A look at the Finnish subtitles for Dragon Ball Z on SubTV

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

A look at the Finnish subtitles for Dragon Ball Z on SubTV

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:44 pm

First of all, this thread would not have been possible without the help of Matias for sharing those videos of SubTV recordings.

Unfortunately Dragon Ball Z's run on TV in Finland is not well documented, and one of the few things I heard about their broadcasts was that the Ocean dub was aired with questionable subtitles, so I decided to look into it.

Here's the subtitles with Google automated translations and comparisons to what was said in the English dubs, in this case one episode from Funimation's dub and one episode of the Westwood dub. The episodes in question are Frieza's Second Transformation (82 uncut, 67 edited) and Final Round (episode 198 uncut, 183 edited).
Something interesting I've noticed is the subs for the Funimation dubbed episode show some signs of rewriting whereas the Westwood episode's subs are closer to the lines said in that episode of the dub.

Of course these are the only two clips I've seen, but presumably there are other Finnish recordings of the show. For now these will have to do. It would be cool to know how the subs in other episodes compared. Maybe even the final episode, which aired in German, as I hear it first aired raw but was then rerun with subtitles.

If there's anyone fluent in Finnish here any comments on the quality of the subs or Google's translations would be great to hear.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Re: A look at the Finnish subtitles for Dragon Ball Z on SubTV

Post by Dragon ball master » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:33 pm

What about the big green dub? Also Are these your photos like? Do you have any more of like the blue water dub

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:41 am

And you used Google translate, mate..

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:59 am

Dragon ball master wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:33 pm What about the big green dub? Also Are these your photos like? Do you have any more of like the blue water dub
I'm not sure, I don't have the Finnish DVDs to compare subs, although from what I understand their dub of the movies is based on the Big Green dub so I'm guessing the subs would be similar to the lines in their dub, unless the subs were redone from the ground up.

I cropped these photos from two videos on YouTube, which Matias shared in my previous SubTV thread:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Us_Zj0eIh0A
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kn5BM1HOIOE

And no don't have any screenshots of the Blue Water dub with subs. From what I've been told the only Dragon Ball series aired in Finland was Z, but Blue Water GT aired in the Netherlands so there may be recordings out there of that dub with Dutch subs.
sangofe wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:41 am And you used Google translate, mate..
I used it for comparisons sake. As I say I'm sure a fluent Finnish speaker would do a better job because humans are better than AI when it comes to the finer details.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:07 am

I found another danish one with subs with the westwood dub of kid goku and demon king piccolo https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sIXlAbyuP ... tpZCBnb2t1

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:13 am

Dragon ball master wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:07 am I found another danish one with subs with the westwood dub of kid goku and demon king piccolo https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sIXlAbyuP ... tpZCBnb2t1
That's not danish. Looks like Dutch.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:34 pm

Dragon ball master wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:07 am I found another danish one with subs with the westwood dub of kid goku and demon king piccolo https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sIXlAbyuP ... tpZCBnb2t1
The Westwood dub aired in the Netherlands with Dutch subtitles, and the cast recorded the flashbacks of original Dragon Ball. This is a clip from a Dutch recording of Westwood Z.