One Piece Remake, fans are so lucky...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: One Piece Remake, fans are so lucky...

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:03 pm
Shaddy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:53 am

This one is such a weird accusation, because neither Freddy nor Nevel is really a "neat freak". Freddy's mom is, but that's just another extension of her control and abuse. Feels like they were really grasping at straws for that one.

Also, yeah, iCarly is just. So fucked up to look at as a show from my childhood now. It's the child abuse show. Even before Quinton's giant video series on it I knew shit got rough for Jeanette, but between her book and knowing how many of the traumatic things from various children's lives became topics and especially jokes in the show, the entire thing feels like it was poisoned from the start.
Right, I've seen a fair bit of the show when I was in high school from my little sister being a fan and I didn't remember any of the male characters being a neat freak and assumed it was one of those two, where the joke with both characters was always "they're not real men"

This is the same show where I distinctly remember an episode where Carly falls for a bad boy (or the G rated Kidvid's idea of a bad boy) and then loses interest in him when she finds out he collects *gasp* copyright evasive beanie babies. And that was the joke. She no longer saw him as a viable love interest when she found out he had a none traditionally masculine hobby.
I did a quick glance at Wikipedia and:

>Show about a teenage girl.
>Only one episode was written by a woman.
>The show has a toxic view of masculinity and shallow view on girls and their taste in boys.

Yeah, this tracks.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:09 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:08 pm
Shaddy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:53 am

This one is such a weird accusation, because neither Freddy nor Nevel is really a "neat freak". Freddy's mom is, but that's just another extension of her control and abuse. Feels like they were really grasping at straws for that one.

Also, yeah, iCarly is just. So fucked up to look at as a show from my childhood now. It's the child abuse show. Even before Quinton's giant video series on it I knew shit got rough for Jeanette, but between her book and knowing how many of the traumatic things from various children's lives became topics and especially jokes in the show, the entire thing feels like it was poisoned from the start.
Right, I've seen a fair bit of the show when I was in high school from my little sister being a fan and I didn't remember any of the male characters being a neat freak and assumed it was one of those two, where the joke with both characters was always "they're not real men"

This is the same show where I distinctly remember an episode where Carly falls for a bad boy (or the G rated Kidvid's idea of a bad boy) and then loses interest in him when she finds out he collects *gasp* copyright evasive beanie babies. And that was the joke. She no longer saw him as a viable love interest when she found out he had a none traditionally masculine hobby.

>The show has a toxic view of masculinity and shallow view on girls and their taste in boys.

Yeah, this tracks.
And showrun by a dude whose relationship with his child actors is uh questionable at best

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:09 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:08 pm

Yeah, this tracks.
And showrun by a dude whose relationship with his child actors is uh questionable at best
Uhhhhh...yeah, those rumors and reports are...yikes. I hope he's kept far, far away from girls and women for the rest of his life.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:49 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:13 pm Uhhhhh...yeah, those rumors and reports are...yikes. I hope he's kept far, far away from girls and women for the rest of his life.
Good thing that Paramount Global cut ties with that creep and his production company.

Now about that iCarly "special" (The guys behind the show really liked to promote some average episode plots as specials) where Carly starts dating this guy Griffith (the special's title bad guy), I gotta agree with MasenkoHA that it wasn't very nice that Carly dumped the guy just because he had a "girlish"or "childish" hobby.

Even for a sitcom, it wasn't nice at all.

It's like you're telling your audience, mostly your female audience, that boys that have other hobbies than sports or action movies, are people that must be seen as freaks.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:09 pm

Anyway, Dragon Bal! Yes! Right! So! I sure do hope a potential remake gets directed by a woman. I think it would be really interesting to do that, considering how Blooma is technically the secondary protagonist and doing do would help set it apart from the other adaptions.
Tian wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:49 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:13 pm Uhhhhh...yeah, those rumors and reports are...yikes. I hope he's kept far, far away from girls and women for the rest of his life.
Good thing that Paramount Global cut ties with that creep and his production company.

Now about that iCarly "special" (The guys behind the show really liked to promote some average episode plots as specials) where Carly starts dating this guy Griffith (the special's title bad guy), I gotta agree with MasenkoHA that it wasn't very nice that Carly dumped the guy just because he had a "girlish"or "childish" hobby.

Even for a sitcom, it wasn't nice at all.

It's like you're telling your audience, mostly your female audience, that boys that have other hobbies than sports or action movies, are people that must be seen as freaks.
Yeah, it's the weirdest message to send in the world. Speaking as someone that was a teenage girl, it's not exactly like I was crushing on the guys with 'masculine' hobbies. I was into an anime dork, which is hardly the most traditionally masculine hobby—especially at the time I was a teen girl lol.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:31 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:09 pm Yeah, it's the weirdest message to send in the world. Speaking as someone that was a teenage girl, it's not exactly like I was crushing on the guys with 'masculine' hobbies. I was into an anime dork, which is hardly the most traditionally masculine hobby—especially at the time I was a teen girl lol.
It's not only the weirdest but one of the worst.

As most guys here in my country, I like soccer football but unlike them, I also like to watch telenovelas (soap operas)

I don't really care about other guys calling me "granny" or "weirdo" for watching them because at least, I'm not "generic guy with generic guy hobbies # 2540" but myself.

That ICarly special could've pushed the goddamn reset button in a better way than the one that was shown on TV. Maybe with Griffith doing something way dangerous and Carly realizing she's not into bad guys.

It may sound cliché but at least it's not as bad as her dumping the guy for collecting Pee-Wee babies.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:46 pm

Tian wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:31 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:09 pm Yeah, it's the weirdest message to send in the world. Speaking as someone that was a teenage girl, it's not exactly like I was crushing on the guys with 'masculine' hobbies. I was into an anime dork, which is hardly the most traditionally masculine hobby—especially at the time I was a teen girl lol.
It's not only the weirdest but one of the worst.

As most guys here in my country, I like soccer football but unlike them, I also like to watch telenovelas (soap operas)

I don't really care about other guys calling me "granny" or "weirdo" for watching them because at least, I'm not "generic guy with generic guy hobbies # 2540" but myself.

That ICarly special could've pushed the goddamn reset button in a better way than the one that was shown on TV. Maybe with Griffith doing something way dangerous and Carly realizing she's not into bad guys.

It may sound cliché but at least it's not as bad as her dumping the guy for collecting Pee-Wee babies.
Yeah, that ending is definitely bad, I agree.
She/Her
bisexual milf