill his friends (before that boost, Goku was not able to defeat Jiren).

So, in the Anime, MUI can still be used/increase in power even when in an enraged state. Therefore, the fact that Zamasu is prone to mood swings and fits of rage would actually boost his MUI power-level.
Part of this is true, emotion does not need to be completely interdicted for UI.

However, I still believe Pure Buu is closer to UI than Zamasu could be. Not because of anger, but because of ego (like many others have stated). Zamasu is very concerned with morality, judgement, and elevation of oneself above animal instincts.

You said it best when you called Buu "an animal." Goku is the only mortal we witness achieve UI and he's a fighting genius with animalistic instinct. He even bites Pure Buu during their battle. Pure Buu is also, coincidentally, a fighting genius despite his apparent lack of civility. His mimicry of other techniques should not be forgotten.

Zamasu is an amazing fighter, but he's clearly not suited for the technique and I imagine it would take much longer for him to achieve UI than Pure Buu. Ultra Ego fits Zamasu much better.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:53 pm

1. Goku Black
2. Buu
3. Captain Ginyu (if given enough time adjusting to Goku's body)
4. Cell

GokuGoldie

Post by GokuGoldie » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:52 am

I am sorry to ask this stupid question but can species other than saiyens can achieve Ultra Instinct?

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:53 am

GokuGoldie wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:52 am I am sorry to ask this stupid question but can species other than saiyens can achieve Ultra Instinct?
There is nothing indicating only Saiyans could pull that off. The Gods of Destruction are also capable of pulling some form of Ultra Instinct although they hadn’t mastered it yet. Besides, Moro pretty much unlocked his own version of Perfect Ultra Instinct after he copied Merus.

By the way, the villain with the most probability of achieving Ultra Instinct would be Pure Boo, as he mets the requirements. He has god power and fights purely on instinct. He is pretty much a mirror to Goku.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:06 pm

GokuGoldie wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:52 am I am sorry to ask this stupid question but can species other than saiyens can achieve Ultra Instinct?
Whis talks like it exists already, and that Gods of Destruction can use it, we even had a brief moment in the Super manga where Beerus used itm and Angels all seem like they have it active by default, plus, Master Roshi kinda got it too in the Super manga.

I think only saiyans can get it as a transformation, but, who knows, UI's rules are vague as fuck, Moro basically got it from copying Merus' power and his hair went white, so it might be a transformation for him too...

Anyways, while I see the point of Kid Buu being the closest to getting UI, I don't really see him getting it, he fights with instinct but in a rather chaotic way, while UI seems to be more, controlled martial arts thing.

Basically I think if he were to get UI, it'd be either by accident or from watching someone else do it, and if he can't get it under his own style, he's never getting it because he can't be taught.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.