Getting the full Dragon Ball story through games alone

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SMKirbyZX
Not-So-Newbie

Getting the full Dragon Ball story through games alone

Post by SMKirbyZX » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:21 pm

I've been thinking about just how many Dragon Ball games there are that tell the manga/anime's story. Then I've had a thought: Is it possible for someone who knows nothing of dragon ball to be able to experience the full story from start to finish through nothing but these video games? I think it could be possible with multiple video games, but some do it better than others. I have my picks, but I wanna know what you guys think. What collection of games fits the best in telling dragon ball's story, from beginning of OG to End of Z?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Getting the full Dragon Ball story through games alone

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:47 am

The experience might not be the fullest, but with Kakarot you can start with Bardock's DLC, continue with the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai (that starts with Kid Goku fighting Piccolo Daimao), and proceed to play the actual game that goes from Raditz to the Cell arc, stopping for a while to play the Future Trunks DLC, and move on to the Buu arc and you would have gone through the 1990s show just with a joystick. After DBZ is done, you can play the BoG and RoF DLCs...

Now that was just one game and it covered +80% of the franchise, there are a few arcs missing from Dragonball, but you should be able to understand the full story anyway.
If you want to see more of DBS, you can play Xenoverse, you have to play the Parallel Quests, of course. I don't think you'll be able to fully understand DBS like what Kakarot does for Z, though. It goes for GT, as well.

About the first arcs of Dragonball, there must be some old game, probably not that entertaining due to being from the early 90s, late 80s. Although, I think there was a Piccolo Daimaoh game released in the mid 2000s.

If you want GT, Final Bout is the only one IIRC. It has SS4 Goku, Kid Goku, GT adult Goku, GT Trunks, GT Pan, and Ohzaru Vegeta Baby. Can't remember how the story mode goes.
The 2000s had games that had more of GT now that I think about it, with many characters, but again I cant' speak of its story mode.

SMKirbyZX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SMKirbyZX » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:49 pm

Well the problem with the BoG DLC is that, as far as I know, it's not an actual adaptation of the movie. It's completely different material. With OG Dragon Ball there are a handful of games from the 2000's that could work. The two Origins games for DS covers the beginning of DB up to red ribbon, but I've never played that game so idk how faithful it is to the source material. There's revenge of king piccolo on wii, which covers red ribbon to king piccolo, and I remember it doing a decent job. There's also attack of the saiyans for the DS.

The only missing parts are goku's first meeting with kami as well as End of Z.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:32 pm

Someone already mentioned Kakarot.

The GBA titles are also a solid option. Advanced Adventure goes from Pilaf to King Piccolo, and the LoG trilogy covers all of Z (although the 1st game cuts corners, it covers most of the major events). GT Transformation also goes as far as Baby.

This just leaves the 23rd Tournament and the last half of GT not covered by GBA games.

If you just want a fast but accurate way to play Raditz-Cell then Budokai 1 is a solid choice. It obviously skims over a lot and doesn't cover pre-Z or Buu, but it gives you the gist of the Raditz-Cell story and has really good cutscenes.

Tenkaichi 2 actually isn't a terrible option either. It covers almost every major fight from Raditz to Omega Shenron, and offers text to explain what's going on. And if has some okayish cutscenes for certain moments. And it includes most of the Z movies, but doesn't really attempt to make them fit (which is understandable).