Dragon Ball Magic? *RUMOR*

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Magic? *RUMOR*

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:40 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:05 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:47 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:06 pm

It's a good indication something MIGHT be happening, it doesn't confirm Dragon Ball Magic
At this point, I’m inclined to think it’s more likely than Super coming back as an anime.
Right, I'd sooner buy an announcement for 2uper than Dragon Ball Magic
I don’t know. I feel like there’s plenty of smoke at this point. I’m not saying it’s guaranteed, but I don’t think it’s as unlikely as you’re making it sound.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:08 pm

Ajay wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:20 pm To clarify a few things:

- As far as how this leak happened and where this information came from... It's something I've been wondering myself based on what has been said so far. The people responsible don't seem to have any first-hand information themselves. A lot of what they've posted is laughably wrong or misunderstood, but some of the basic details are correct, so at least someone partially in the know told them. My guess is that it's someone junior on the licensor side of things who has very limited info. The anime industry has been plagued with leaks through this type of source - it has lead to full episodes being leaked, announcements being undercut, and entire staff lists making their way into the public. In these worst-case scenarios, it's lead to simulcasts being delayed, so it's an immensely irresponsible thing to do.

I have no idea whether this series will really be unveiled at Comic Con, but it sure would be nice to just put this nonsense to bed and take all the power away from these people auctioning off half-baked info for followers.
So basically, it’s going to be an insane year for DB fans. And that the person who leaked this might get fired if caught?

Ronin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ronin » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:18 pm

What if it's a new series, but it's live action?

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:19 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:43 pm If Komaki Aya is the series director of this supposed series that would make them the first female series director for a Dragon Ball series. That would be neat.
If I’m not mistaken, GT’s director was a woman also named Aya.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:23 pm

NeoKING wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:19 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:43 pm If Komaki Aya is the series director of this supposed series that would make them the first female series director for a Dragon Ball series. That would be neat.
You're thinking of Matsui Aya, who was the series kousei (series composition, i.e. she was in charge of the scripts), not the series director. The series director of Dragon Ball GT was Kasai Osamu.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:45 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:23 pm
NeoKING wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:19 pm
You're thinking of Matsui Aya, who was the series kousei (series composition, i.e. she was in charge of the scripts), not the series director. The series director of Dragon Ball GT was Kasai Osamu.
Thanks for clearing this up! I knew there was a major player in GT with the name Aya, but didn’t know her role exactly.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:31 am

Wonder it will extend Super, or Z only.

Will Beerus appear in this series? He is closely related to Supreme Kai. And in Z, Supreme Kai is supposed to be still merged with Kibito

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:19 am

Why would Toriyama randomly ignore Super, when he created that series?

This new show will obviously take place in the Super timeline. Beerus and Whis might be mentioned/have a cameo, as could any other character from Super.

Plus, the leak talks about Supreme Kai, not Kibito Kai, so this takes place in the Super timeline after Kibito Kai has unfused.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:36 am

Perhaps it's wisest to simply wait for more details before torturing ourselves over what is apparently half-truths?
She/Her
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:57 am

sigmasigma wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:31 am Wonder it will extend Super, or Z only.

Will Beerus appear in this series? He is closely related to Supreme Kai. And in Z, Supreme Kai is supposed to be still merged with Kibito
Given the manga is still ongoing and the two movies under the Super brand name were pretty successful, it would seem weird to completely ignore Super

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:35 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:57 amGiven the manga is still ongoing and the two movies under the Super brand name were pretty successful, it would seem weird to completely ignore Super
If by "Super" we mean "the loose sequence of events involving Beerus, Golden Freeza, Zeno, the Tournament of Power, etc. as depicted across various films, comics, and television episodes", then I think someone would have to be on some insane copium to think that it will ever be ignored going forward. Nevermind recent successes, it's also been going for a decade by this point.

People can say "Dragon Ball has no canon" until the heat death of the universe (and they would be technically correct), but "Super" (the loose sequence of events involving Beerus, Golden Freeza, Zeno, the Tournament of Power, etc.) are certainly something like canon. In the same way that, say, Goku defeating the reincarnation of Piccolo Daimao at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai is like canon. New stories are going to treat these characters as existing and these events as having happened (specific details be damned).

Contrast this with, say, Goku going to highschool and befriending Bulma Enchanto and Chichi McRoberts; such things are not and never will be like canon.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:03 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:37 pm while the stain GT left on her hasn't totally been forgiven, she's definitely gained a lot more goodwill, from what I've seen.
There is no stain, as shown by her presence in a lot of media, Pan has plenty of fans be it SH or GT. And to be honest, she's just a preschooler now, we don't know how teenage Pan will act if Super ever reaches thart part. If Toriyama decides to takes cues from GT, then what? He's about to make Goku a kid again so you never know.

Plus, judging by Toriyama's concept art, she was intended to be the tomboy type in his eyes too:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:10 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:03 pm

Plus, judging by Toriyama's concept art, she was intended to be the tomboy type in his eyes too:
Something tells me Pan being a tomboy isn't what put fans off the character in GT

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:14 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:10 pm Something tells me Pan being a tomboy isn't what put fans off the character in GT
Then what is, her not turning Super Saiyan? People need to realize this wouldn't change much in the grand scheme of things, the villains were all beyond a newbie SS1. Most of the arguments are really overdone by this point.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:30 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:14 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:10 pm Something tells me Pan being a tomboy isn't what put fans off the character in GT
Then what is, her not turning Super Saiyan? People need to realize this wouldn't change much in the grand scheme of things, the villains were all beyond a newbie SS1. Most of the arguments are really overdone by this point.
Speaking personally as a woman, I think that what really irks me is just how little Pan's presence amounted to anything for Pan. She ultimately doesn't really have an arc that grows her as a character across the series, save for a fleeting few moments. Like everyone else in the series, she's there to thread water or in service of Gokuu resolving the plot, despite Gokuu also just treading water as a character.
She/Her
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:40 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:14 pm
Probably her being the annoying standard "I'm big enough to hang with the adults " kid character who does nothing to prove it because she just ended up being a load for Goku to save all the time. She was the designated damsel in distress.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:55 pm

The damsel in distress trope is what bothered me the most, even when she was the one doing the saving, she'd fail so that HostageGoku could free himself and save her... :shifty:
Being a constant bully to a silly little droid like Giru and being so obxnoious didn't do her any favours.
And she deserved to get a SS form, the powerscaling doesn't matter, she put Rildo's face to the ground when she went all Gohan, as a SS she would've been at least on par with the rest of the cast. Stronger than Trunks and Goten, for sure.

Fuck it, it's fiction, it's a story not tied to whatever Toriyama came up with, she's Goku's granddaughter, go nuts with her potential, if she happened to have a freaky Ultimate form like her father that let her be more than something for Goku to save, or something for the villains to use to threaten Goku, then fine by me.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:29 pm

I loved how Pan was basically always antagonizing the adults. I think that the struggle against authority is a proper struggle for your protagonists to always have in stories, especially stories aimed at adults. The problem is that Pan's struggle was never really allowed to have merit and success that lead to her accomplishing a stated goal. In terms of vibes, Pan is really fun. The problem is that the staff didn't seem to lean into this at all. Gokuu and Trunks should have been greater roadblocks to her growth, before being overcome and then brought to support her.
She/Her
bisexual milf

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:18 pm

I don’t see any problem with a “I’m big enough to hang with the adults” kid character. I think the big problem with Pan in GT is that the writers were trying way too hard to make her the new Bulma, and it just doesn’t work.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:21 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:18 pm I don’t see any problem with a “I’m big enough to hang with the adults” kid character.
On its own no, but when said character doesn't do anything to back it up and just becomes a load...