The languages of Goku's, Vegeta's and Piccolo's techniques

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wobbuffet
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

The languages of Goku's, Vegeta's and Piccolo's techniques

Post by Wobbuffet » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:04 pm

...It's been years since I visited this board.
Anyway.
I was talking with some friends about Dragon Ball, then I said "Toriyama once said that Goku's techniques are in Japanese, Piccolo's techniques are in Chinese and Vegeta's techniques are in English. Wait, maybe it was hiragana for Goku, kanji for Piccolo and katakana for Vegeta. I don't know anymore."
Did Toriyama ever say anything like that? Am I misremembering things? If he ever said something like that, then surely someone here knows.
Sorry, I can't speak English very well, but I'm trying my best.
This is My Anime List.

NeoZ Duwang
Not-So-Newbie

Re: The languages of Goku's, Vegeta's and Piccolo's techniques

Post by NeoZ Duwang » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:14 am

I don't think he ever said that. I've seen many fans pointing out that Goku's techniques are usually in japanese, and Vegeta's in english, never seen the one about Piccolo though.

Goku also uses techniques that are written with Kanji, even the Kamehameha ends with a "波/Ha", instead of just the hiragana
she/they.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The languages of Goku's, Vegeta's and Piccolo's techniques

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:33 am

Toriyama on Vegeta's techniques being in English is true. He never said anything else regarding this topic, as far as I know.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~