How would you make sense of characters talking through other's minds? And reading them?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

How would you make sense of characters talking through other's minds? And reading them?

Post by Mireya » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:47 am

I see that the telepathy reasoning was never thought up by Toriyama, but if you were forced to come up with just some little reasoning as to how they could do it, what would it be? And what about reading minds?

For example, Goku talked in Kuririn's mind not to kill Vegeta, Piccolo called Gohan for help when Gero had him, Piccolo talking to the kids in the RoSaT when he was entering there with Boo... I think the first exposition to a kind of thing like this was Roshi, but in this case reading minds, reading Nam's mind to know his story? Goku couldn't read minds until Namek and he had to touch Kuririn's haha.

In relation to talking through telepathy, maybe it's a spiritual thing? You can project yourself, much the same way as releasing your chi, you can project your persona and voice through spiritual power? Ten could also talk in Chaozu's head in the 22nd Budokai when Chaozu was paralysing Goku now that I remember it... Maybe their trained enhanced spirits can present itself establishing a bond with the target?

Piccolo could read Kami's mind in the 23rd Budokai but that seemed more like because they were one before. Roshi needed really seriousness and did read Nam's... So maybe it's also some sort of feeling the way the person is feeling, a very enhanced way of putting yourself into the other's shoes as if you were one? Like if in a moment they connected their bodies, like the reason Piccolo could read Kami's?

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: How would you make sense of characters talking through other's minds? And reading them?

Post by theherodjl » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:50 pm

Mireya wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:47 amIn relation to talking through telepathy, maybe it's a spiritual thing? You can project yourself, much the same way as releasing your chi, you can project your persona and voice through spiritual power? Ten could also talk in Chaozu's head in the 22nd Budokai when Chaozu was paralysing Goku now that I remember it... Maybe their trained enhanced spirits can present itself establishing a bond with the target?
That's how I see it. Despite moving exponentially faster than sound, characters still somehow hold conversations while traveling & trading blows, something that shouldn't be scientifically possible. In situations such as the ToP, some characters even have their voices perceived from several hundred feet away even though it also shouldn't be possible to clearly hear someone's voice from that distance. The only thing I can think of is that their Ki is able to project & receive another person's thoughts at such incredible speed as well as distance, that it merely appears that everyone has some kind of superhuman ability to say & hear entire sentences in a fraction of a millisecond.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Re: How would you make sense of characters talking through other's minds? And reading them?

Post by nineko » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:48 pm

Mireya wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:47 amPiccolo talking to the kids in the RoSaT when he was entering there with Boo...
This is the one instance that never made sense to me: if Piccolo was talking at a normal speed, his speech would have lasted for several minutes from the boys' perspective, and vice versa, what they said should have been worse than the songs by the Chipmunks for him.