Do you prefer reading the manga colored or black and white....? And also...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Do you prefer reading the manga colored or black and white....? And also...

Post by Mireya » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:55 pm

As the title says... And would you reread all the manga just because it was released in color (at least until the Freeza saga)? Or would you just skim through the visuals?

I think some mangas, or maybe most, look better in black and white... Vagabond, for example. All the roughness and the intensity would be taken away when I saw the introduction page for a chapter colored. But I think in shounen-more like mangas, where the design is a little more cartoon-ish, it gets an enhancement by being colored, such as DB and OP. I also feel a good vibe seeing all the auras in different colors, the chi blasts and all. Seems very exciting in a way. Though I've reread the manga so many times already, that sometimes I ask myself, why do I still read it knowing what will happen? As a side question, do you guys reread it repeatedly knowing basically every dialogue? It seems weird but I still do it occasionally. Maybe the simple art draws me heavily to it too. It's different from listening to a song more than once tho, I think listening to a song repeatedly is way more common, expected and explainable than the act of reading a manga with the same story many times, because a song is an emotional, generally, driven thing, which will unlock similar sentiments whenever you listen to it in a certain period, not so much with a manga, imo.

So basically, a 2 questions thread haha.

Bloodthroe

Re: Do you prefer reading the manga colored or black and white....? And also...

Post by Bloodthroe » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:54 am

I prefer the black and white pages, except for the handful of colored pages Toriyama made. They don't really look good in gray scale. I honestly don't like the bright colors of the Full Color release. I think the best way to read it is the Kanzenban release if you can read Japanese. The higher paper quality really makes the lines pop and makes a world of difference compared to tankobon. I honestly don't reread the series as much as I would like to. Same for using my DVDs.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:04 am

I am considering re buying Dragon Ball when the full color edition gets released in France. Is that enough for an answer?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:10 am

I've only read it in black and white. I have the full colored Japanese version, but never read it. It's pretty too flip through, but I don't know what the reading experience would be like. I would imagine it's really nice. It's probably more striking.

Man, Viz dropped the ball really hard there.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:59 pm

I prefer to see the manga in color. I think Toriyama's color sense is nice enough.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Y2_O3

Post by Y2_O3 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:23 am

The stiff and monotonous colors of the digital full color version make the originally lively and interesting story dull, and the saturation, contrast and color matching of the picture are also very poor. My ideal full color comic shouldn't be what it is now. The difference is like the lighting in a movie versus a short video we take randomly around the house with our cell phones. No, short videos shot with mobile phones at least have a sense of reality. The current full color version is neither beautiful nor realistic.
Don't look at people through a scouter.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:38 am

Honestly I'm so used to seeing the manga in black and white there is just something so visually off putting about seeing the manga in color.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:39 am

I perfer it in black and white since that's how it was made. It's the same with movies since most older movies were filmed in black and white. The original King Kong, Night of the Living Dead, Casablanca, etc got color threatments and they don't look very good.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:03 am

I like both as long as they are uncensored.

Black and white is the way it was meant to be.

Colored version is fresh and interesnting to watch, so I would get both versions if possible. Buying DB manga is in my wishlist. Currently I only have mexicsn version of DBZ (by VID publishing house) original from early 2000s.

I don't have DB manga and that is probably the one I will buy first. Maybe the colored one, why not.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:01 pm

The full colored editions are super nice, I love how big they are and the paper quality is really nice, but I think the digital coloring, well obviously understandable, is kinda ugly, and I'd rather just read it in black and white. Maybe not the tankobons though, that quality is a little rough and you're losing the original colored pages anyway.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:09 am

Normally I read the manga in black and white, but reading it in color sounds like a better idea.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:27 am

Since I use the Shonen Jump app, I don't have a choice. There are very few colored chapters of Z, and they look nice, but most of everything else is in black and white.