When do you think the Super anime is returning? Should I read the manga while waiting for the anime?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

When do you think the Super anime is returning? Should I read the manga while waiting for the anime?

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:55 am

I did not want to read the manga of Dragon Ball Super initially but a few days ago I just bought all volumes up to vol 20 because I wanted to see the continuation animated first. With Dragon Ball Daima announced I don't think the anime will come out for minimum two years, maybe not before 4-5. If this is the case, I think reading the manga is worth spending time on, because I don't remember details in such a long time anyway.

When do you think the anime will be back?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: When do you think the Super anime is returning? Should I read the manga while waiting for the anime?

Post by Xeogran » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:26 am

Daima is gonna start airing late 2024 and should go until 2025 if it's a short season.

Then there's gonna be at least a year break after Daima and before Super 2 (if it's gonna be a thing.)
If they want it to look good then most likely even longer.

Most possible dates are like 2027 or 2028 now...
So yeah, not soon.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: When do you think the Super anime is returning? Should I read the manga while waiting for the anime?

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:59 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:26 am Daima is gonna start airing late 2024 and should go until 2025 if it's a short season.

Then there's gonna be at least a year break after Daima and before Super 2 (if it's gonna be a thing.)
If they want it to look good then most likely even longer.

Most possible dates are like 2027 or 2028 now...
So yeah, not soon.
Was exactly what I was thinking. I'll just read it then.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:58 pm

If the Anime returns, we don't even know if they'll adapt the Manga arcs.

The Anime was not an adaptation of the Manga, it was an adaptation of Toriyama's script, and Toriyama's script for the Movie blatantly ignored Moro and Granolah arcs.

So why the Anime should adapt the Manga-only arcs if it returns? It was never a Manga adaptation.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:07 pm

Who knows. The production committee partners appear to be busy with other projects, so it could be a few years before another Dragon Ball Super animated television series begins production and broadcast.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:07 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:58 pm If the Anime returns, we don't even know if they'll adapt the Manga arcs.

The Anime was not an adaptation of the Manga, it was an adaptation of Toriyama's script, and Toriyama's script for the Movie blatantly ignored Moro and Granolah arcs.

So why the Anime should adapt the Manga-only arcs if it returns? It was never a Manga adaptation.
Was is the key word. Why shouldn't it? I imagine it's easier to animate manga content into anime. Plus, the story work's done.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:25 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:07 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:58 pm If the Anime returns, we don't even know if they'll adapt the Manga arcs.

Was is the key word. Why shouldn't it? I imagine it's easier to animate manga content into anime. Plus, the story work's done.
For the average viewer, it would be confusing to go back in time after seeing Super Hero (Daima doesn't count since it's not branded as Super).

The average viewer would look at the animated Moro arc and ask "Why Goten and Trunks are toddlers? They were teens in the Super Hero movie."

So I can easily see the Anime continuing the storyline after Super Hero and maybe adapting whatever Toyotaro does after his retelling.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:49 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:25 pm

For the average viewer, it would be confusing to go back in time after seeing Super Hero (Daima doesn't count since it's not branded as Super).

The average viewer would look at the animated Moro arc and ask "Why Goten and Trunks are toddlers? They were teens in the Super Hero movie."

So I can easily see the Anime continuing the storyline after Super Hero and maybe adapting whatever Toyotaro does after his retelling.
Super Hero was a movie. Apart from Battle of Gods and Resurrection F, no other movie has been adapted into TV anime.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:43 pm

Even then you still have to, you know, animate it. More importantly, if you don't want what happened last time in which you had an anime that was incredibly rushed and looked it, it's gonna take even longer to make it look good and get all the nice sakuga we all want from it.

Also any anime is absolutely going to adapt the manga regardless of the inconsistencies between the original anime and the manga.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:14 am

kemuri07 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:43 pm

Even then you still have to, you know, animate it. More importantly, if you don't want what happened last time in which you had an anime that was incredibly rushed and looked it, it's gonna take even longer to make it look good and get all the nice sakuga we all want from it.

Also any anime is absolutely going to adapt the manga regardless of the inconsistencies between the original anime and the manga.
I know it'll take time.

I didn't understand your second paragraph.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:31 am

Apparently Akio Iyoku wanted the Super anime to continue but Shueshia didn't because they wanted the manga to be the primary focus. From a business standpoint I can see where Shueshia were coming from because a lot of fans don't read the manga, and if they thought new arcs would be adapted they'd be even less inclined to check it out.

I assume whenever Super does continue the Moro, Granolah, and Black Freeza arcs will be adapted and Broly and Super Hero will be retold because Fuji TV wants long running series.

I do worry about it being pushed out too far though. Masako Nozawa isn't getting any younger, and I don't think TOEI would be prepared for the panic scenario they would have themselves in if something happened to her while the anime was still ongoing.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:31 am

DBS Super Heroes movie ignores everything about Dragon Ball, turning Goku into a huge clown that doesn't know what meditation is and how someone body and spirit should be in harmony. Goku looked like a amateur in that movie, didn't understand anything what Vegeta was explaining about his training.
Goku even accuse Vegeta of slacking.

DB Goku did meditation while training with Mr Popo.
DB Goku explained why Ginyu couldn't use more than 23,000 power level while using his body.
DB Goku compliments Vegeta doing standing meditation, before he mentions about the ROSAT.
DB Goku used meditation to unlock SSJ Grade 2 and SSJ Grade 3.
DB Goku explained why overtraining is bad after he finished his training in the ROSAT.
DB Goku before the 25th Martial Art Tournament we see him meditating.
In DBS Anime and Manga we see Goku meditate.
DBS Manga Goku use meditation to unlock TUI.

So no DBS Super Heroes movie doesn't just ignore DBS Manga, they ignore everything relating to Dragon Ball.

The Moro and Granolah is extra Dragon Ball material, that is what fans wants to see. It shows what happens after the ToP and before EOZ and DBS Super Heroes. If they get animated, then those characters and forms can get added into Dragon Ball games.
Manga exclusive characters are not allowed to get added into Dragon Ball games.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:51 am

That's pretty extreme, dude.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:45 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:25 pm

That is a simple thing to fix, they can say a story that takes place after the ToP or after the Broly movie. They can even say the story that took place before DBS Super Heroes.

From a business point it would be stupid not to animate the moro and granolah chapter, since games can't use those characters and form. That is money that they won't be making.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:24 pm

Funny thing is, if they have Moro and Granolah happen after Super Hero, that kinda fixes the consistency error Toyotaro brought about by placing the movie after them (Gohan clearly having kept up his training in those arcs and then being apparently a total slacker in Super Hero, like, even if the movie reveals at the end that he'd been practicing the Makankosappo in secret, dude still shows every sign of having completely let himself go otherwise). And since Goku and Vegeta were barely in Super Hero, and Broly is not in Moro or Granolah, it would not require much work at all to just modify it so the story goes Broly - Super Hero - Moro - Granolah.

And yeah, I do think that if Super ever returns then it should adapt those arcs. For one thing just because it gives them a few months extra to plot out whatever new story they might want to do afterwards, and for another... Yeah, why wouldn't they want to animate stuff like Ultra Ego or Black Freeza? They have like multiple new merchandise options there that they currently are just completely ignoring.

SonTao

Post by SonTao » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:51 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:55 am
Who knows, at this point. Your assessment on Daima's release date is pretty accurate. And Super ended in... 2018 ish? We've had no signs of Super being animated or any progress on animation. So, to hazard a guess? Six or seven years. Maybe eight. Read the manga while you're waiting on the anime (if it ever does return).
Gohan is a neeeeerd.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:47 pm

31st of this month.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:20 pm

Vegard Aune wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:24 pmFunny thing is, if they have Moro and Granolah happen after Super Hero, that kinda fixes the consistency error Toyotaro brought about by placing the movie after them (...). And since Goku and Vegeta were barely in Super Hero, and Broly is not in Moro or Granolah, it would not require much work at all to just modify it so the story goes Broly - Super Hero - Moro - Granolah.
You'd have to fix the error of Goten, Trunks, Marron and Pan, who look like kids/toddlers (Dragon Ball Super Broly), suddenly having an inhumane growth spurt (Dragon Ball Super Super Hero), and then going back to being kids/toddlers (Moro and Granola sagas) again.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:58 pm

"They can make money with Moro character!"

A: BANDAI make money with games. They pay a right fee to Toei. A simple 20$ dollars DLC for XV2 cannot pay for the whole animation of 100+ episodes required..

B: if even so, TOEI make way more incomes by a movie (8M to produce Broly > 150M net income) without any bargain with TV broadcasters/BANDAI. BANDAI was all about paying TOEI ***AFTER*** the results of BoG.

C: DBS manga is made to promote animation, is made by TOEI impulse. Is not that Moro or Granolah are extremely important pieces of lore conceived by Toriyama. They feel like indepths between movies. This same DBSSH manga arc is a promotion of the movie itself (if anyone want to purchase the homevideo, right now). So, really, why looking the past when they can conceive new stuff on the fly when needed?

D: the rise of Daima tell us that they are totally about making DB animation, but why not Morolah? Morolah is a filler made to keep things warm between movies.

E: is so clear that the next movie will show Broly, Black Frieza, Beast Gohan and Orange Piccolo, probably last Goku UI achievements and so on.
After showing that, do you really think they'll engage people with a lowered down power level?
"We've shown you Goku Perfect UI and Ultimate Vegeta UE, not speaking Gogeta Whatever! Now follow us for the story about less than this! Less power and Moro, that's less than Black Frieza!".
Not how Dragon Ball worked since the start.

So the reply is: Moro and Granolah will be never animated. They are fillers and the only chance to see them animated is maybe by some condensed TV special or OVA homevideo,and to be honest that's the perfect lenght for such immotivated, stretched, void stories.
If that will ever happen (maybe in 2026) they can also adapt them to whatever is going on in the franchise that moment, so continuity will be not an issue.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:08 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:58 pm "They can make money with Moro character!"

A: BANDAI make money with games. They pay a right fee to Toei. A simple 20$ dollars DLC for XV2 cannot pay for the whole animation of 100+ episodes required..

B: if even so, TOEI make way more incomes by a movie (8M to produce Broly > 150M net income) without any bargain with TV broadcasters/BANDAI. BANDAI was all about paying TOEI ***AFTER*** the results of BoG.

C: DBS manga is made to promote animation, is made by TOEI impulse. Is not that Moro or Granolah are extremely important pieces of lore conceived by Toriyama. They feel like indepths between movies. This same DBSSH manga arc is a promotion of the movie itself (if anyone want to purchase the homevideo, right now). So, really, why looking the past when they can conceive new stuff on the fly when needed?

D: the rise of Daima tell us that they are totally about making DB animation, but why not Morolah? Morolah is a filler made to keep things warm between movies.

E: is so clear that the next movie will show Broly, Black Frieza, Beast Gohan and Orange Piccolo, probably last Goku UI achievements and so on.
After showing that, do you really think they'll engage people with a lowered down power level?
"We've shown you Goku Perfect UI and Ultimate Vegeta UE, not speaking Gogeta Whatever! Now follow us for the story about less than this! Less power and Moro, that's less than Black Frieza!".
Not how Dragon Ball worked since the start.

So the reply is: Moro and Granolah will be never animated. They are fillers and the only chance to see them animated is maybe by some condensed TV special or OVA homevideo,and to be honest that's the perfect lenght for such immotivated, stretched, void stories.
If that will ever happen (maybe in 2026) they can also adapt them to whatever is going on in the franchise that moment, so continuity will be not an issue.
Please be on this board may enough years so that I can show you your own post when these arcs do get animated hahaha.