TV Asahi runs poll to determine the best Showa, Heisei and Reiwa anime songs. Dragon Ball is very represented

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: TV Asahi runs poll to determine the best Showa, Heisei and Reiwa anime songs. Dragon Ball is very represented

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:12 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:18 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:12 pm My point was that there isn't really a competing iconic song everyone associates with the show because of the diversity of OPs fans introduced to Dragon Ball Z through a dub, English or otherwise, were likely to be exposed to.
Just a moment there, this refers to other iconic anime songs (that didn't get changed out) in general rather than to the different dub songs made for DBZ around the world.
What DBI intended to say with his post is that due to the several replacement openings abroad, Cha La Head Cha La is not as loved when comparedt to other openings.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Re: TV Asahi runs poll to determine the best Showa, Heisei and Reiwa anime songs. Dragon Ball is very represented

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:29 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:12 pm What DBI intended to say with his post is that due to the several replacement openings abroad, Cha La Head Cha La is not as loved when comparedt to other openings.
This I believe is what you're referring to with that:
My point was that there isn't really a competing iconic song everyone associates with the show [Meaning DBZ, emphasis mine] because of the diversity of OPs fans introduced to Dragon Ball Z through a dub, English or otherwise, were likely to be exposed to.
But the line "not going to be able to compete against iconic songs everyone DO associate with the show" was not in reference to Dragon Ball Z internally.

One can see where the mix-up comes from.

And concerning the following:
Since there isn't a universal iconic OP or anything close to it Head Cha-La is more likely to be the more familiar song for the international fandom because the Japanese version is more widely available than any dub.
It has little to no bearing on the topic of this thread, which is a "favourite anime songs" poll. And in particular, it's for the selection of people outside of Japan.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:05 pm

One thing that Dragon Ball Ireland and most people here didnt mention is that in the USA, Toonami always skipped openings. Or at least I heard so. DB's opening was skipped for a custom opening.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:00 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:05 pm One thing that Dragon Ball Ireland and most people here didnt mention is that in the USA, Toonami always skipped openings. Or at least I heard so. DB's opening was skipped for a custom opening.
...but again, that has no relevance to the poll. People were asked what their favorite anime song was, not "are you familiar with Cha-La?" or "what specific song do you associate with Dragonball Z the most?"
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:29 pm

Adamant wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:00 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:05 pm One thing that Dragon Ball Ireland and most people here didnt mention is that in the USA, Toonami always skipped openings. Or at least I heard so. DB's opening was skipped for a custom opening.
...but again, that has no relevance to the poll. People were asked what their favorite anime song was, not "are you familiar with Cha-La?" or "what specific song do you associate with Dragonball Z the most?"
Geez, I just meant that is the reazon Cha La didnt show up in the international version of the poll. That's what I meant to say. Sorry I wasnt clear.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:32 pm

CHA-LA-HEAD-CHA-LA being number 2 behind A Cruel Angel's Thesis isn't surprising at all considering how big Eva was.